Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinging another computer attached to Zxyel modem?

• 29-08-2004 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've two computer attached to my Zxyel Prestige 600 series modem.
    One is connected via USB, and the other Ethernet.
    I am able to ping website, but i can't ping one machine from the other.

The IP addresses for each machine are:

192.168.1.33, 192.168.1.34

and the IP address of the modem is 192.168.1.1

Is there any way that I can ping one machine from the other???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Have you any firewalls running on the PCs? If so, turn them off and try ping again. If it works, you'll need to reconfigure your firewall app to allow traffic within your subnet i.e. 192.168.1.x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's not a hub/router/switch, so you won't be able to get data from PC to PC through the modem afaik.

have a look on ebay and get yourself a nice little router (maybe with wifi if you're into that) and an extra nic for the USB connected PC, and you're laughing. connect both PC's to the router, then the dsl modem to it too, and you're all done.

if both PC's have NIC's already then use the USB connection on one PC, and get a crossover cable and connect both PC's without a router, although you're limited with regards to expandability.

you then have the two PC's able to fling stuff between them, and you can set up ICS (internet connection sharing) on the one with the usb connection, so both have internet access through the one connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

vibe666 wrote:
    it's not a hub/router/switch
    It is a router - you wouldn't be able to do NAT with it if it wasn't a router.

Advertisement