Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Vs Rangers

• 29-08-2004 12:28pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Kick of is at 1,and its Live on Setanta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Celtic
    Marshall , Agathe , Balde , Varga , McNamara , Juninho , Lennon , Petrov , Thompson , Camara , Hartson
    Subs: Douglas , Sylla , Valgaeren , Pearson , Wallace , McGeady , Cuthbert

Rangers
    Klos , Hutton , Boumsong , Moore , Vignal , Ricksen , Mladenovic , Rae , Arveladze , Prso , Novo
    Subs: Smith , Burke , McCormack , Thompson , Andrews , Lovenkrands , Hughes

<here dub13 change the title -> Celtic Vs Rangers *may have scores*>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Juninho...his first game is aganst Rangers :eek: :D ,its not like a North East derby

Half time score:
    0-0

Full time score:
    Celtic 1-0 Rangers (Thompson scored)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

great way of posting the results. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Fantastic result for the Celts. The joy continues . Heres the report.

Celtic v Rangers 29/08/04
    Alan Thompson's late strike condemned Rangers to a record seventh successive derby day defeat as Martin O'Neill's Hoops went one better than Jock Stein's side of the early 1970s after the 1-0 win at Parkhead.

Just as they did at Parkhead in the final derby of last season, Alex McLeish's Rangers side found itself on the brink of ending that sorry sequence with a hard-fought point.

But Thompson sent a winner crashing past Stefan Klos off the underside of the bar to inflict more misery on a side that had been prevented in midweek by CSKA Moscow from joining Celtic in the group stage of the Champions League.

The setback places yet more pressure on McLeish, who saw former Ibrox hero Graeme Souness linked with his job.

And with owner David Murray about to resume control of the club in a few days' time, a change of fortune is certainly needed as far as the Rangers fans are concerned.

Celtic had handed a debut to new signing Juninho, the man O'Neill hopes will help them to a breakthrough season in Europe's toughest competition and the Brazilian repaid that faith with a man-of-the-match award to ensure that his new employers' domination of the domestic scene continued.

The result left Rangers in third place in the Bank of Scotland Premier League, behind last season's whipping boys Aberdeen.

Peter Lovenkrands had been a casualty of the Moscow setback but Rangers could have done with his pace in the very first minute when Nacho Novo sent Dado Prso away.

The Croatian was quickly hunted down by Didier Agathe, who had to do exactly the same not long afterwards when Alex Rae sent Novo away.

By then Rangers had lived through a narrow escape when a Thompson free-kick was met by Bobo Balde at the back post and there was a desperate scramble to stop Henri Camara getting on the end of the loose ball.

The Senegal international fired a shot over after Prso had been unable to hit the target with a header at the other end and then wasted an even better chance in the 25th minute.

Inevitably Juninho was the man who set it up with a burst of searing pace to fashion a shooting chance for the on-loan Wolves man, who proceeded to fire across goal and wide.

Rangers had been soft touches in last season's Old Firm derbies but showed an almost manic zeal to go in hard.

Rae's much-anticipated first clash with Neil Lennon came after just a few seconds - the Northern Irishman came off best - and Rangers conceded free-kick after free-kick before the break.

Juninho was often the victim, although on one occasion it was he who received a lecture from referee Hugh Dallas for complaining too vociferously.

Shota Arveladze, toiling in a wide right role, fired a low drive wide before Rae was also off target from distance.

But the last word of the half belonged to the little man from Brazil who, after seeing Jean-Alain Boumsong block his initial shot, latched on to the loose ball and sent a delicate chip over Klos and on to the roof of the net.

Lovenkrands replaced Arveladze in the 54th minute, by which time Rangers had already survived a series of nervy moments since the restart, including a low Camara cross that almost found Juninho at the near post.

The Dane was immediately at the heart of Rangers' best chance some time, first finding Novo in the box and then, after Balde had got in the way of the shot, firing the rebound goalwards.

It was a powerful first-time effort but also far too high.

Celtic's reply was a Thompson corner that gave John Hartson a free header from a few yards out but the Welshman found Klos' arms rather than the net.

Celtic sent Ross Wallace on for Camara in the 65th minute before Celtic goalkeeper David Marshall made a crucial save to deny Prso.

The temperature of the game had been raised by Rangers' decision to launch an attack after Celtic had put the ball out so Novo could receive treatment.

Again Lovenkrands set up the chance and, after turning to get the ball on to his left foot, Prso saw his goal-bound effort parried by Marshall, the teenage Scotland international.

Craig Moore was booked for tripping Juninho and Rae was not long in joining him after a foul on Thompson.

Celtic swapped Hartson for Momo Sylla with five minutes remaining before Thompson won the game with a memorable finish.

Agathe swung a cross in from the right and although Alan Hutton beat Wallace to head away Thompson was able to gather calmly outside the box.

He steadied himself, took careful aim and beat Klos with a thundering drive that found the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Rangers piled men forward and sent on a Thompson of their own, Steven, and although there were chances for both Rae and Novo it was to be Celtic's day yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is customary to mention the site you got the report from aswell as pasting it all in.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/08/29/manual_141431.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Would you believe that I had forgotten this game was on? I only got to see the tail end of it - but what a goal from Thompson though.

Overall, Rangers probably deserved the point however so Celtic's gain. I felt that the match was a lower key one it seemed than in previous years, and a long way from the 6-2 and the 3-2 "mega" games.

I guess there is already some sort of resignation at Rangers and elsewhere that Celtic will win it again this year. Thats a problem even for Celtic fans as the league is of no use unless there is a fight with at least Rangers, and preferrably another club. There is no other club is probably within striking distance of the top two and with a Rangers in a bit of turmoil its a 1.1 horse race already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

redspider wrote:
    Would you believe that I had forgotten this game was on?
    Yup done the same thing myself. I dont rate either side but its always an exciting match and I make it my business to watch as much football as I can now that we seem to be getting far more games that previously..

I think forgetting it and the minute interest in the game says it all... If Celtic want to maintain their position as one of the greats, they need to get out of that league big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Was at the match with me wee season book :D north stand upper

Was so impressed by the "wee man " (Juninho) as he is now hailed in glasgow.Man of the match and well deserved.Throughout the whole match he does a hell of a lot of running on and off the ball that you dont and wont see on TV and impressed the celtic faithful with his song runs and trickery i call him the new and younger LUBO !

I thought that was the worst rangers side i have ever seen in recent years they went to parkhead looking for the draw and never looked like scoring well not till the last few mins questions have to be asked about McLeish's future now out of the champions league , 8 old firms without a win the rangers fans are getting frustrated ....

I also noticed that celtic are missing something up front .. "big lazy john hartson" and henri camara didnt once impress me and certainly didnt look like a partnership .. missed chris sutton up front IMO.. there was no point in martin o neill bringing on Ross Wallace or sylla ... should have brought on mc geady and let him run at them. i think its time quinn gets the cheque book out again and MON goes looking for a striker .

the only rangers player that impressed me is boumsong and prso the rest are shíte alex rae is noting more that a hacket man .. and it really looks like these guys are in big trouble finicially ....

"CHAMPIONS LEAGUE YOUR HAVING A LAUGH"

next trip over is 11th sept for dundee and then
    14th sept barcelona hope the boat to troon is more kind than it was on sunday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sarge wrote:
    i think its time quinn gets the cheque book out again and MON goes looking for a striker.
    Well the transfer deadline is today so I doubt we'll see any more. O'Neill was after a few Barca players and had a loan bid for Saviola accepted but he chose Monaco, being drawn in the same group won't help. I think a left back is more important than a striker though. If the worst comes to the worst McGeady or Juninho could partner Sutton. Beattie still has to get a chance and Maloney will be back in a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

That lad Craig Beattie looked decent in the american tour. Still he isnt as big (a name :D) as Hartson. Camara is a waste of money IMO, didnt rate him last season in the premiership either - despite the goals he got. He just isnt a team player. Hartson isnt a strong enough character to lead a line - he is always looking for the easy option IMO.

Juninho doesnt do the whole playing up front thing very well - he is much happier and effective in the role MON played him in - floating behind the front 2. I think mcGeady is a similar kind of player? Solution is to keep sutton fit, or maybe give Beattie his chance in the big games.

Dont know much about Maloney but didnt he score some cracking free kicks over the last few years?

Boro wrote:
    Dont know much about Maloney but didnt he score some cracking free kicks over the last few years?
    He broke his foot in May 2003 and injured his knee last February and will be out until Christmas. He's still only 21. If he hadn't got the injuries I've no doubt he'd be a first teamer ATM. He has only started 26 games and scored 21 goals, although he came off the bench about 40 times (He wasn't going to play ahead of Larsson and they are both too similar to play together). Celtic have won every match that Maloney has scored in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Sounds very promising. I didnt realise that he had that good a record. Lets just hope that he hasnt lost his game because of his injuries.

I really hope MON knows what he's doing here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3615588.stm

Yorke is on very big wages and he has never been at top form for Blackburn.

Julio Arca is also strongly linked, he's a good player but we don't need another left sided midfielder.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

shaun maloney is overrated.

Advertisement