Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish motoring laws and myths

Options
  • 28-08-2004 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I've heard in the last few weeks talk about new laws being introduced on car modification. Hopefully somebody here can put some truth on them.

Is it true that if caught with subs, amplifiers, tv monitors or alloys attached to your car you are liable to have your car confiscated my the gardaí?

Oh and on if these things are found when having an nct test performed you will fail?

Please clarify!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

erm...erm...erm! :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fungtank wrote:
    Is it true that if caught with subs, amplifiers, tv monitors or alloys attached to your car you are liable to have your car confiscated my the gardaí?

I doubt it for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I've heard the new law is going to include hub caps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Also the indicators on mirrors are to be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

targeted for what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gurramok wrote:
    Also the indicators on mirrors are to be targeted.

LOL, you no like mercs?

Note to self: switch off the tele while in the car - just in case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Are you just taking the piss or what?
    If so then try to remember that sacasm does not work when writing it. Just for future reference!!

Sorry, yes we are taking the piss as there are no such silly restrictions in the offing, if alloy wheels were banned the NCT would be a true laughing stock as opposed to a semi joke. TV sets are now standard fit in some posh vehicles and it does'nt matter how big your radio is!

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe you'll be fined for not having a TV license for your car TV. hehe. :)

byte wrote:
    Maybe you'll be fined for not having a TV license for your car TV. hehe. :)

Interesting thought! Do you need a licence per set or per household and can a car be included as part of the household?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

you would need a second . as a car would be considerd like a mobile home

byte

Yeah, it's a tough one. TV licenses are for household though. THey'll probably need to amend legislation to include car TV's if they intend to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On the subject of "Motoring Laws and Myths". The rumour that if you have a letter stating you've applied for your driving test then you can drive unaccompanied on 1st provisional licence without getting into **** with gardaí - Is this fact or myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stark wrote:
    On the subject of "Motoring Laws and Myths". The rumour that if you have a letter stating you've applied for your driving test then you can drive unaccompanied on 1st provisional licence without getting into **** with gardaí - Is this fact or myth?
    Myth. You can only drive unaccompanied when you have in your possession a second provisional. No exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

seamus wrote:
    Myth. You can only drive unaccompanied when you have in your possession a second provisional. No exception.
    and even then it's a RIDICULOUS law...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

you will fail the NCT if your sub's amp is powered from the battery. Just remove the connection to the battery and stash it underneath

byte

How else would it be powered though? I assume subs require a lot of power then

Advertisement