Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection sharing.

• 29-08-2004 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has NTL broadband, and wants to share his internet between his laptop and his PC.

he has an "OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway" thingy from 3com. As far as i know his setup is something as follows...

laptop > router (wirelessly)
    pc > router (ethernet)

router > cable modem (ethernet)

I tried getting him to use Sygate Home Network, but he couldnt get that to work. So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what has to be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Ok thats almost the same set up as me.

here's what I did.

The NTL Modem is hard wired into the Uplink port on the Back of the 3Com adapter. Presuming you can already log into the 3Com adapter go to, i think its the third tab, and select DHCP connections and have the adapter automatically dish out a pile of IP addresses. DONT DO THIS PART MANUALLY!!!!!!!!!! It won't work with a router.

Now when your PC/laptop connects to router you should already be supplied an IP address. From here all you have to do is make sure your PC's default gateway is set to the Routers IP address, normally 192.168.0.1, but this can be different just check it first.

If all that is done you should be on the net on both machines.

Any issues just post

Cheers
    Eldarin

Advertisement