Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Turning off

• 28-08-2004 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I have Ripwave and windows XP home. If I leave the computer on for a while without using it when I come back the internet won't work.

What Happens is when I open a browser it'll just try to get a page then just stop. This happens with all internet apps.

To fix it I have to restart the system and when it reboots all is fine again.

I'm not sure where to look to even troubleshoot this. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

I'm having similar probs with iol bb and my dlink
    system factory reset sometimes gets it back

On dial up now
    ordered new modem
    Stupid stupid dlink
    Works well for over a year and then acts up like this.

Borrowed a modem and it works fine...
    Except of course I had to give it back-hence the dial up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Kappar wrote:
    I have Ripwave and windows XP home. If I leave the computer on for a while without using it when I come back the internet won't work.

What Happens is when I open a browser it'll just try to get a page then just stop. This happens with all internet apps.

To fix it I have to restart the system and when it reboots all is fine again.

I'm not sure where to look to even troubleshoot this. Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like some sort of dyanmic IP timeout thing. Have you tried simply renewing your IP or shutting down the conn and restarting it without rebooting the comp? E.g., in the settings for your modem check to see if autorouting is enabled, etc., and if you come back and find it's off try and reconnect with the modem itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Kappar wrote:
    I have Ripwave and windows XP home.
    Ethernet or USB connection?

I'm guessing it's a USB connection - in which case it sounds like flakey drivers.

(In almost a year of using Ripwave with an ethernet connection, it never timed out. It was occassionally unusable, and all to often unavailable, but it was never necessary to reboot the computer to connect.

By the way, what are you using for a firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@ripwave,

first off sorry for straying off topic,but which is best Ethernet or Usb?on a BB connection?....

mad m wrote:
    @ripwave,

first off sorry for straying off topic,but which is best Ethernet or Usb?on a BB connection?....
    Ethernet is more flexible than USB (you can plug in a firewall, or a wireless router, or even a computer that isn't running Windows). USB may be slightly more convenient in some cases, but most newish machines now have ethernet on the motherboard, as well as USB. If both are available, it's a no brainer - use ethernet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'm using Ethernet. I'm using Zona Alarm for my firewall. When it stops working I've tried click on the "Repair" button in the Network status but this doesn't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm having the same issue lately with UTV's Clicksilver - only lately I should point out.

The 2 PCs on the nework (one is wireless) lose connectivity and I have to reboot the router (Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway) to fix it... maybe it's an underlying BB issue? I know, shouldn't affect local DHCP but it seems odd that a few people are having the same problem at the same time.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I'm having the same issue lately with UTV's Clicksilver - only lately I should point out.

The 2 PCs on the nework (one is wireless) lose connectivity and I have to reboot the router (Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway) to fix it... maybe it's an underlying BB issue? I know, shouldn't affect local DHCP but it seems odd that a few people are having the same problem at the same time.
    No, two people with totally different environments having "similiar" problems, when thousands of other people don't, suggests that it's NOT an underlying broadband issue.

Kappar wrote:
    I'm using Ethernet. I'm using Zona Alarm for my firewall. When it stops working I've tried click on the "Repair" button in the Network status but this doesn't fix it.
    Turn off Zone Alarm entirely, and see if you can connect (turn it back on immediately, whether you can connect or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kappar wrote:

Look at the network card settings itself. In the last tab of the network card there should be a powersaving option. Make sure "Allow computer to turn off device to save power" is switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I have the very same problem with ripwave. It seems to be problem with time-outs on the wireless connection/DHCH.

You could try an ipconfig/renew and it should work but dosnt always. The best thing to do is to create a "netsh" script, then each time it happens just run the script to request new IP details. Works every time for me,

example
    netsh interface ip set address name="LAN" source=static addr=10.1.1.10 mask=255.255.255.0
    netsh interface ip set address name="LAN" source=DHCP

I have spoken to IBB about this but I didn't get anywhere also changed both my NAvini and the tried a different net card but didn't make a difference. If you use a router then you will have to run a script on the router, this depends on the router.

bit of a pain in the ass but I hope this gives u some relief

onedmc wrote:
    I have the very same problem with ripwave. It seems to be problem with time-outs on the wireless connection/DHCH.
    I've spoken to a couple of Ripwave users, and I've never come across one with a problem like this. Which suggests that It's more likely to be a problem with your PC than with Ripwave, per se.

It not clear from your message how often this is happening. Once a week or once a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

im having similar problems in the last week or so, my computers on the network are losing their internet access etc for no reason

just wondering how many people have upgraded to win xp sp2? I think this could be the cause of my problems

anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I think I'm having a similar problem as you guys. I upgraded to XP SP2 and now and again I lose my broadband connection. But it's happening right as I'm using it (in the middle of a Battlefield 1942 game :mad: ).

I'm using a D-Link 504 router, connected to my PC via Ethernet and connect to Eircom ADSL. When I do lose my connection, I can see that the ADSL Transmit light stops flashing and then the ADSL Link light goes out. If I wait a minute and there's internet requests going from my PC, the link will come back up.

The fact that the link light was going out was making me think it was an Eircom issue...

Skittle

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Ripwave wrote:
    I've spoken to a couple of Ripwave users, and I've never come across one with a problem like this. Which suggests that It's more likely to be a problem with your PC than with Ripwave, per se.

It not clear from your message how often this is happening. Once a week or once a day?

Well Kappar seems to have the same problem so there's more than one of us in it.

Nothing to do with the PC coz if I put a Router in the same thing happens to the Router. NOTE, the Router loses connection to internet and the PC still sees the router. Also not the Navini device as I have had this changed it to a different one.

Dosn't happen too often (1/week) but some days it happens 3/4 or more times in a row. And the Navini device always shows up as connceted red/amber.

Advertisement