Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I *have* to buy the modem Eircom supplies?

• 29-08-2004 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I got a Wireless networking kit (wireless router, USB wireless key and wireless PC card) on the cheap while I was in the US, Im going to be ordering broadband from Eircom soon (dont like the look of the waiting lines encountered by IOL customers), so I was wondering:

Do I get money off the E100 connection fee if I tell them I dont need a modem as I have my own? (the wireless router). Or is it one of those "you must use certified, Eircom-supplied equipment as part of the agreement" etc etc situations?

Actually, should I be telling them at all that I have my own modem?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Do I get money off the E100 connection fee if I tell them I dont need a modem as I have my own?
    No. It's a free modem, and if you don't want to use it, it's no skin of their nose.
    (the wireless router).
    Is it an ADSL router, or a "broadband router"? Unless it has specific DSL smarts in it, it's not going to replace the DSL router that eircom supply
    Actually, should I be telling them at all that I have my own modem?
    Are you expecting them to ask you?

As for the delays experienced by IOL customers, why not just order a week earlier? IOL seem to be meeting their own "15 working days" schedule fairly consistently these days. (Though if they can do it in 15 working days, there's no obvious reason that they should be able to do it in 5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

I don't think you have to pay the connection fee because I think eircom is coming out with a 2 months free deal and you don't have to pay connection-installation fees.

Advertisement