Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Include names of reputation givers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

apexaviour wrote:
    IMO this reputation points thing really won't work, not necessarily because its a bad idea. It's good in theory but it won't work in practice because it has such a potential to be used wrongly and abused.

The examples of abuse are stated by others above.

Example of used wrongly:
    I began a thread where I posted (and which I explicitely stated was) the opinion of somebody else. Yet someone gave me a bad rep point stating that my opinion was "ludacris". Stupid stupid person didn't even read the bloody post..

This is getting ridiculus.. Somebody gave me bad reputation points for the above post in this thread stating "perhaps they did and still didnt like it..". Thank you for explicitly emphasising my point. *SMACK* you fooking FOOL!! *SMACK* Could (s)he not just have posted that? Here is the post I was originally referring to btw: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182864&page=1&pp=20
    Go to that and you will see why it was wrong to give it bad reputation points. Then you will see on the next page my giving out about it and people agreeing..

I've also got a lot of positive reputation points too (far more good than bad), but many of them were very undeserved, sympathy votes and whatnot. I wish this was just taken down because it hasn't a hope in hell of working. It really only serves to delight the sadistic and boil the blood of the hard-done-by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is there any way of seeing more than the last 5 reputations received?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yes, and increase the 24 hour limit, simply too many people here deserve giant LOLS!!! in their karma comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

PS. If you see any giant lols and the karma is negetive - it wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

BEAT wrote:
    I do not think asking questions about a new feature makes one a moron, maybe if you cared how many points/boxes you had, but wondering how something new works does not a moron make ;)

I never said that people questioning reputation were morons. Unless you indentify yourself as a moron, which I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Whoever threw that Karma Grenade at me.. Grrrr.. thankfully 3 people threw their Karma in front of the explosion defending me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

apexaviour wrote:
    This is getting ridiculus.. Somebody gave me bad reputation points for the above post in this thread stating "perhaps they did and still didnt like it..". Thank you for explicitly emphasising my point. *SMACK* you fooking FOOL!! *SMACK* Could (s)he not just have posted that? Here is the post I was originally referring to btw: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182864&page=1&pp=20
    Go to that and you will see why it was wrong to give it bad reputation points. Then you will see on the next page my giving out about it and people agreeing..
    You're taking it too seriously (wwway too seriously). Pfft, taking it seriously full stop. I've had some funny comments (take note, I like funny comments) & I'm damned if I'd take it too seriously. Hobbes is right. One way or another, it's a game. Maybe we should have some flashing lights and a cool theme song.

sceptre wrote:
    You're taking it too seriously (wwway too seriously). Pfft, taking it seriously full stop. I've had some funny comments (take note, I like funny comments) & I'm damned if I'd take it too seriously. Hobbes is right. One way or another, it's a game. Maybe we should have some flashing lights and a cool theme song.

How is it a game? Yeah its all fun when you're getting good rep pts like yourself, and are exchanging funny comments. I mean who doesn't like a good laugh. But it's an absolute headwrecker when people just start leaving anonymous insults.. Not funny, not even a bloody comment.. IMHO this rep pts thing? A loada hoop..

It's akin to bein in a school-yard, gettin a slap on the back of the head, turnin around and there is nobody there. This basically gives ya the power to do that and it's very tempting, nomatter what the person posted because you just have some sort of inherent dislike towards them.

"your a fool" = negative rep. points deduction = 0.

:p Take it.

Anyone giving me positive rep today will get it back as the amount of recent negative rep will preclude those muppets getting positive rep from me. :)

.. anyone not giving me points will get negative rep :eek: (beyond the usual people I am teaming with). That way I can guarantee I can hit the bad rep muppets.
    How is it a game?

It is a game because the rep system doesn't tell you anything about the person except what others think of them. As others can be working to push people up or down, it really means nothing.

As for the comments, *shrug*. If you come across anything extremly offensive, just forward it to devore or ecksor, I am sure they are itching to try out the new prune option on people. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hobbes wrote:
    "your a fool" = negative rep. points deduction = 0.

If you come across anything extremly offensive, just forward it to devore or ecksor, I am sure they are itching to try out the new prune option on people. *shudder*

Ouch sounds painful. Has anyone been pruned yet?

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    I never said that people questioning reputation were morons. Unless you indentify yourself as a moron, which I wouldn't.

Seems someone mis-understood the above and gave me neg rep. Probably a moron. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

amp wrote:
    Seems someone mis-understood the above and gave me neg rep. Probably a moron. :D
    I was at a meeting on Tuesday, and somewhere in the conversation someone said, "I like cake". I smiled and thought of amp.

amp wrote:

LOL.. I got more negative rep, but thing is it isn't doing any damage.

Post count / How long you are on the board / your score vs other persons score.

These appear to be what effects the scoring. Which is why the rep system is bunk. As it means for example, if your a new person or low post count and disagree with what I say, it will mean nowt.

The only thing stopping the total abuse of the rep system is that you get locked out for a set time before you can add/remove more from others.

amp wrote:

Got neg rep for this as well. My tiny heart is broken..... by a moron...

foxbringiton.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

amp wrote:

ahem, it wasnt me...check ur rep comments ;)

Meh I am locked out again.. managed to get a few people though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boston wrote:
    Tbh I agree. It's getting obsessive by some people. Like post counts are on other forums. People take it to seriously. I've got people pm'ing me with offers to do trades. FFS .

Hey I was jokeing .

anyone interested in trading please pm . ;)

Hi Bubbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

amp test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Where is me fooking stars... Someone can sort me out with a star or two.. Willing to beg or even pack shopping bags!!

• Advertisement

Ok I concede I'm wrong. I'll stop my moaning..:o
    It's all a bit of fun, I understand that now, please stop giving me bad rep points for my above posts. I really have learned my lesson.. They were meant jokingly (the whole *smack* thing) well at least I thought it was funny, probably shoulda put more smilies in cos you canna hear my tone of voice haha.. Damn me anyway I'm the most pathetic soundin personage everrrrr :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

apexaviour wrote:
    Damn me anyway I'm the most pathetic soundin personage everrrrr :p

That's the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amp wrote:
    foxbringiton.jpg
    DeVore or Agent Mulder? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If reputation wasn't anonymous, you'd rarely get any negative comments - it would be like a declaration of war! Sometimes, negative comments are interesting.

However, it would be nice to be able to send replies to people who give you negative karma even if you couldn't identify them. It's very frustrating not being able to reply to certain comments. Of course, then you could get into long-winded arguments with people without you knowing who they were, which could get a bit odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ****** again.

was it that i was the last one to give that user the karma

is there any update on turning it off?

ps ive only giving negative karma in relation to the karma question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

simu wrote:
    Of course, then you could get into long-winded arguments with people without you knowing who they were, which could get a bit odd...

That sounds strangely familiar for some reason. I can't for the life of me think why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, at least an avatar has a human face...

some of them at least.

chewy wrote:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ****** again.

Its to stop you from stat whoring, or attacking people. Of course if you play the game well, you give pos rep to those who will attack for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

I got neg rep and some personal abuse for being rude about fascism in a post. :p I take it as a compliment.

I'm pretty sure I know who it was though. There aren't too many fans of kitsch fascist dictatorships about here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if someone comments in a really offensive manner they can be traced by the mods. I believe ecksor banned someone today for going on a spammy karma abuse binge!!!

On the internet your not really anonymous at all :)

Advertisement