Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 - Resetting the Max. incoming connections?

Options
  • 29-08-2004 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Is this possible?

I'm pretty sure this is messing up my bittorrent usage (machine keeps freezing unexpectedly).

Can't find any way to reset this figure to something more reasonable than 10. support.microsoft.com has nothing...

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

seamus if you frequent any torrent forums of any kind you will see that there is a fix for this , but not sure if this is actually what is causing your freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, got a fix for it. For some reason Microsoft have hardcoded the limit into Tcpip.sys, but there's a fix for it out there.

The freezing was being caused by some old Creative drivers from a card I had installed months ago. For whatever reason, when Azureus was open, Windows began trying to start a service (PfModNT.sys) that couldn't find any files, and about 30 seconds later, the system would freeze.

Thanks, flying along now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, got a fix for it. For some reason Microsoft have hardcoded the limit into Tcpip.sys, but there's a fix for it out there.
    Is this a new SP2 "feature"? :confused:
    atm I don't think there's any reason I'd like to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SantaHoe wrote:
    Is this a new SP2 "feature"? :confused:
    atm I don't think there's any reason I'd like to install it.
    It's mostly a security thing, but it's also an attempt to force developers/internet people like us to upgrade. XP Pro is limited to 10 incoming connections, and queues the rest, which makes everything network-wise intolerably slow, even if you're barely using any bandwidth. XP Home is limited to just 5 connections. Afaik the server packages either have no limit or a high limit.

It's a load of ****. I don't see why they didn't stick it in the registry - allow those who know what they're doing to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

If you use nlite to slipstream an SP2 install, then choose the automated install option, you can specify the number of TCP/IP connections allowed. I set mine to 999. I have a firewall that I will use to secure my pc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement