Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bobby robson sacked

• 30-08-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Well just heard on soccer extra newcastle has sacked robson

who can they get to replace a man of his experance ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just seen this on Sportinglife and you beat me to the thread Biz.......think they will try and get Steve Bruce! has been rumours for a while now! sad to see Bobby go like this! class manager!!!

Oh yeah Birmingham want 5 mil for Bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

WTF?!? Who do they expect to do a better job?

All the recent problems have been of the board's making. They've completely undermined the manager, and I think thats resulted in the team's poor performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's up on the Sky and BBC sites now.

Maybe he wanted to spend money on defenders and that didn't go down well ...

NEWCASTLE STATEMENT IN FULL
    "After a disappointing start to the Barclays Premiership season the directors of Newcastle United have informed Sir Bobby Robson that they have decided he is to be replaced as team manager.

"The directors of Newcastle wish to place on record their thanks for the way in which Sir Bobby has worked tirelessly over the past five years to try to bring success to the club.

"There is no hesitation by the club in recording its sincere appreciation for the way in which Sir Bobby has handled team affairs during that five-year spell which has seen a significant turnaround in the club's fortunes.

"The club agreed early in 2003 to extend Sir Bobby's contract by one further season. However after careful consideration the club decided it was in the best interest of all concerned to revisit that decision.

"The club continues to have the greatest respect and admiration for Sir Bobby and his lifelong achievements both at home, abroad and particularly at the club he has supported since a boy, his beloved Newcastle.

"He leaves having remodelled the Newcastle team with many young players who are admired and coveted across the UK and Europe. The club will no doubt continue to benefit from the knowledge and experience he has given during his time here."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As well as everything else, they have had a terrible run of luck this season. They could easily have won all 4 games.

The fact that Brum have already put a pricetag on Bruce would suggest he's very hot favourite.

• Advertisement

The fact that Brum have already put a pricetag on Bruce would suggest he's very hot favourite.

I would think he will go!! 5mil is nothin to Newcastle if they r willing to pay 23.4Mil for Shrek! Steve's home town club....and if Brum say no he will do wat he did to Palace!! call in da Lawyer and go on Strike!!

Think Dyer, Shearer and Bellamy have all a part to play in Bobbys sacking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

It has to be Steve Bruce, he is going to be the number target with a shadow of a doubt. Newcastle born and bred, he may well be intrested. If not Steve the other old faces will pop up Gordon Strachan, Glenn Hoddle, Terry Mcdermott, Keegan maybe, Terry Venables, And Shearer is also tipped to take the reigns also. Steve Bruce imho shouldn't take it he is got a good thing going at the moment with Birmingham, he has team he wanted and David Gold couldn't have been more accomdating with all the players he accuired for Steve. His team has yet to do anything worth talking about this season but he has high hopes for this side, in two seasons they have come from promoted first division team to a team battling for a UEFA cup spot.

But in fairness if Steve wants a move Newcastle would be just right as he runs a very tight run ship. He is extremely disciplined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Other faint whisperings, probably bs, about Houllier taking over until the end of the season, with Shearer as his assistant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

impr0v wrote:
    Other faint whisperings, probably bs, about Houllier taking over until the end of the season, with Shearer as his assistant.

Newcastle fans will never accept a dour defensive manager that he will bring to them if he goes.can you imagine Newcastle playing defensively when they have such terrible defenders at the club. Appointing Houllier will be suicidal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

impr0v wrote:

Oh dear god!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Travesty. An absolute f*cking travesty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They should go for Sam Allarydce,he may not be a pretty face but he is a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Gordon Strachan is the only manager for the job in my opinion.
    he is a great manager and he is available immediately. He can turn things around i'm sure.
    although i have to agree with The Rooster, we have had a lot of bad luck in the first few matches, from hasselbaink's hand ball to sorenson not getting sent off yesterday!

But when the players start loosing respect for the manager only two things can happen
    1) the players go (hardly likely to sell Bellamy and Dyer)
    2) the manager goes (only have to pay him until the end of the season! to buy him out)

it was inevitable with the start we have had that he would go. especially since sheephead has gone mad! sack the board :)

One man and he is fast becoming one of the best managers in english football.

SAM ALLARDYCE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think the way this has turned out has been bad for Newcastle United. Bobby has been a great manager for Newcastle and deserved better. I think the problems aren't from this season alone, as there were problems last year with Bellamy, Shearer and Solano (who left by his own choice taking a pay cut). I have not yet heard on a pubic forum the real cause of these issues, although there is anecdotal evidence of player power causing the ructions. This may however be encouraged by the environment that the board/chairman are setting out. If they are not supporting the manager properly, things can fall apart and in this case they have.

Clearly, this season the chairman/board have shown little backing for Robson, and both players (Dyer, Bellamy) and Bobby have used the media to communicate, which cant be good. Bobby Robson, although past his best, is still a good manager and its unlikely they will find a better one.

A new manager could do better IF he gets the right support. Whether they have lined up Shearer for this role is another story. He clearly has no experience and I dont think he will do well judging by his temperment in general and his fall-out with Bobby. I also dont think that top-rate strikers, selfish by their nature most of the time, ever make good managers. If they do, its the exception rather than the rule.

I can forsee Newcastle slipping further this season than I had expected, just a mid-table team as they dont have a defence, rather than a 5-8th.

For Newcastle fans the situation is difficult I can imagine. Bobby was seen as a God and this current turmoil has ended up in a right old mess, which means that 4th and a CL spot is probably out of the question this season and maybe next. Not much of a choice for Wayne Rooney/Everton now. Kluivert picked badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Looks like Player Power has reared its ugly head once again. This is a disgrace and Alan Shearer should be fúcked out of Newcastle as he is abviously a selfish, self obsessed wánker.

Thing is though, the Newcastle board should have moved Robson upstairs at the end of last season, rather than embarrass themselves this way - just showing themselves up to being Alan Shearers lackey.

As for the replacement
    - John Gregory
    - Bruce
    - Shearer
    - Del Bosque
    - Pat Dolan ;)

Something the Newcastle board should have thought about is that this makes a bit of a mess of Barcley's cgi-rich advertising campaign. They'll have to replace Sir Bobby's head with someone who actually is a premiership manager now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One man and he is fast becoming one of the best managers in english football.

SAM ALLARDYCE
    ... and then we can all claim he's good because learned his trade in the Irish league ;).

As for Shearer, he's been 'bigger' than any manager who's been there since he joined the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bolton acquire average 8 new players a season and scrape by relegation, how does that make sam a good manager? A good manager would buy better players and use a a better youth system and not scrape relegation. Curbishley Bruce Strachan would be good managers.
    Sad to see Bobby go but dont **** with shearer are others have found out.

kdjac

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm very disappointed with this. Bobby is probably the most liked and respected managers in the game today and he deserved a lot better than to be sacked after 4 games. Not a nice way to end an amazing managerial career.

• Advertisement

Wat about O'Neill.......has been linked wit every job in the UK so I wud say he will be linked here....not 2 far to move as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

evilhomer wrote:
    Gordon Strachan is the only manager for the job in my opinion.
    he is a great manager and he is available immediately. He can turn things around i'm sure.
    although i have to agree with The Rooster, we have had a lot of bad luck in the first few matches, from hasselbaink's hand ball to sorenson not getting sent off yesterday!

I also think Strachan would be the best that Newcastle could do at the moment, he's got a wealth of experience and did fantastically last year with Southampton. He's also available although personal matters might keep him from taking the job. Keegan, Allardyce and Bruce are highly unlikely to jump ship mid-season, McDermott and Shearer just don't have the experience of management to make the jump although McDermott could stand in as caretaker manager for the rest of the season. I don't rate Venables, Hoddle or Gregory to be honest, they're decent managers but I couldn't see them doing well for the Magpies.

Freddy Shepard has really left Newcastle up the crapper for the season now. If he wasn't confident of Robson's abilities then he should have sacked him at the start of the season rather than throw the club into instability. Not only did he undermine Robson, but he also dictated to Robson on transfer matters. With the authority of Robson questioned by the chairman, it's little wonder that the players started too. The conduct of Newcastle's prima donna's was ridiculous and only served to throw the club further out of whack. The priority of any new manager (in my opinion at least) would be to patch things up with Shearer (he has a season left in him yet), find a quality centre-back (a Sol Campbell/John Terry no nonsense type) and discipline Bellamy and Dyer, no player is bigger than the club, if they don't accept that, show them the door.

What's needed now at Newcastle is a strong manager, a Souness or Ferguson type who won't be pushed around by players, at least then, Newcastle might have a shot at taking the elusive CL place. Otherwise, Newcastle are heading for another mediocre finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Two things should not be forgotten.

1. Newcastle had a poor season last season. They went an incredible amount of time without an away league win (7 months?) and were even worse than Liverpool (who were that bad, they sacked their manager). 4th and 5th were no indication of how bad both clubs were last season.

2. If David Moyes becomes Newcastle manager the Rooney transfer might be in the balance again.

KdjaC wrote:
    Bolton acquire average 8 new players a season and scrape by relegation, how does that make sam a good manager? A good manager would buy better players and use a a better youth system and not scrape relegation. Curbishley Bruce Strachan would be good managers.

kdjac

That's not very fair, Bolton finished 14th last season, I'd reserve that sort of talk for guys like Harry Redknapp.

Quote: That's not very fair, Bolton finished 14th last season, I'd reserve that sort of talk for guys like Harry Redknapp.

Wrong Bolton Finished eighth actually.

Willem D wrote:
    Quote: That's not very fair, Bolton finished 14th last season, I'd reserve that sort of talk for guys like Harry Redknapp.

Wrong Bolton Finished eighth actually.

Oops, that just reinforces my points so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SAd to see Robson go . He inhereted a team in freefall and took them back to the top of the table. Shepard is on record as saying that the next manager will be a geordie and if he sticks to that Steve Bruce is the most likely candidate but I wouldn,t discount the possibility of Shearer being made player manager at least in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Bolton also got to a domestic cup final last season. I think Shearer has played a bigger part in this then people realise. If Bobby had remained there to the end of this season I believe Shearer would have taken over then, but i ma not so sure what will happen now. Basically, I think Shearer did to Bobby what Vialli did to Gullit at Chelsea. Having said that I will openly admit I am not the most objective where Shearer is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I said he might last a week boy was I optimistic! :eek:

While a boring manager like Houllier would anger fans he might be the one to knock some heads together in the dressing room and clear out the troublemakers and spend some money on good defenders. In other words do what he did when he joined Pool.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

not surprised, he'd lost control of the dressing room and some of his press statements had a 'i'm going senile' feel to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

not surprised, he'd lost control of the dressing room and some of his press statements had a 'i'm going senile' feel to them.

Pretty true. The timing of this sacking is pretty crap, Bruce has just signed a new contract with a 5 mil getout clause.

If this rumour of Houllier taking over is true I'm getting me a sniper rifle and a ticket to Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just listening to five live and the Shearer/Venables idea seems to be the one thats got some steam behind it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Venables might be the one to placate the dressing room and also provide the necessary guidance that Shearer needs to eventually take over the hotseat and tyneside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I am very angry at the moment .
    If anyone should have been sacked it should have been Sheephead .
    Steve Bruce would be a very good replacement though , and £5 million for him is money well spent .

As for Sam Allardyce , he is a legend , and one of the shrewdist men in the game .
    He has less of a budget that teams that come up , and yet his side finnished 8th last season and reached a cup final .
    They are 3rd at the moment , after 4 games .
    He has also got the best out of Henrik Pederson and Kevin Davies , players other managers could do little with .He is a brilliant manager , full stop .

Oh , and I don't want Terry Venables near Newcastle , unless he is there with the other team or is the Mackems boss , then id be very happy .

El Tel and the patented christmas tree formation, exactly what Newcastle need. Soon Nicky Barmby would be in on a free transfer, keeping Milner on the bench. Bowyer and Woodgate....wait..Bowyer and some other good players would be sold off. Soon after, Peter Reid would suddenly appear in the dressing room, with a 7 figure cheque postdated to next summer as a staying up bonus, only to have it bounce when he trys to cash it in March.

It's vital that they get the choice of manager right now, because this is all starting to have a faint whiff of deja vu about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

There's quite a good few valid points on this thread, a good thread.

Someone said that the Chairman should have been sacked. I dont know the details of the ownership structure at Newcastle, but as a Chairman he is likely to be the largest shareholder (ie: owner) on the board and hence is the employer.

What I still cant fathom is why the chairman has chosen to do this now. Surely when he announced that Robson would be leaving at the end of the year, and as the carrying on continued in the dressing room as it was doing so last season, it was always going to end up in a bad way. It looks as if the Chairman has opted for this current turmoil, which is a pity as it effects Newcastle on the pitch. Maybe he thought the only way was to drag Bobby through the mud so that the fans would be in agreement that he should go. I didnt see any huge protests in Newcastle today - it was accepted. But the best thing to do from a footballing point of view was to do it say during Euro2004. Now its a bit of a mess.

In terms of Bobby's replacement, they will need to get in someone decent. I dont think it will be offered to Houllier and I dont think he would take it either as he is probably enjoying his rest and is probably more interesting in France or a national side. Steve Bruce would probably take it but Newcastle could do with spending 5m on a defender instead of just a manager. I think that Strachan would be good, its a waste to see him out of the game, but he probably wont take it althoygh he may be tempted if there is enough of a deman from the fans and players for him. If the chairman goes for Terry Venables, that would be a big mistake imo.

Another question that comes up is the rating of Managers. Is Allardyce better than Curbishley, where is Hoddle in the scheme of things, Moyes, Strachan, etc?

One way to rate managers is to see how many games they have won, drawn, etc say over the last 5 seasons per the amounts of millions they have been allowed to spend (measured by purchases less net asset value changes and salaries). Here is some clarification:

salaries: 40 +45 +50 +50 +50 = 235
    purchases: 20 +10 +5 +5 +5 = 45
    sales: 10 +10 +1 +1 +1 = 23
    player assests value: (net change) +10 +20 -10 -10 -10 = 0
    Points (all competitions!): +65 +70 +55 +50 +70 = 310

=> Amount Spent: 235 + 45 - 23 + 0 = 257m

So this manager gets a score of 310 pts / 257m = 1.20

Such a calc for all managers would give the true listing, ie: their success in terms of the amount of resources (money) they have available to them. Wenger must be no.1 on that list. This is not a perfect system as it ignores the youth systems which tend to favour the larger clubs and produce more sporadic and long-term results based on investment.

That would take a bt of research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    He acquires the majority of these players for free ya know.. He is fast becoming an excellent manager and their victory over Liverpool the otherday is a sign of things to come in the Reebok..

As for Uncle Bobby, Newcastle must be insane as a club.. Shephard must have something up his slieve to sack Bobby like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Ah god he has left Newcastle without getting any silverware,

except for:

sp10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Hey, I thought you were a newcastle fan???? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

I am but at low times we need a bit of cheering up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

“If you’re a painter, you don’t get rich until you’re dead. The same happens with managers. You’re never appreciated until you’re gone, and then people say: ‘Oh, he was OK’. Just like Picasso.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

redspider wrote:
    Someone said that the Chairman should have been sacked. I dont know the details of the ownership structure at Newcastle, but as a Chairman he is likely to be the largest shareholder (ie: owner) on the board and hence is the employer.

According to the mirror today -

Shepherd owns 25%
    Douglas Hall and father John Hall own 41%
    Dunno who owns the rest, presumably a load of small shareholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

There are three cliques of players in the Newcastle squad...

1 - The old heads : Shearer, Given & friends
    2 - The lads : no names need be mentioned
    3 - The foreigners

Robson had lost clique 1 and 2 and Shearer took the opportunity to stick the knife in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Where would people like Darren Ambrose go in that list ?

Advertisement