Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest pictures.

Options
  • 30-08-2004 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a look at some of the protest pictures (http://nyc.indymedia.org/media/index.php)

when I came across this one.

z10.jpg

Wtf were they planning to do with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Here's an interesting one.

14032268.jpg

Accompanying comment:

'I don't assume that cops actually lit the dragon in front of the MSG, but it's quite possible, as a means of screwing up the flow of the march. But either way, there's no question that undercovers were on the scene, as evidenced in this photo, with the guy on the left wearing the tell-tale green wristband, the same that all undercovers were wearing today.'

Rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

actually coloured wristbands is how the undercover cops are marked in protest marches. They generally change the color from day to day and the colour is passed onto the cops.

Marchers tend to avoid wearing wristbands, or wear all the colours.

Hobbes wrote:
    I was having a look at some of the protest pictures (http://nyc.indymedia.org/media/index.php)

when I came across this one.

z10.jpg

Wtf were they planning to do with that?

Dunno but if those are the twin towers in the background, it was during dubya's lame duck first year or in clintons era.

Earthman wrote:
    Dunno but if those are the twin towers in the background, it was during dubya's lame duck first year or in clintons era.

Yea I was wondering about those towers as well, posted a reply in the particular forum. I think someone was also questioning the "chicks with dicks" pictures as well.

Edit: Here is the reply I got back..
    uhhh.... NO! I believe that is the new "Time Warner" bldg on Colombus Circle... UGLY friggin piece of **** for an ugly piece of **** company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

There a bit tasteless alright and to the distant eye look more than a tad like the towers.
    Here they are mid construction last summer.
    I actually remember see'ing that.

I was wondering how an indymedia photographer got into a gunship.

Redleslie2 wrote:

They have been pulling them from various sources. Saw AP and CNN quoted.

I am sure if there is ever a photo needed to show oppression of the masses, they would be the best to find it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ColoradoGal

First, here is an explanation of the Dragon/protest scene: http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html#dragon
    - it's pretty standard 1% anarchists in a sea of 99% peaceful protestors type of deal. But it's these flammable scenes that gets the most Press.

Secondly, no those aren't the Twin Towers in the photo - notice they are rectangular whereas the twin towers were square. Also, I don't see the big deal in the photo. Let me remind others that New York City is probably the number one terrorist target this week and the fact that some armed aircraft is watching-over the city during this time period is a non-story. I suppose if the street below was filled with protestors, but all I see are cars lined up at either side. Note that normalcy in NYC has indeed shifted a bit since 9/11. I personally think it was a horrible idea to have this stupid RNC convention in the No. 1 terrorist target! That is the caption I would give the hellicopter photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I personally think it was a horrible idea to have this stupid RNC convention in the No. 1 terrorist target!

Don't you mean it was a stupid idea to have this horrible RNC...

;)

Seriously though...I think the only reason NYC is likely to be the no. 1 terrorist target this week is because the RNC is there. Last week, the Olympics was probably the no.1 target. 4 weeks ago, I'd have said Boston.

Then again...what would I know...I'm no anti-terrorism expert.

jc

• Advertisement

Yes, bonkey that was part of my point as well, that's why I clarified "this week". Let's all hope everything goes OK in NYC, except for Bush's campaign of course. :cool:

I don't see the big deal in the photo. Let me remind others that New York City is probably the number one terrorist target this week and the fact that some armed aircraft is watching-over the city during this time period is a non-story.

I'm not a gun expert (by a long shot), can anyone tell what kind of gun that is? Is it a sniper? It would have to be some hell of a gun to get a straight shot from a helicopter if it was.

If it was a machine gun mount it makes no sense, as it would only be any good as crowd suppression.

Sure someone here can tell us what gun it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hobbes wrote:
    If it was a machine gun mount it makes no sense, as it would only be any good as crowd suppression.

Depends on the nature of the threat, to be fair, Hobbes.

<edit>
    By that, I mean that if one assumes the helicopter is there as part of the overall anti-terrorism security, and not just for anti-demonstration purposes, then the presence of a machine-gun doesn't seem all too unreasonable
    </edit>

But it does look like a machine gun alright. Fscked if I know which one.

jc

Looks like an M60 machine gun. Like this one.

Boy, y'all know a lot more about guns than I do. Maybe I'm not a real American ;)

Boy, y'all know a lot more about guns than I do. Maybe I'm not a real American ;)
    Watch Apocalypse Now and Platoon about 20 times each and you learn a few things. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah you're still American as long as you can buy bullets and apple pie in Wal-Mart ;)

Some excellent pics from inside the convention here. I particularly like "the horror" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It looks like an M60 all right, either that or a minimi. So that makes it either a machinegun (more likely) or a light machine gun. like some of the other posters I fail to see the issue, so what? Maybe it cos I am from the North but nothing about armed security forces really worries me. I lived in a dodgey estate in the north where the main pass time was throwing blast bombs through peoples living room windows. I felt much better when I saw armed troops and police walking past my house.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I lived in a dodgey estate in the north where the main pass time was throwing blast bombs through peoples living room windows. I felt much better when I saw armed troops and police walking past my house.
    Why? Was that the best time to throw blast bombs out the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Why? Was that the best time to throw blast bombs out the window?

Is that supposed to be funny or are you being serious? Either way it is not a very bright comment. Are you trying to make a point?

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Is that supposed to be funny or are you being serious? Either way it is not a very bright comment. Are you trying to make a point?
    And what point were you trying to make with your asinine anecdote? That the NYC protests are worthy of the same security measures used by the British army in the north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 butterKnife

Redleslie2 wrote:

I'm wondering what the make of the camera was? Cannon perhaps!! And how did it manage to survive the fall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

sceptre wrote:
    Ah you're still American as long as you can buy bullets and apple pie in Wal-Mart ;)

/Hides my Wal- Mart reciept in the trash ;)

Advertisement