Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to shave?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Less risk of irritation if you missed a spot / are that irritable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Once you use the razor once or twice u will get faster with it as you get used to it

As for oil or foam or gel etc...... I use oil all the time......A few drops and it is SO easy to see what you are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i used it, honestly, you get a better or same shave with a normal cheapo razor with 2 blades, these blades are just very sharp,
    And i dont think the M3 power does anything, the vibration just makes you think :rolleyes:

Ah well...each to their own - I'm happy with mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As with any of those razors, it sounds very gimmicky. They may give a great shave the first couple of times, but that is it. No matter what razor you have, there is only so close to the skin that you can get and the 5 o'clock shadow hits us all. So these gimmicky razors are not much different than the disposable ones, except for the price and the marketing. I was using the Contour for some time and later the Sensor Excel, but I have reverted back to the old reliable disposable and there is no real difference. If you are careful you'll get just as good a shave with a disposable as you will with the fancy ones. The same can be said for creams, oils and gels too. There is not an awful lot difference. I got the sample of the Total Shaving Solution. I actually got 3, because the first one had leaked in the envelope so they sent me two more when I let them know. It works, but again there is not an awful lot of difference, so I'll probably stick with the Palmolive Shaving Cream that I use and the Gillette disposables and if I shave carefully, I'll get just as good a shave for a fraction of the price as you guys will with your fancy razors and lubricants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Flukey wrote:
    The same can be said for creams, oils and gels too. There is not an awful lot difference.

I have to disagree there. I used to get terrible rashes when I used to use shaving gels and foams but since I started using Total Shaving Solution I never get a rash and can get away with shaving a day or two after without looking like an extra from a early Peter Jackson movie!

And don't get me started on Bloodmakers, sorry, cheap disposables. I suppose it's different for everybody but I can't use them at all, and what with it being "Blood for Life" week, if I was to use them I think it would be very irresponsible on my behalf!!! ;)

B.

There can be good and easy money to be made as an extra and with the bit of blood you could get into one of those gangster movies and maybe even get a few close-ups or a line of two. It could be the beginning of a great acting career. :)

As you said it is different for everyone. Some of us have more sensitive skins or maybe a point somewhere on the face where we can have problems and have to be extra careful around them so as not to open a gusher. You can cut yourself with any razor if you are not careful. There are differences among the lubricants and the razors, but my point is that they are not that huge and not as different as the marketing people would have us believe. Taking care is the most important thing in relation to how clean a shave is, no matter what you are using.

It's all well and good saving money for disposables/cheap creams if:

1) You have the time to make up for the difference. Yes I believe there is a difference.
    2) Your skin doesn't know the difference.
    3) Your cheap :)

I can see why you reckon they're gimicky - the price of brand name products is shocking...But the way I see it is why would you sting on something you use daily and is important. People often splash out on once off's but then be stingy regarding basic things. Always amazes me the twisted logic behind money justifications! That's my 2cents.

P.S. Yes Mach3s etc. are still a complete rip off.

think hes right about this razor, i prefer my other chepo one !
    but i disagree about the shaving oil, i used King of all shaves now with some gillette shaving gel, king of all shaves helps alot !!!!! no more nasty cuts, well a few.

• Advertisement

Only 2 cents worth Bri? Now who is being stingy! :) Any blade will cut you if you don't shave properly, no matter what lubricant you are using.

Never said I wasn't cheap in other ways!

Yes it will...hence I prefer what I find good, especially when done in a rush in the morning with your eyes closed, for the sake of a bit more cash.

As I said earlier, each to their own!

I don't buy them because they are cheap, though that is an added advantage, but because they do as good a job as any of the other fancy razors and lubricants that are out there. They are more marketing and hype than actual substance. A careful shave is the most important thing and that above anything else reduces cuts and redness etc. no matter what blade you have. You could have the top of the range razor and lubricant and still cut your face to shreds or have a perfectly clean shave with a standard disposable with a few shaves already done with it. It's how you shave, not what you shave with.

Like I said I disagree. You can't be so definate about it. So it's the same to shave with a blade that's been used for 2 months as a new blade? Cos that's the kinda difference I've experienced going with different brands/prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Placebo wrote:
    wtf is an exfoliator ? shaving lotion again....hmmm, ive never heard or seen any of thoese.
    thanks.

Sorry for the delay Placebo

An exfoliator is, as weird as it sounds, almost like a sandpaper for the face.

have you ever used an industrial hand clenser that has 'bits' in it... it's abrasive particles that help clean the hands.

It's the same with exfoliator; it doesn't feel bad, but it helps remove dead or flaking skin for the face, meaning that the razor can get closer to the actual living skin, and the root of the hair.

You should never use it more than once a week, remember, it technically is a liquid mild sandpaper.

Hope this helps
    The snapping turtle of the land of 1212 paranormal

Well obviously no one is going to keep a blade for 2 months, so don't be ridiculous. A "few" shaves is not two months worth. I am making the point that you can cut yourself with any blade and get good shaves with them too, but the key thing is to be careful. Whatever about all the bits and marketing that surround them, there are still just two blades in the head doing the work and a fancy handle or a lubrastrip isn't going to make much difference to the job they do and you'll get about the same amount of shaves with the same reduction in performance as you use them over time. Take a new fancy razor and a new disposable or a pair having done the same amount of shaves and there will be very little difference in the job they do and it is how you use them that effects the quality of the shave.

Like with any type of products with fancy gadgetry, they basically do the same job. Your top of the range BMW goes the same speed in a traffic jam as a clapped out Renault 4, even if you have a more comfortable seat to sit in, and they both go 40mph at the exact same speed! They'll both get you to where you are going. They both have the fundamentals of 4 wheels, an engine, a steering wheel, a geerbox etc., whatever about the comforts of the BMW, which are lovely to have. Still, they both basically do the same job for which you have got them. In the same way, two new blades in a regular disposable or a Mach 3 are going to shave you in more or less the same way and to the same standard, no matter how fancy the Mach 3 looks. So don't be fooled by the marketing men. I've had some very nice, clean, smooth shaves this week, as good as any I have had, all with a Gillette disposable. I couldn't have got a cleaner or smoother one with any of the fancy razors that I have used over the years.

• Advertisement

once i shave up(against the grain), the next day i cant again but some stuble would be noticable, stuble is a strong word, id call it a shade, so i will be staying clear from shaving against the grain again.

The way is to first shave with the grain and then, having got rid of the initial stuff, after a few strokes shave against the grain. Having got the initial resistance cut away there is less resistance left, meaning the shave against the grain is a lot easier and you don't have to work so hard and so don't do much harm to yourself. You have to shave against the grain to get the last bits. You won't get them shaving with the grain. Start with the grain, finish against the grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As for brand, Clinique, it's a bit more expensive, but defintely worth the money.

An oldstyle shaving brush helps also, very hard to buy a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

I find I bleed more shaving in the morning so I generally shave at night say after the shower. Go with the grain, then against and top it all off with a nice cooling balm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

The best way to prevent rash/spots after shaving is to have your shower, get out, have a shave and then the key; GET BACK INTO THE SHOWER AFTER SHAVING for a minute or two.

You're guaranteed to see good results immiedately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The best way to prevent rash/spots after shaving is to have your shower, get out, have a shave and then the key; GET BACK INTO THE SHOWER AFTER SHAVING for a minute or two.

You're guaranteed to see good results immiedately

And guaranteed to be extrememly late for work!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i veet everything no itch or spots....

Advertisement