Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Include names of reputation givers?

Options
  • 29-08-2004 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that theres a severe lack of identity of the users who add/deduct reputation from you. Although Im not really up for the whole karma/reputation/points/gimmicks system(s) on forums(but each to their own), its fairly irritating when someone gives you bad pts without giving a comment, or a nick. Personally, I'd rather ask them what their problem is with my post. Sure, if it was an argumentive thread, I'd fully understand someone disagreeing with me, but some of the things that reputation is given/taken for really take the cookie.

Although as I said before, it doesnt really bother me about the numbers/little squares next to my nick, a couple of others have come complaining to me about this. From what I can make out, a friend would give them good rep and an enemy would give them bad rep, no matter what the post was like

I know this wouldnt really be the case with most users, but theres clearly going to be some gits giving/detracting rep just because they dislike someone. And the odd one that'd just do it for the sake of it.

Is there any chance of including a nickname of the person who alters your reputation? It'd stop people from altering anothers rep knowing that it doesnt matter what they say/do, they cant be caught..

(sorry if I didnt make much sense, didnt get much kip last night)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While it might be "interesting" to know the ID of those who add or subtract it would also result in a lot of you-scratch-my-backing or even feuding if the karma is bad.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is also the flip side of this that people can rate a person who rated them down in revenge this way... Personally, I'd rather see the comment box removed, so as to avoid anonymous flames...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think the whole point of it is so that people can give bad rep without the fear of recieving some themselves. If you found out who gave you bad rep you might give them bad rep for giving you bad rep, and then they give you bad rep for you giving thm bad rep for them giving you bad rep etc...

Anyways, sometimes I find it ammusing when I give someone bad rep, then they start demanding to know who gave it to them and acuse everyone else on the thread of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

seems to be unwritten rule that you add your id into the comments box. Either way it should be mandatory to put in some form of text. In other words should only be possible to add/take karma when you give a reason...for all you know someone clicked on it by mistake.......give me points I want to reach nervana...or whatever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what all the above said.
    As I mentioned before, knowing who gave you bad rep will just start a tit for tat kind of thing. I may give you bad rep for a good reason, but you might give me the same just because your annoyed at me for that.
    Generally I put my name on the rep anyway, just so people know, and a few people who have given me good and bad rep have done the same.

Besides, its not a big part of boards, so I wouldn't be too bothered in knowing who it was who gave me good or bad rep.

Saying that, I would like to see a comment, a reason why they gave me bad rep, or good. Maybe set it so you have to type something, and cant leave it blank?

flogen

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    Saying that, I would like to see a comment, a reason why they gave me bad rep, or good. Maybe set it so you have to type something, and cant leave it blank?

flogen

Space bar / .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Exactly, the lack of naming has it's good a bad points - but I don't think I'd be all that worried about who gives me good/bad karma - as someone said, it's only a small part of boards.ie, and *if* your posts are good, they'll stand out and speak for themselves irrespective of one persons opinions on the matter.

Force them to type something would be great. Then if you get 'fhfjhsakf' or '....' you know someone if being a bllx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I wonder how many ppl just gave Tellox negative karma for this thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

mrhappy42 wrote:
    seems to be unwritten rule that you add your id into the comments box.

It's unwritten because it isn't a rule. If you're going to take such name signing at face value then you may find yourself getting manipulated in other ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

damien.m wrote:
    I wonder how many ppl just gave Tellox negative karma for this thread.

one good and one bad ;)
    but the good one had kisses wheras the bad one just had someone trying to be clever. I remain happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

could we give the idea of repuation some negative karma i don't like agree with having to give reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ecksor wrote:
    It's unwritten because it isn't a rule. If you're going to take such name signing at face value then you may find yourself getting manipulated in other ways.
    Mmmm, indeed. OH NOE, Scary User 47 gave me bad rep points and signed it! I MUST get him back. Oh hang on, it could have been anyone else who just signed it with the name of someone they didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

IMO this reputation points thing really won't work, not necessarily because its a bad idea. It's good in theory but it won't work in practice because it has such a potential to be used wrongly and abused.

The examples of abuse are stated by others above.

Example of used wrongly:
    I began a thread where I posted (and which I explicitely stated was) the opinion of somebody else. Yet someone gave me a bad rep point stating that my opinion was "ludacris". Stupid stupid person didn't even read the bloody post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

I would have given you my id if I had done it :-) I think in the recent tread on 'who would you vote for...' a lot of people trashed around with the karma stuff not 'cos post was bad or anything just did not agree with the politics...being able to seperate the two needs a bit of maturity which can be hard to find sometimes if you saw the quality of some of the posts.

Maybe the karma should be about 'how' you express your self rather than 'what' you say....good posts, show consideration, balance of opinion, curtious etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I just think the comment should be obligatory - makes sense really. no ID needed but comment would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

sceptre wrote:
    Mmmm, indeed. OH NOE, Scary User 47 gave me bad rep points and signed it! I MUST get him back. Oh hang on, it could have been anyone else who just signed it with the name of someone they didn't like.

Every time I give out negative Karma I sign it Ecksor. Problem is I only give it to Ecksor so there maybe a flaw in my logic somewhere.

I'd never sign it with a capital 'E' anyway. I love how you give me negative karma online but when I met you in the pub the other day you bought me a pint. Cheers for that btw, although I had a vicious head on me Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

ecksor wrote:
    although I had a vicious head on me Saturday morning.

I love it when a plan comes together... I don't really take any of this Karma stuff seriously, can't say I take boards to seriously either. Sorry I wasn't abite more talkative in the pub, had a pisser of a day and needed to discuss something with the guy I introduced you to.

You know, if you start taking boards a bit more seriously then it might put your real life problems into perspective for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

ecksor wrote:
    You know, if you start taking boards a bit more seriously then it might put your real life problems into perspective for you.

It's less that I don't take it seriously, it more that I don't take the drama seriously. You know as well as I do that one minute someone will be praising you on boards, and the next they'll be calling for your blood, it's hard to take this kinda thing serious. The only thing I take serious here, is the contributions are sacrifices you guys (administration) make.

We haven't even been making many sacrifices since the cops confiscated our stash of young calves and goats.

ecksor wrote:
    We haven't even been making many sacrifices since the cops confiscated our stash of young calves and goats.

They even took syke? Damn...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

my question is this, my phrase keeps chaning but there are no more little boxes...like my phrase is the same as someones with 2 boxes but i have 1 box. So how does the poiint/box system work? how many points before you get another box?

Well, I got another one after I broke 100. So I'm guessing it goes in 100's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well, I got another one after I broke 100. So I'm guessing it goes in 100's.

edit... what I said made no sense.... sorry.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Indeed, You shall become famous soon enough Tellox.

I dunno if that counts as a "psychic prediction", but I do take visa and all other major credit cards.

Advertisement