Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Tarantino Movie?

• 28-08-2004 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I recently bought the Tarantino movies and was wondering what you guys thought was the best one.

At the moment my favourite is pulp fiction, i havent seen resevoir dogs yet though.

Best Tarantino Movie? 76 votes

Resevoir Dogs
    0% 0 votes
    Pulp Fiction
    23% 18 votes
    Jackie Brown
    67% 51 votes
    Kill Bill 1 & 2
    9% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I just can't bring myself to answer that question - i'm a huge Tarantino fan - can't pick a favourite!

But i can say that his weakest in my opinion is Jackie Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jackie Brown. Real ppl in real life, no comic book crap.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would say Pulp Fiction. Great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

mike65 wrote:
    Jackie Brown. Real ppl in real life, no comic book crap.

Mike.

thats the beauty of movies ... they aren't real.

I watched Desperado for the first time the other day ... I know its not by Tarantino but I thought I'd give it a mention cause I thought his appearance in it was clasic. The man is cool.

I don't have a favourite. I suppose if I had to pick it would be kill bill ... but I think thats just cause its the last one I saw.

Jackie Brown is my least favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'd go with klodax on the notion that jakie brown is my least favourite too.

the best? can't decide. i got the resevoir dogs collectors edition today. such a great movie. pulp fiction is equally brilliant. and kill bill is a whole other beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Jakie Brown isn't a least favourite - it's fuvking terrible. 3 hours of film with 10 minutes of plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Jakie Brown isn't a least favourite - it's fuvking terrible. 3 hours of film with 10 minutes of plot.

There's considerably more plot in Jackie Brown than in Reservoir Dogs. And Pulp Fiction for that matter when you consider it's a series of short vignettes and doesn't really have an overall plot, in the traditional sense. And it certainly has more plot than Kill Bill Vol1, and arguably more than in Vol2.

I'm not saying you can't hold the opinion that it's the worst of his films, it's just your reasoning is very strange.

I voted Jackie Brown because it's the one that's stood up to the most repeat viewings. I consider Tarantino to be one of my favorite film makers though, and in that regard I love all five of his films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Jackie Brown.

Lodgepole wrote:
    I consider Tarantino to be one of my favorite film makers though, and in that regard I love all five of his films.

Tarantino is also one of my favourite film makers...

But as an somewhat off-topic question, would you say he has made 5 films? Or 4 films?

I would say 4 - as i would class Kill Bill as one movie.

But then again, no-one ever credits his real first film (but rarely seen) 'My Best Friend's Birthday'

Also, what's everyone's favourite scripted Tarantino film that he didn't direct? I would have to say Tony Scott's 'True Romance' or Rodriguez's 'From Dusk Til Dawn'

Also, least favorite scripted Tarantino film is Oliver Stone's 'Natural Born Killers' (even though Tarantino hates it himself - he thinks there's nothing wrong with the story - but that Oliver Stone made a sh*te of directing it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

got resovioir dogs out tonite, i thought it was quite good but nowhere as entertaining as pulp fiction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I've yet to see Jackie Brown and I'm a huge QT Fan but I'm just not that pushed to see it! I voted for Pulp because it's classic moment after classic moment. Res Dogs is brillant, only seen it for the 1st time in the last year.Kill Bill needs to be one whole film, looks like a long wait for that DVD.

It's cool that Quentin has made this whole 'mythlogly' around his characters, I can't wait to see a Vega Brothers film or read comic books about the characters from Kill Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I like Reservoir Dogs the most. I actually really liked Jackie Brown aswell but Dogs is my favourite because it had IMO the best characters - Mr. Blonde, Mr. White and Mr. Pink. But thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jackie Brown was a dud in my opinion. So bad I nearly didn't go to Kill Bill when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

weemcd wrote:
    got resovioir dogs out tonite, i thought it was quite good but nowhere as entertaining as pulp fiction

same well iv seen both i mean n i thought pulb fiction was way beeter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Ive only watched kill bill 1 so far, so i dont know which would be the best.....
    but kill bill is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I'm going to refrain from voting because I've only seen Kill Bill (one of those people who won't watch Vol. 1 without watching Vol. 2 straight after so I see it as one movie like it's supposed to be) and Pulp Fiction.

Hopefully I'll be getting Reservoir Dogs on Tuesday and might rent out Jackie Brown.

From those I've seen though I'd say Kill Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

reservoir dogs or jackie brown - didnt he have something to do with the screenplay of dusk till dawn cause that was f'ing deadly

didnt he have something to do with the screenplay of dusk till dawn
    He wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

He wrote True romance too, which was directed by Oliver Stone, before Tarantino directed a film. And he directed one quarter of Four Rooms (whicch isn;t worth wathcing in my opinion).

I think he's overrated. I think Pulp Fiction is superb and Reservior Dogs is very very good too, and because of those I watched the rest of his movies (excluding Kill Bill 2). I find the rest of his films very forgettable to be honest. I think his reputation is undeserved, and that he has it only because of his first two films, and because of the sensationalism attached to them when they were released.

True Romance was directed by Tony Scott in 1993, two years after Reservoir Dogs was made.

The Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez sections of Four Rooms are worth watching. Especially the Rodriguez one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Was Stone the producer or something? I thought True romance was the first film Tarantino wrote, and that he wanted to direct it but wasn't given the job. Maybe they bought the scipt before Reservoir Dogs.

No, Oliver Stone directed Natural Born Killers, another Tarantino script. True Romance was the first script he ever sold and it put into production after the success of Dogs. The first script he ever wrote was From Dusk Till Dawn.

Lodgepole wrote:
    True Romance was directed by Tony Scott in 1993, two years after Reservoir Dogs was made.

The Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez sections of Four Rooms are worth watching. Especially the Rodriguez one.
    Wasn't Robert Rodriguez's segment in 'Four Rooms' the one with the two troublesome children?

If so, it'd obsviously be somewhat of an inspiration for 'Spy Kids'

Lodgepole wrote:
    No, Oliver Stone directed Natural Born Killers, another Tarantino script. True Romance was the first script he ever sold and it put into production after the success of Dogs. The first script he ever wrote was From Dusk Till Dawn.
    On the commentary on 'True Romance', he says it was the first script he ever wrote!

As every script he wrote before that just ended after about 40 pages - but True Romance was the one that he found the easiest to write.

The screenplay for 'From Dusk Till Dawn' was written by Tarantino (from a story by Robert Kurtzman) in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

He's doing a segment from Rob Rodriguez Sin City too,is'nt he, for $1, as payback to Rob because he did some music from Kill Bill volume 2.

Can't wait for Sin city!!!

basquille wrote:
    On the commentary on 'True Romance', he says it was the first script he ever wrote!

As every script he wrote before that just ended after about 40 pages - but True Romance was the one that he found the easiest to write.

The screenplay for 'From Dusk Till Dawn' was written by Tarantino (from a story by Robert Kurtzman) in 1990.

I stand corrected. I definitely read somewhere that Dusk Till Dawn had been written when he was a teenager. It was most likely a shoddy fact from an old Empire.

Is the commentary on True Romance good, I haven't gotten around to buying the DVD yet.

'Sin City' does look and sound amazing.

Good news if Tarantino's taking part in it also!

Shame it's at least a year away.

Nice teaser poster for it too!..

Lodgepole wrote:
    I stand corrected. I definitely read somewhere that Dusk Till Dawn had been written when he was a teenager. It was most likely a shoddy fact from an old Empire.

Is the commentary on True Romance good, I haven't gotten around to buying the DVD yet.
    Yeah, it's a pretty good commentary - a few interesting facts on it:

Such as Clarence's 'i'd f*ck Elvis' speech at the start of the film was originally a speech that Tarantino said in his first film 'My Best Friend's Birthday'

The 'True Romance' DVD is definantly worth seeing - if only for a deleted scene with Jack Black as an usher in the cinema at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Jackie Brown.

but then again im not a QT fan, so what would I know :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Tarantino sold the script for True Romance, and the money he made was the budget for res dogs, if you look in the credits for res dogs he thanks Tony Scott.

Jackie Browne is my least fav movie by the man himself, but consider this; its the only film he directed that isnt his origional story, its a book named Rum punch or something like that, therefore Tarantino should stick to directing his own orginal scripts/stories.

Anyway Tarantino is a god and he is my fav director.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Tarantino sold the script for True Romance, and the money he made was the budget for res dogs, if you look in the credits for res dogs he thanks Tony Scott.

Jackie Browne is my least fav movie by the man himself, but consider this; its the only film he directed that isnt his origional story, its a book named Rum punch or something like that, therefore Tarantino should stick to directing his own orginal scripts/stories.

Anyway Tarantino is a god and he is my fav director.

Oh really , lmao, I thought it was origional, thats why I voted for it, that means he hasnt made an origional film yet.
    what a tosser. :mad:

Another somewhat interesting fact is...

... Tarantino gave Tony Scott the scripts to "True Romance" and "Reservoir Dogs" to read on a flight. Tony Scott read both and loved 'em! And rang up Tarantino and said he wanted to do both!

But Tarantino had to put the foot down and told Tony Scott he could do "True Romance" but he himself wanted to do "Reservoir Dogs" - think it worked out better for Tarantino, as "True Romance" was a flop at the US Box Office.

But it made an absolute sh*tload on VHS in the UK. And has attained that cult status that many films only reach after their VHS release (such as "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Donnie Darko" - read an article in Empire this month about how these only became the cult films they are after their video release)

nadir wrote:
    Oh really , lmao, I thought it was origional, thats why I voted for it, that means he hasnt made an origional film yet.
    what a tosser. :mad:
    Exactly how many directors direct their own scripts? How many direct their own original stories?

Having read Rum Punch I know that it was adapted in the way that Kubrick adapted the novels that all of his films were based on, in that it was considerably different.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lodgepole wrote:
    Exactly how many directors direct their own scripts? How many direct their own original stories?
    Paul W.S. Anderson does, doesn't he? :)

For me? Fave is probably Reservoir Dogs altho' sometimes the constant witty banter of a Tarantino movie really grates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

After reviewing the movie last night I have decided that in my opinion the best of the four is Resevoir Dogs. I really enjoyed it.

Pulp Fiction is amazing.

Jackie Brown. I really liked this movie which is surprising because it's not a genre I watch to often.

Kill Bill is kick-ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tarrentino, has to be the most over-rated property in hollywood. Admittedly I liked Pulp Fiction but I reckon Reservoir Dogs is only beaten in the over-rated stakes by The Shawshank Redemption (which in fairness is better than Tarrentino's effort).

To his credit, the guy does one thing brilliantly: his use of music is superb. Other than that, I just don't get it:

Reservoir Dogs - ultra-violent purely for the sake of sensationalism, no plot worth a damn, guys drop dead in Mexican crosses despite no gun being aimed at them (Niceguy Eddie).

Pulp Fiction - here, he peaked. Slick, witty script hammered along by a great soundtrack.

Jackie Brown - or as we call it in my house: "one good line" (you all know the bit I'm talking about: "AK47, when you absolutely posi.... blah blah"

Kill Bill - over-stylized, plotless junk whose only redeeming factor was the quality of the martial arts and it's soundtrack.

What's the fuss?

Sleepy wrote:
    Reservoir Dogs - ultra-violent purely for the sake of sensationalism, no plot worth a damn, guys drop dead in Mexican crosses despite no gun being aimed at them (Niceguy Eddie).

Which violence do you mean? Mr Orange bleeding to death? That was imperative to the plot, was only gratuitous in that films generally don't show slow deaths. Or the ear cutting? You could probably argue that he could have shown how brutal Madsen's character was in a different manner, but there you go. It also served to add significant depth to the character of the cop he was doing it too. The Niceguy Eddie thing has been explained many times by Tarantino. The sequence of triggers didn't go as planned and rather than spend more money to reshoot (dogs was quite a low budget film), he preferred to leave the mistake.
    Pulp Fiction - here, he peaked. Slick, witty script hammered along by a great soundtrack.

I love Pulp Fiction but there's more violence for the sake of sensationalism in it than in Reservoir Dogs.
    Jackie Brown - or as we call it in my house: "one good line" (you all know the bit I'm talking about: "AK47, when you absolutely posi.... blah blah"

I really don't get why people don't like Jackie Brown. Other than the music and the dialogue, it's a ****ing savage story and perfectly realised on screen, IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'd have to say,

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Kill Bill
    3. Resevoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown

All great films and for the most part I've really enjoyed anything QT has been involved in. He even directed an episode of ER with Ewan McGregor in it and there was a lot of blood :) Definitly one of my favourite directors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

MrNuked wrote:
    I think he's overrated. I think Pulp Fiction is superb and Reservior Dogs is very very good too, and because of those I watched the rest of his movies (excluding Kill Bill 2). I find the rest of his films very forgettable to be honest. I think his reputation is undeserved, and that he has it only because of his first two films, and because of the sensationalism attached to them when they were released.

Hey hey... and i was afraid to post here for fear of being the wierd outsider. Now there are two!
    Pulp fiction is his best because it is a work of excellence and no one can argue with that. Then comes Res Dogs with some more time shifting and witty dialog, i.e the whole discussion about being Mr Pink!
    But in saying that Res Dogs was not in the same league as Pulp Fiction. in fact it is far inferior.
    And then comes the rest... all over sensationalised and none of them hold my attention or memory.
    I seriously think the guy has skill but just do not grasp the level of respect he gets. Until he makes another movie like his first that grabs me and makes me say wow i tell you now i will NOT bow to this ranger from the north!

(Not got a clue where that came from... need some coffee this morning...sorry!)

Advertisement