Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Questions ... Need help!

• 30-08-2004 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hello,

A friend of mine from Korea is getting a very hard time in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone can help me (and her) with the following.

1. She recently moved apartment. She went into her back and asked them to cancel her standig order. A few days ago she just found out that they only cancelled it for one month, not completely. 1800 has left her account. Her landlord refuses to give it back.

Can anything be dnoe about this?

2. She paid 1100 to a language school to learn English. The Irish government has just said that they won't give her a student visa and she has to go back to Korea.
    The English classes haven't started yet...

Can she get the money back from the school? They are telling her to f*** off...

Any ideas?

I feel really sorry for tihs girl and want to help her.

Thanks,
    JV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The bank cant claw back the standing order paid to the landlord, they dont have the authorisation to debit his account he has to pay it back though, she will have to probably look at a legal option if he digs his heels in

The school dont care that she cant get a visa, they are upholding their end of the bargin, i.e. she is free to attend the english lessons, whether or not she has a visa isnt their problem, me thinks the legal route again but i would be less sure of success with this one (the landlord thing is a no brainer from a legal point of view, he will probably drag it out as much as he can though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The small claims court is probably the best option for reclaiming the money from the landlord. As for the language school - it could come down to whatever small print there was on the application forms. Tough and all as it might be on your friend, I presume they included a caveat that getting visas etc. is the responsibility of the student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If she cancelled the Standing Order in writing (the only way one can be cancelled iirc), the Bank are liable for the money paid to her landlord. They transferred money without her authorisation and as such, it becomes their own money they transferred. I'm sure their legal team is better than your friends ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A lot of those schools have popped up in the last few years. I was talking to someone on Department of Education stand at the FÁS Opportunities exhibition earlier this year. According to them, these places are not regulated by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Had similiar probs with a foreign mate in this country.

best thing you can do is go see the landlord with this girla nd a application for small claims court and tell him to refund in 7 days or you 1. Call police to report a theft 2 small claims court.
    Make sure you have evidence of the money being sent. Appear all knowing and threatening he will hand back money. Find out if he a legal landlord if not bring tax offices phone nnumber also. Only way to deal with these people.

On the college if their TandC say no rfunds she screwed, but i doubt they do , you also go to this place and threaten small claims court.

Make sure you have the applications for small claims court , and a phone number for a journo in the Star is a nice bonus can be found on page 2 of the star usually.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A friend of mine from Korea is getting a very hard time in Ireland.
    You really are the man for the innuendo, aren't you? :p Are ye riding her? ;)
    1. She recently moved apartment. She went into her back and asked them to cancel her standig order. A few days ago she just found out that they only cancelled it for one month, not completely. 1800 has left her account. Her landlord refuses to give it back.
    What does her lease say about notice etc.? Did she give the landlord the appropriate notice?
    Can anything be dnoe about this?
    A stiff solicitors letter wouldn't go astray. It's too much money for small claims court. When you have run out of options, then go the council / Revenue Commissioners route. Don't burn your bridges.

Separately, what exactly did she tell the bank to do with the Standing Order (SO or direct debit).
    2. She paid 1100 to a language school to learn English. The Irish government has just said that they won't give her a student visa and she has to go back to Korea. The English classes haven't started yet... Can she get the money back from the school? They are telling her to f*** off...
    I doubt it is their responsibilty to have the vise in order as it's not something they can control. She is probably on fairly weak ground. But what does her contract with the college say?

Advertisement