Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing AMD XP HSF

Options
  • 28-08-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Wrong forum possibly, but I'd guess all you OC guys have removed a HS or two in your time. I've picked up a Coolermaster Jet 7+ cheap and would like to replace the stock heatsink on my AMD proc. I can't get the damn thing off though and was wondering if anyone has any tips? I don't currently have any replacement processors or mobos around so I need to be careful not to do any damage. I can press the existing clip down with a knife (without slippage) but then I have to force it perpendicularly away from the HS to remove it. How does one do this carefully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Use a flat head screw driver - make sure it's flat and not broken like I once used (slipped and fubared the MB)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Use a flat head screw driver - make sure it's flat and not broken like I once used (slipped and fubared the MB)!!

Yep becarefull with it take you time one slip and you can do a lot of damage to you sockett or MoBo-And use a hairdryer soften up the paste then it should just slide of no problem
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Mac daddy wrote:
    Yep becarefull with it take you time one slip and you can do a lot of damage to you sockett or MoBo-And use a hairdryer soften up the paste then it should just slide of no problem
    :D

What he said. I has taking the HSF off my AMD64, put a bit too much force and the chip came off with the HSF, which ISNT good as its mean to be secured in the slot (with the slip down clip)....i was blessed there was no damage to the chip and/or socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

hsf have got a lot earier in the past couple a years

used to be real baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Sometimes you have to take out the PSU to get better access. Then just get a screwdriver that fits nicely and push down and hinge it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement