Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War wounds

• 29-08-2004 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Snapped my ankle yesterday. Was thinking might be interesting to have a place for people to post their war wounds.

The real reason is that I'm bored and need some entertainment.

Here is my leg (picture taking with phone so quality not great but saves space on boards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What you were bored so you snapped your ankle, jaysus you need to get a better hobby :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Ouch! I hope it gets better soon. Unfortunately we can't digitally sign your cast for it. Maybe you could write the name of everyone that posts in this thread on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

above: that would be so sad. how could u explain to ur mates..

"Yeh uhm Mrhappy42, hes just this guy from the um, video shop, ummm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

So do you have a war story to go with the snapped ankle? Im always curious about how people break this and that. I don't have any real war wounds or stories to go with them. The most exciting thing was when I feel out of a tree and cut my tummy open (even that wasn't exciting)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

My gran broke both her ankle and wrist in the space of about 8 hours earlier in the week.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 shane_dan

mrhappy42 wrote:
    Snapped my ankle yesterday. Was thinking might be interesting to have a place for people to post their war wounds.

Here is my leg (picture taking with phone so quality not great but saves space on boards)

Last summer during an outbreak of extreme brainlessness I attempted to jump onto a moving tractor. The step was covered in clay so my foot just skidded accross it. The grips on the back tyre gripped my jeans and pulled me under. As a result a ligament pulled a piece of bone off the side of my knee. Cue a full length cast from the top of my leg down to the ankle! Also a badly bruised right leg and back and month of climbing up and down the stairs on me arse.
    The moral of the story kids is that tractors are dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I have many

1. dislocated shoulder my brother was pulling me one way babysiter the other and hey presto pop (i was alot younger)

2. another dilocated shoulder cant remember what hapened

3. a very sore leg i was opening gates and my mom decided to come real close to me , to close and crushed my leg between gates and car

4. a broken collar bone some ba$tard pushed me

5. 10 wasp stings all at the one time my bro told me to poke their burrow he said they would be my friends ( i was 4 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

I have many

1. dislocated shoulder my brother was pulling me one way babysiter the other and hey presto pop (i was alot younger)

2. another dilocated shoulder cant remember what hapened

3. a very sore leg i was opening gates and my mom decided to come real close to me , to close and crushed my leg between gates and car

4. a broken collar bone some ba$tard pushed me

5. 10 wasp stings all at the one time my bro told me to poke their burrow he said they would be my friends ( i was 4 )

Did your family intend on finishing you off? ;)

Mear wrote:
    above: that would be so sad. how could u explain to ur mates..

"Yeh uhm Mrhappy42, hes just this guy from the um, video shop, ummm"

That did cross my mind when I was posting it! I am sure he could come up with a number of plausible explanations! A good way to exercise the mind and keep his mind off the pain! :)

• Advertisement

dendenz wrote:
    Did your family intend on finishing you off? ;)

Give a wild guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I hate anything being descibed as being "snapped".

/me shudders.

Worst I ever got was I smashed my skull when I was about 12 months old.

Bunnyefey wrote:
    So do you have a war story to go with the snapped ankle? Im always curious about how people break this and that. I don't have any real war wounds or stories to go with them. The most exciting thing was when I feel out of a tree and cut my tummy open (even that wasn't exciting)

I was running around with a paint-gun in Wicklow and slipped going down a ridge...and snap.

The first broken bone in my family ever.

I fell of my bike when I was 14 and lost 3 teeth..more of a crush than a snap...I looked up from the road and saw my teeth though the blood. Some guy gave me a lift home, his car was ruined with blood. They are still missing.

Also had a pair of gromeths (spelling?) put in my ear under local anasthetic..you could feel nothing but you could hear it being inserted...very scary. A nurse held my hand and kept eye contact with me...much appreciated. The nurses afterwards told me that the doctor should not perform these under local anastetic...go figure!

Thats all folks....

o yeah...not complaining...was present and the birth of both kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Broken nose when I was a kid, ran into my mate's head for some reason.
    Broke my ankle 6 months ago. Feckin nightmare. My 'friend' who is 6 foot 10 tripped me up when we were out drinking (as ye do) and landed with all his weight on my ankle. KABLAMMO ! Not much pain thanks to the drink !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I hate anything being descibed as being "snapped".

/me shudders.

Worst I ever got was I smashed my skull when I was about 12 months old.
    oh yeah smashed sounds much nicer than snapped

Back from second visit on the leg...another temp cast...might need an operation...will know next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

My dad fell off a loaded lorry in work last Monday, broke two vertebrae. Nice dent in his back, pretty freaky to look at. From the way he is behaving, it must be the most painful thing imaginable to break your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My Granny broke all her teeth last week, she knocked the tumbler they were in off the bedside table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I cracked a rib in June, diving down a waterslide with a sign that said 'No Diving'.
    I now know why the sign was there.

I used to have a big scar on my right hip from falling off a bicycle on gravel when I was 13 or so. That scar got spread along 100 meters of the Cahir bypass several years ago, leaving behind a much smaller scar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I got run over by a car when I was 10 - I survived obviously ;)

So for my troubles I got a big 'X' shaped scar across the crown of my head; a fractured pelvis which shows some scaring; my left elbow was broken in a couple of places and I can't straighten it anymore and a nice scar to boot there too; and best of all I have a huge scar on my tummy where they had to open me up to see if I had any internal injuries - which I didn't, which is cool.

Beat that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

mrhappy42 wrote:

That's some cast for a broken ankle. Are they worried it might spread to your knee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

When i was younger I fell on glass and on the palm of my right hand was cut open, i had to get stiches for that...

Then another time I was opening a gate( this was a big gate) and it fell on top of me, i only had a few bruises and cuts, BUT when i fell over all the strawberries i was carrying got ruined... :mad:

Just before my communion i got stung by a bee on my foot and it was swollen for a few days(my communion shoes nearly didnt fit me because of it!!) :eek:

I sliced the corner of my knee open with one of those hooked stanley knife blades when I was about 12. I had to get two stitches inside it and three at the top. The following week I got the stitches out. Not long after getting home, my father was doing something with a garden hose. He sprayed it in my direction. As I ran to get away I had the misfortune to knock one knee off the other, opening the cut again. So it was back down to the hospital for two more stitches.

Sleipnir wrote:
    That's some cast for a broken ankle. Are they worried it might spread to your knee?

Not allowed to move the ankle sideways as the fracture is at the end of the bone i.e not across but downwards like a big chip.

Keep the stories coming these are good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Flukey wrote:
    As I ran to get away I had the misfortune to knock one knee off the other, opening the cut again. So it was back down to the hospital for two more stitches.

sorry, but that made me laugh

The only injury i've had that's silly enough to mention was in the final lap of a unicycle race in tralee, I was in the lead, but a 12 year old kid was closing fast on me, with only 20 yards to go. I tried to speed up by leaning forward a bit, but was already going as fast as i could pedal after a hard night of drinking, so couldn't accelerate to compensate,, and had an unplanned dismount on the tarmac, using my face to break my fall, resulting in stitches to the chin. As it happens, the 12 year old fell of his uni just before the line, so i might have won without the attempted sprint finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Memorable breakages were:
    Playing mercy (the one where you bend each others fingers back until someone says mercy) and was too stubborn to give in so my finger was broken.

And I broke my jaw while landing chin first from an extremely drunk bicycle. A month later I was extremely drunk again (probably still from the previous month) and walked through a knacker fight, so they teamed up and made sure my jaw stayed broken.

And for a little ick factor, I shut a gate on my fingers when I was young and pulled out three fingernails from their cuticles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

And I broke my jaw while landing chin first from an extremely drunk bicycle.

Yeah I know what you mean. Damn bikes! As soon as they get a few pints into them they're bloody dangerous.

But anyway I haven't really had many serious things happen. Guess I'm just lucky that way. The worst tho was when I was about three. My auntie was swinging me around by the arms and my shoulder dislocated. I was already in the hospital for something totally different tho so that was handy.

So if a bike is drunk, do we say that it is wheelless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Flukey, you're pedalling your semantic word-play again, spoke like a true genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

4 fairly minor things for me : I was at soccer training , doing a bit of shooting practise , when a clumsy ****er of a goalkeeper , comes out misses the ball by about a foot or so , slides some brand new blades into the middle of my knee (blades are much worse to get hit by than studs) , I needed afew sticthes and got them out the next week .

I sevearly sprained my wrist during a football match .(sprains aren't that bad , I continued for all of the first half , even though this happened about 5 mins in , but the doc said it was about as bad as a break , to be honest I doubt that)

I sprained my thumb in Hurling training .(again sprains aren't that bad )

When I was 4 , I tripped while holding a scissors , and it cut me , just below my eye(thank god :D ) , it left a small scar , which I think looks pretty cool , and I would nearly rather it there than not .

Soccer , Football , Hurling , oh my god Rugby's next :eek: .

As I said nothing serious , but that eye one could have been more than serious , remember kids , don't run with scissors and don't hold them point up . ;)

the thing with the scissors reminded me of a small incident with razor blade which I had picked up as a kid and then scratched my nose...the blade shaved a small lump out which I still have on my nose. kinda cool.

Nails pulled out by the gate sounded a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Hmmm lets see.

I got attacked by a Jack russel when i was 5. Jumped up and grand on to my face. Left a few scars by my chin, on my right cheek ( on my face obviously :)) and right near my eye.

Got hit by a van when I was 7 I think. Got blown back and split my head open, lost a pint a half of blood but didnt need stitches amazingly. (Quite lucky thats all that happened really)

Nearly cut my middle finger on my right hand off with a garden shears, cant rememer how exactly.

Tore most of the ligaments on my left index finger while having drunken hiddyback races :)

Theres others but most arent serious enough to be bothered typing up

It is amazing you can type at all with all the damage you've done to yourself and you then tell us that there is more! :)

I still have that scar on my knee, but then it was a nasty cut. I have another scar on right my hand, about an inch long. It is on the top of my hand right below my thumb. The strange thing is that it was just from a scratch. I was out gardening one day and I scratched it. I didn't even notice it until later. It didn't even really bleed. A bit of blood filled the line of the scratch but it didn't come out at all. That is nearly 9 years ago now, yet there is still a very minor scar there in the form of a long thin line. Maybe it is because it is on the soft skin of the hand that it has remained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Worst ever.

Broken heart caused by wee monaghan lass. ;)

Altogether now:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! :)

• Advertisement

did she have a lovely wee accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That's hardly a pic of the wound.

good morning....
    Kold wrote:
    That's hardly a pic of the wound.

Imagingation is a powerful tool...like the hurt of the heart or the darkness of depression. They are all wounds just switch off the CNN mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I was attacked last November by a lunatic with a car jack. He left me for dead unconscious on the ground outside the hotel I work in with blood oozing from behind my right ear. I'm only fully getting over it now, a good 10 months later. I detailed the experience fully in my journal ( here )

No pictures, though...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I just read your journal entry, glad you are feeling better..was pretty traumatic experience bard. I remember when you posted about it in comanbanus. Was worried about you.

Then I read the rest of the page and saw you posted pictures from that halloween gig I set up at macturcails and cut me out of a pic you put up, wtf?

anyway :rolleyes:

The only thing that has ever happened to me in the way of going to the hospital was when I was 9 and in school. I was in the girls lavatory and changing out of my gym clothes and jumping around as a dumb kid does and tripped and landed head first into the radiator. I stood up not feeling pain just felt wierd, then I looked down and saw a puddle of blood and then as I was looking down saw the blood dripping from my head..I ran out into the hallway screaming bloody murder.
    Finally someone came into the hall to see what was going on and ran down to me and my blood covered face.

Wasnt too bad, only had a few stitches and its not very noticeable to this day (forehead) just scared the crap out of me was most of it.

• Advertisement

BEAT wrote:
    ... was in the girls lavatory and changing out of my gym clothes and jumping around ...someone came into the hall to see what was going on and ran down to me and my blood covered face.

I hope you had finished changing :-)

Bard - just read you entries as well. Hope all ok. Must have been some shock.

I have remembered one more , i was in clare island and as you do me and my bro rented bikes , so we came to a big hill my bro who was older went up the hill and i followed becaue i was only 6 so all was well till i came down the hill lost control hit the road hard , riped my elbo and narowly missed a stone wall . When we returned the bikes all my mother was saying was keep the bike to your left , the reason was it was now mising a pedal and the hadle bar was slightly curved ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

BEAT wrote:

Then I read the rest of the page and saw you posted pictures from that halloween gig I set up at macturcails and cut me out of a pic you put up, wtf?

You've lost me there, BEAT... No idea what you're talking about. Can you show me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My only injury I can think of is when I was lifting weights at home about 10 years ago I slipped a disc and suffer from acute sciatica since (my disc nips my sciatica nerve and causes pain down my legs). It's a fúcking nightmare. I've been to doctors, orthopedic surgeon, pysio, chiropractors :rolleyes: . I've even been to see a faith healer. Still not cured.
    shane_dan wrote:
    The moral of the story kids is that tractors are dangerous.

Think yourself lucky. When I was about 17 I cycled down to our local pub to work for the day (in the country). I passed an accident (ambulance etc) along the country lane and saw a small body covered with a sheet. Found out later a farmer and his young daughter were travelling in the tractor. She was sat up beside him (over the wheel if you know what I mean). He hit a bump and she fell down infront of the wheel. He drove over her. Was very very sad. I still think about her when I pass the spot just down from my house. May she rest in peace.

Advertisement