Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried searching but no avail... have Eircom started charging for overuse?

• 29-08-2004 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I've been away from the computer for a few weeks 'cos I've been busy with work and stuff and I come back today to check the DSL stats and find I am 7298MB over the download limit (Eircom Home Plus, 8GB cap), or, approximately €219 in debt to Eircom assuming they charge €0.03 per megabyte.

Since I got broadband in January I have been using an average of 70% of the limit each month but my brother has been using the 'net a lot more this summer and I think it's streaming video / radio and Flash sites that have mainly contributed to the sharp increase. He also uses the webcam quite a bit as well.

My question is have Eircom been comprehensively charging for overuse of bandwidth or is it still hit and miss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know that when my friend was ordering from them a week a go, they said that they hadnt implented the system yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Let's hope to fsck they haven't... anyone else know anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Afaik they were stating on bills over the past month or two that they'd be charging from august 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does anyone know what IOL are doing about breaking the cap? I'm still under it - but it's by such a small amount that I may end up breaking the cap :( If we get charged I don't know what I'd do but I'd be fit to kill :mad: Usually Esat kick you off if you break the cap, that hasn't happened to us since last year as I've kept an eye on the cap for the last few months but we have always been very close to the cap/breaking it by a small amount. Frankly getting charged for 500MB seems a bit stupid so I'd love to know if anyone has been kicked by IOL in the last 3 months (or even this month!), it would set my mind at ease because so far I have not heard of anyone being charged :confused: by any of the providers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

What do you guys use to monitor your bandwidth use? downloading and uploading, by the way. Is there software that I can use to lock a PC's internet access if it starts going over the limit? My younger brother could be hazardous Re going past the limit when my parents get broadband.. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I know that when my friend was ordering from them a week a go, they said that they hadnt implented the system yet...

Your friend:"I'm thinking about ordering broadband, but I'm worried about being charged an arm and a leg if I go over the cap".

Eircom sales droid:"No need to worry about that, we haven't implemented it yet. Can I sign you up now?"

It must be true, so. Who ever heard of an eircom sales droid not telling the truth?

Does anyone know what IOL are doing about breaking the cap? I'm still under it - but it's by such a small amount that I may end up breaking the cap :( If we get charged I don't know what I'd do but I'd be fit to kill :mad: Usually Esat kick you off if you break the cap, that hasn't happened to us since last year as I've kept an eye on the cap for the last few months but we have always been very close to the cap/breaking it by a small amount. Frankly getting charged for 500MB seems a bit stupid so I'd love to know if anyone has been kicked by IOL in the last 3 months (or even this month!), it would set my mind at ease because so far I have not heard of anyone being charged :confused: by any of the providers!
    Various posters have indicated that they were cut off for the rest of the month when they exceeded the IOL cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What do you guys use to monitor your bandwidth use? downloading and uploading, by the way. Is there software that I can use to lock a PC's internet access if it starts going over the limit? My younger brother could be hazardous Re going past the limit when my parents get broadband.. Cheers
    Get yourself a little app called net limiter, you can set it up to stop downloadiing or uploading when you come close to your cap;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

We have been charged for going over the cap (its only 5 euro mind you but we were still charged :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Blitz wrote:
    We have been charged for going over the cap (its only 5 euro mind you but we were still charged :D)
    on which isp can i ask?

• Advertisement

Blitz wrote:
    How much had you actually exceeded it by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Pity I only thought of this now...

The stats are only updated if you disconnect your modem. So if say, at the end of last month you left your pc on constantly downloading into the next month, everything would go onto the previous month, so you wouldn't be charged for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Pity I only thought of this now...

The stats are only updated if you disconnect your modem. So if say, at the end of last month you left your pc on constantly downloading into the next month, everything would go onto the previous month, so you wouldn't be charged for it?
    na, they refresh your connection every night at about 3 am, they give you a new i.p. aswell

We are on Eircom Business Broadband Starter, im not sure how much its been exceeded by as the stats page is telling me that my username and password is wrong??

but du meter says ive downloaded 8.15GB this month so that many :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ripwave wrote:
    Your friend:"I'm thinking about ordering broadband, but I'm worried about being charged an arm and a leg if I go over the cap".

Eircom sales droid:"No need to worry about that, we haven't implemented it yet. Can I sign you up now?"

It must be true, so. Who ever heard of an eircom sales droid not telling the truth?

I'm sorry, but as much as you may dislike Eircom - I don't think that they would blatantly state a lie to sell a product. Have you an example of Eircom doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

dlofnep wrote:
    I don't think that they would blatantly state a lie to sell a product. Have you an example of Eircom doing this?
    Person: Hi, i'd like to order your 512 service please.
    Droid: Let me just check your line... It seems your line is unsuitable for broadband, sorry.
    Person: But i have IOL broadband right now! I just want to switch!
    Droid: Sorry, you havn;t passed the line test, no can do.

I remember that happening to someone not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Person: Hi, i'd like to order your 512 service please.
    Droid: Let me just check your line... It seems your line is unsuitable for broadband, sorry.
    Person: But i have IOL broadband right now! I just want to switch!
    Droid: Sorry, you havn;t passed the line test, no can do.

I remember that happening to someone not too long ago.

What has that to do with somebody lieing to "sell" a product. And if their line checker is anything like ours, it will state that a line is unsuitable to put broadband on it because there is already a broadband product on it.

In that case, the person was misinformed (possibly by accident) and not blatantly lied to so that they could sell them a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

dlofnep wrote:
    What has that to do with somebody lieing to "sell" a product. And if their line checker is anything like ours, it will state that a line is unsuitable to put broadband on it because there is already a broadband product on it.

In that case, the person was misinformed (possibly by accident) and not blatantly lied to so that they could sell them a product.
    I'm just using that to point out that the people in sales/tech support really don't have a clue most of the time. They might believe what they are saying, but it mightn't actually be the truth.

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm sorry, but as much as you may dislike Eircom - I don't think that they would blatantly state a lie to sell a product. Have you an example of Eircom doing this?
    Okay, you don't think they would blatently lie to sell a product. The rest of us believe that they would. In fact, eircom get regular slaps on the wrist for precisely this reason. There was a considerable amount of publicity for the recent case involving eircom taking customers from IFA Telecom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

That was in may, and i'd be surprised if Comreg actually did anything about it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Blitz wrote:
    We are on Eircom Business Broadband Starter, im not sure how much its been exceeded by as the stats page is telling me that my username and password is wrong??

but du meter says ive downloaded 8.15GB this month so that many :D

whats the url for that page where you can look up your stats?

http://dslstats.eircom.net/

Depending on how long ago you signed up you'll need either your username and password (pre-March 2004 [I think]) or your eircom account number and your telephone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so...

does eircom charge?

how much?

CHEERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Have you tried.. ooh I dunno... phoning eircom.net?

I realise it's unreasonable to expect them to know the situation better than us, but who's to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Come on now, why find out the facts when it's so much more fun to speculate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Moriarty wrote:
    Have you tried.. ooh I dunno... phoning eircom.net?

That would cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That would cost a fortune.
    OHHH Touche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

griffdaddy wrote:
    na, they refresh your connection every night at about 3 am, they give you a new i.p. aswell

....ive had the same ip for about a week now
    i dont know whether they update the stats at the end of a session or throughout, but it seems to be added to the month it was used not the month it was updated

Im stlightly confused here... we have been charged but eircom stats are... well look!

http://www.rallycrossireland.com/stats.jpg

i think a call to eircom is in order

• Advertisement

Argh, fsckin' gob****es! Sorry, just venting...

Advertisement