Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading a web database?

Options
  • 28-08-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I want to download a MS SQL data base from a website on to a local machine. How can I do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I want to download a MS SQL data base from a website on to a local machine. How can I do that?
    I'm not familiar with MSSQL, but I assume it would be the same as any other. Basically, some command converts the entire database into a text file with a shedload of CREATE and INSERT statements, which you then execute on the local machine.

I could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there is an export facility in the enterprise manager which should allow you to copy all the tables, etc.
    Right click your DB and choose All tasks >> export data and then export it to a local DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If you have MS Access, you can download it using that - it has a built in MS SQL ODBC connector - create a new database, click File -> Get External Data -> Import, then change the "Files of Type" to "ODBC Databases". Click the Machine Data Source tab, and then click "New". Click "User Data Source" (should be the default) and Next. Scroll down and select SQL Server and click Finish. Then it's a matter of following the wizard, and choosing which tables you want to import. To be honest, I haven't used this with MS SQL, but the MySQL ODBC can import/export perfectly in the same manner, so I guess MS SQL would be even more integrated.

If you're looking for it in sql format (say to import it into a local MS SQL db) like the export feature available in phpMyAdmin, I'm afraid I've no idea. If you do want it in a local sql server, you could always import from the remote server in Access and export to the local server.

Of course, if you don't have access this is all irrelevant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Basically this is hosted on hosting 365. I do have access but there doesn't seem to be an exprot option on any of the management screens. I asked their support but didn't get a very clear answer.

Bringing the DB to access will not keep the stored procedures, etc. IIRC. Use a local SQL Server DB and import the remote DB into that ot export from the remote into the local as I said earlier.

• Advertisement

if you dont have it you can download a 120 day version of SQL Server from teh microsoft site [large download]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

kbannon wrote:
    there is an export facility in the enterprise manager which should allow you to copy all the tables, etc.
    Right click your DB and choose All tasks >> export data and then export it to a local DB

I can't do that unless I'm actually on the Server in the hosting company. I'd have assumed there would be some control panel to do the same thing for 356 but I can't see it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Have you any way to back up the database, and download the backup, in that control panel? I use Enterprise Manager's "Backup" and "Restore" features without flaws. The backup is one file that EM turns back into the log and data files and mounts them, etc.

.cg

Ricardo for you to connect to the Db via a web page you need the server name, username & pwd & database name. With these details you can export it via the trial of SQL Server onto a local server.
    If you want me to see if I can do it for you then PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Try EMS SQL Manager. It has lots of add on functionality like quick import, export, etc.

You are probably using ASP.NET Enterprise Manager for managing your database. It's a nice little web program for managing MS SQL databases but you should really get Enterprise Manager (Desktop Edition) or something similar. I find EMS SQL Manager very good though... http://www.ems-hitech.com/index.phtml

Enjoy!

(",)

• Advertisement
Advertisement