Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera - opinions?

Options
  • 28-08-2004 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I want to get a new (second-hand) car. I live in England.

I am considering the Almera as it seems
    * cheap to buy (around 8k EUR for 2002 with 20k miles)
    * reliable
    * cheap to run

I know it's ugly, but that doesn't bother me too much. I just want something to get me from A to B with no hassle, but I want reasonable handling/performance/comfort also.

The new focus and astra look like better cars, but they are a lot more expensive.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

silverside wrote:
    I just want something to get me from A to B with no hassle, but I want reasonable handling/performance/comfort also

It'll do that grand. But living in second hand car buyer's heaven, would you not consider something more exotic? Second hand bargains, low insurance, feck all tax and granted, more expensive petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I might be tempted... I'm not really a car guy though.

say i wanted to splash out - what would you suggest for around 10k stg?

I quite like the look of the (don't laugh) old-style Talbots, Mini's, Beetles, but am not mechanically minded so that kinda rules them out, I won't have time to fix them up anyway.

A MX-5 looks like fun but not that practical.

Maybe an older BMW?

Throw some suggestions at me people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

You won't go far wrong with the Almera, looking for the qualities you mention. Someone I know drives a second hand one and does a lot of mileage as a district nurse, never once had a problem in three years plus.

silverside wrote:
    A MX-5 looks like fun but not that practical.

Brilliant car. Impractical maybe, what do you use your car for? If you don't have kids and don't own a caravan, you're grand ;)
    silverside wrote:
    Maybe an older BMW?

Unlike over here, a 3 series can be had second hand for reasonable money. You'll have the advantage of picking one up with full and verifiable service history. How about a 328i :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I like to go down the country at weekends for biking/camping/whatever, not sure how an mx5 would cope with forest paths and throwing a lot of gear in the back.

i might be tempted by a 2000 316 or 318 - are they as good as they are made out to be?

• Advertisement

silverside wrote:
    i might be tempted by a 2000 316 or 318 - are they as good as they are made out to be?

Sound but obviously no performers. Want fun&games, get the mx-5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

impr0v wrote:
    You won't go far wrong with the Almera, looking for the qualities you mention. Someone I know drives a second hand one and does a lot of mileage as a district nurse, never once had a problem in three years plus.

drive a 2001 one myself. 74k on the clock and a few rather interesting probelms. cars had new seats fitted cos the foam inside disintegrated and left metal bits sticking into people. covered by warranty. recalled for a new handbrake and to fix somehting in the engine. new clutch at 30k rear engine mount sheared the may bank holiday weekend. took a week to get fixed. one of the fuel injection sensors blew. all of this is probably due to the fact that the car was only on the market a month when the mother bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

impr0v wrote:

I have a second hand (1996) one too, never a problem, and I bring it down some rough enough tracks etc to get fishing.. (wouldn't do it with a new car!!)

paid about 4k 2.5 years ago and no trouble (and there is 140k on it)

Advertisement