Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So whats the difference between Ferdinand and Kenteris?

• 29-08-2004 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i agree with you're comments , but this seems to be more about the IOC than football .

I also think Ferdinand's length of ban was correct , and that any athlethe that does the same as him (missing a drugs test without telling testers , or having a legitamate reason) should be treated the same way .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was the reason that the IOC did not take action on Kenteris was because he quit, thus they had no right to take action. Thus passing it to the IAFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Kenteris and Thanou basically handed in their accreditation before they were due to compete in Athens, thus removing themselves from under the control of the IOC and the rules and procedures governing the games.

Under IAAF rules, no athlete can be suspended until they have had a charge made against them formally and been given a right to a hearing.

A three-man panel comprising of IAAF president Lamine Diack, senior vice-president Arne Ljungqvist and American lawyer Bob Hersch will compile all the evidence against Kenteris and Thanou, plus their coach Christos Tzekos. They will then decide if it is sufficient to launch proceedings against them.

Only then, when the case will be referred back to the Greek athletics authorities, would the sprinters be suspended pending the outcome of the hearing

This really isn't a soccer issue to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Amz wrote:
    This really isn't a soccer issue to be honest.

Bit its affecting the bestest defender in the world playing for the biggest and bestest club in the bestest league in the fooking world...

cue "The IOC, FIFA, UEFA and the FA are picking on Manchester United"

God I wish I could be arsed making a card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

soccer is different to athletica, more money involved, more scrutiny because the games are on telly twice a week. yes, rio was made an example of, but soccer has kept its good name afterwards.

the olympics has given shorter bans, and is a mess at the moment. and its name has been SEVERELY tarnished in the process. they could take example from the fa.

this shows that soccer is doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

VinnyL wrote:
    the olympics has given shorter bans

When??????????????

Not to my knowledge anyway.

Regarding the two Greeks I'd be astonished if they got less than 1 year. They could get the full 2 years.

Compared to athletics, Ferdinand got off lightly.
    Compared to previous footballers, Ferdinand's ban was heavy.

Regarding the two Greeks I'd be astonished if they got less than 1 year. They could get the full 2 years.

Compared to athletics, Ferdinand got off lightly.
    Compared to previous footballers, Ferdinand's ban was heavy.

As far as I'm aware the IAAF has a mandatory two year ban for athletes found guilty of doping offences. At the moment however the Kenteris and Thanou situation is only being investigated. No formal charge has been made against them and as I mentioned above they shall not be sanctioned until/unless a charge is made.

The IOC no longer has the authority to deal with the situation since Kenteris and Thanou handed in their accreditation thus withdrawing from the games. I think however it was also a case of the IOC washing their hands of the whole thing and leaving it to the IAAF to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

smiaras wrote:

Yes it happened at an IOC event, but as soon as the athletes and their coach withdrew from the event they were no longer under the authority that governs the games.

Granted the IOC seemed to give them every oppertunity to "escape".

*shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi Smiaras

In answer to you question the difference is that Kenteris doesn't play for Manchester United. Of course you knew that before you asked it.

It will be intersting to see what come of this in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Goddamn it Muppet you beat me to it. The reason Ferdinand got the huge ban is because of the global conspiracy against Manchester United. I believe it's the Jews that are behind it. Or is the Illuminati this week?

Advertisement