Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Robson done a Gullit?

• 28-08-2004 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Is Bobby for the retirement home early (or late, given how long he's managed to avoid it) after another bad result? Leaving Shearer on the bench, though it did seem to pay early dividends with Kluivert's goal, won't help his case with the Toon faithful. Scoring two goals in their last two matches should be doing enough to get them at least a point each time, and shows that their most immediate problems aren't in attack. I'd imagine it's in the club's best interests that they accept the inevitable and bow out of the bidding war for Shrek as soon as possible and try and get some quality replacement (or two) for Woodgate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Magpies could unravel big time or within a month look solid, you really could'nt be sure either way. Shearer can't expect to start every bloody game and Kluivert had a good game as far as I can tell. He'll have to put up with it esp as he must have some ambitions to manage the team. Robsons' future is another matter - he could be gone in a week or bow out with honour and a trophy next May.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'd be surprised if he lasts more than another game, they're leaving points against the teams they need to be beating. It may be unfair to blame Robson but he's the most obvious goat to sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

shearer isnt getting any younger and its only the start of the season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Simple solution is to put shearer in where woodgate plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shearer is only one player and if leaving a player on the bench is partly responsible for one of the greats loosing his job, its a sad day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

robson will live on for now , but if Kluivert starts ahead of Sheaer again and the Toon lose , its bye bye Robson , no matter how well Kluivert does .
    Even a draw could see the end of him .

Although if Kluivert starts and Newcastle win , he may buy himself another game or two , with the same situation popping up again and again , until Newcastle lose two in a row , or it could happen if the result from the next game is unsatifactory for Sheaphead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

He looked scared on the MOTD highlights, chuffed looking for a short while after they took the lead, and then crestfallen. Seemed to me that they were unlucky to lose, Sorenson should have been off for the deliberate handball, and made some good saves after it. Also a wild deflection on the fourth Villa goal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone watched the last few premiership seasons? Newcastle don't tend to win until Christmas.
    That said, when a manager is on his last season, the drive never seems to be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Once the Newcastle Board said they won't be renewing his contract his time was numbered. A couple more bad results and I think Poor old Bobby will be dumped which is a shame. Newcastle will want to be careful because I can see them going into freefall. This time however I ain't putting 20 squids on them going down. Learnt my lesson last time :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think he will go this week,as I think they have a brake with no game for a week or two.That leads us on to another question when he goes who will take over...?I no the fans up there want Shearer but he will need somebody alongside him with abit of experience.

I dont think Shearer will make a good manager,he comes across to me as abit of a ****,but thats just my take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Four games, no win. It was six games with no win at the start of last season and they still finished 5th. People shouldn't be so bloody fickle and quick to think someone is going to be or should be sacked on account of no win in four games.

I agree that announcing this is Robson's last season in advance is retarded, but Freddie Shepherd is an idiot anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Four games, no win. It was six games with no win at the start of last season and they still finished 5th.

They still finished 5th? Do you think their failure to win one of their first 6 games had a bearing on them not qualifying for the champions league? And hence leaving them in this position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

We never play well in august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Healio wrote:
    We never play well in august.

or September , sometimes in October we kick into gear , other times we don't . :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Big Ears wrote:
    or September , sometimes in October we kick into gear , other times we don't . :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Who was it a few years ago that had the same problem....they only started to play well after Christmas so they had there Christmas party in August,I think it was one of the two Sheffield teams.I cannot remember if it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dub13 wrote:
    Who was it a few years ago that had the same problem....they only started to play well after Christmas so they had there Christmas party in August,I think it was one of the two Sheffield teams.I cannot remember if it worked.

Shef Utd ur thinkin of! where bottom or second from bottom one season at Xmas......by end of season there where up to 8th or something!! best finish ever!! next season on open game against Utd all da fans had Santa Suits on....didnt work! they where relagated that season :D

Wednesday usually started good until the board started to f**k around wit managers and now we are in the second division :mad: still English FA have our old Chairman running there money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Newcastle have a horrible away record at the minute. we haven't won a game away from home since October 2003!! now if the toon's are to win a trophy we need to win away from home and stop losing or drawing games when we are ahead(which happens alot at the minute!). I can see that Sheephead wants rooney as a long term shearer replacement but can we not go and spend that money on defenders. Kluivert, Bellamy and Ameobi will do for a season. if we can defend well and nick a goal at the other end we win matches. it's no good scoring 4 but conceding 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

evilhomer wrote:
    Kluivert, Bellamy and Ameobi will do for a season
    ... and if Shearer stays fit and gets played he'll still be the top scorer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

He has done a Gullit now because both have been sacked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

That settles that then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement