Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Offline Newsgroup Reader?

Options
  • 28-08-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

What would ye recommend for a good classic Newsgroup reader? For years now I have used Forte Agent (currently using 1.92/32.572) for great offline thread reading. Sometimes I think the text is a bit small. Just wondering if anyone else have other favourites. Would like to try something new.

What kind of Newsgroup reader do you use in windows (I'm fine for Linux) ? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use mozilla thunderbird for mail/news. Dunno what its like offline (using broadband you see).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I didn't check for quite sometime but Forte Agent is now up to version 2. If you have version 1.93 you can download the patch from their website directly.

Anyone ever use a text "dos" based usenet client for that retro feel? :D;) There are loads of clients out there but I don't want to try them all. A top five would be great. I'd imagine that Forte Agent is one of the best. Been with it thick and thin for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

hamster wrote:
    What would ye recommend for a good classic Newsgroup reader? For years now I have used Forte Agent (currently using 1.92/32.572) for great offline thread reading. Sometimes I think the text is a bit small.
    What kind of Newsgroup reader do you use in windows (I'm fine for Linux) ? ;)

You can change the size and type of text in Options/Display Preferences
    The last version of the 1.xx series is 1.93/32.576

Version 2.xx has better threading/sorting capabilities but still no multiserver support.

40tude Dialog is an Agent clone, much more customisable, multiserver support. I mess around with it the odd time, can crash the very odd time.

40tude Dialog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

delah wrote:
    You can change the size and type of text in Options/Display Preferences
    The last version of the 1.xx series is 1.93/32.576

Version 2.xx has better threading/sorting capabilities but still no multiserver support.

40tude Dialog is an Agent clone, much more customisable, multiserver support. I mess around with it the odd time, can crash the very odd time.

40tude Dialog

Yes, you would think that multiserver support would be there by now since it has been a highly desired feature many moons ago. I wonder is it difficult to implement that. I tend to copy each folder of Agent anyway. It's handle since it runs straight from the folder after a windows reinstall.

Actually what pushed me to look for another client is just the text. It seems many posters must have either large text or small displays. You see they might post a solution for something with spoily space (10 or so lines) but usually I'd see the whole lot. Yes... must play with the display options.... I have no originality in that department. :) Thanks!

Advertisement