Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To build, swap or supercharge, that is the question

Options
  • 29-08-2004 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Right. I'm in the process of getting a Honda CRX (its either going to be a '88 or '91. The '88 being a lot cheaper), but I have a few questions that maybe you nice people could answer. I want the car to go fast. Therefore it has to have a nice engine, so here's my options (along with questions).

1) Building; buy parts etc, and basically put all the parts onto the core of the engine. Costly, or is that even possible?

2) Swaping; swaping the engine for an upgraded version, or a different engine (Integra engine for example). Again could be costly, and would it be difficult?

3) Supercharging/Tuning; keeping the stock engine and add various parts onto it, kind of like 1) but not as deep.

Ideally I'd like to do whichever one myself, saving a bit of money. I know it could well be hard, but the whole satisfaction aspect is there. Any info and/or input is welcome.
    Ps: I'm researching into the above but haven't come across anything totalyl helpful yet....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cyclonium

All depends on what model and engine type your planning on buying first. in ireland we were lucky to get the b16a (1.6 vtec) engine as a standard option, unlike in the us. this puts down about 160bhp and is the one to get, if you can afford to insure it, which unfortunately i cant at the moment :( If you can brilliant, there are loads of performance parts out there for this engine.

otherwise there is the 1.6 non-vtec, good engine but not that popular, and the 1.5 dual carb, which **** slow and drinks petrol. All cars with this engine are imports (i tink??).

If its performance you want get the 1.6vtec. Or you could drop in a teg typeR engine, and have the ultimate car (about 200-210bhp stock), might be a bit difficult for someone not up to speed with hondas and swaps metinks dou.

check out http://www.honda-tech.com and http://crx.honda-perf.org/ two great sites and forums, although american you should be able to get an idea of what your getting into. just rem b18c5 = integra typeR engine here.

i have a 1.5 dual carb import gonna leave it standard, when i get the 1.6 vtec
    thats when itll all start. :D

btw if your planing on swapn the engine dont get the 1.5, its not fuel injection obviously, thus you would have a huge job with wiring harness and all that crap also dont 4get bout engine mounts etc etc

get the vtec or else wait till you can

just my 2cents dou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Thanks for the advice, I was planning to swap to the B16a vtec. One other thing, any recommendations on cars other to the crx to get? That'd be modible I mean, with a good selection of aftermarket components?

Advertisement