Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccommend a rifle ?

Options
  • 30-08-2004 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, nice to see the shooting forum up and running.

I'm in the market for a .22LR rifle, to be mostly used for silouette and paper shooting. My budget is about a grand and I dont mind buying a used gun. As accuracy is my first concern Anschutz looks to be the only choice (though I'd be glad to hear of alternatives)

A good used 17xx model seems to be in my price range, any other ideas ?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sako Finnfire are fantastic rifles, and in my opinion, more of more practical design than the Anschutz.
    It might be a bit cheaper than you're planning, but a new CZ would also be a good choice, too, and you could spend the money saved on a better scope, which is always the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

>Sako Finnfire are fantastic rifles, and in my opinion, more of more practical design >than the Anschutz.

How so ?, although I have found the Anschutz action to be quite heavy when compared to the Brno/CZ and Browning rifles I've owned before.

The Sako Finnfire Range looks like what I'm after:

http://www.sako.fi/rimfire_range.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're looking to compete in silhouette, it's a different set of requirements to paper targets (and if it's paper targes, there's the sporter kind and the ISSF kind!). So you do need to sit down and think about the end application a bit - but then blowing a grand is something you ought to be thinking about a bit anway! :D

The Sako Finnfire does have a lot of fans, and seems to be perfectly suited for silhouette shooters. It'd be pretty useless for ISSF shooting though, because it's built to take a scope or use it's open sights, and for ISSF shooting you need peep sights (scopes are not allowed by ISSF rules and open sights aren't really good enough).

An Anschutz 17xx would be a good choice for silhouette, I've shot with them (though only for fun) in the past and they're good rifles if cared for properly (though leave them to be used by ten years of student shooters and they tend to wear and tear a lot faster :D ). They're not really usable for ISSF shooting again though, for the same reasons as for the Sako.

If you were looking to start off in ISSF shooting, you're looking pretty much at something like a second-hand Walther, Feinwerkbau or Anschutz, and that'd knock you back the guts of the grand.

But so far you're just looking at the rifle - have you thought about your budget for the other pieces of kit (jackets, scopes and whatnot) as well?

>If you're looking to compete in silhouette, it's a different set of requirements to >paper targets

Yep i'm leaning toward the silhouette end of the scale and sporting side of paper shooting. I'd rather a target styled rifle ala the Sako Finnfire "Range" or Anschutz 64R etc, but I need more advice. Basically a gun that'll be competitive should I be able to shoot that well.

>The Sako Finnfire does have a lot of fans, and seems to be perfectly suited for >silhouette shooters. It'd be pretty useless for ISSF shooting though,

At the moment ISSF is not my main aim, as I'd be using a scope 100% of the time.

>But so far you're just looking at the rifle - have you thought about your budget for the >other pieces of kit (jackets, scopes and whatnot) as well?

I have been pricing all the other bits and bobs, but I plan on picking them up as I go along. getting the best rifle/scope combo I can afford is my first step.

Thanks for the help.

The Finnfire Range is a heavy fecker, being more suited to benchrest and the like. The Finnfire Varmint was my own choice, still has a very accurate barrel, but not too heavy to bring misfortune upon the occasional rabbit when that is desired/

I reckon the Sako is more practical than then Anschutz mainly because of the stock, The Anschutz has a typically german fancy highly polished stock, with rollover cheekpiece, schnabel forend etc. The Sako has a wonderfully ergonomic piece of wood, with no unnecessary ornamentation. I prefer to shoot rifles than look at them.

How much were you planning spending on the scope?

• Advertisement

> How much were you planning spending on the scope?

Well I was originally planning on scope / rifle combo to come to 1k, but I'd pay extra for quality. Any price ranges / makes I should be looking for.

My current spec is 40mm objective (adjustible for parallax) and large magnification ( 30x +, prob zoom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

*** CLOSED *** Moved to Red neck forum :D

Batbat wrote:
    *** CLOSED *** Moved to Red neck forum :D

Kindof funny Batbat, but also kindof easy to take the wrong way and get insulted by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Sparks wrote:
    Kindof funny Batbat, but also kindof easy to take the wrong way and get insulted by...

no offence just following the conversation, only joking, bored at work

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

Haket wrote:
    >If you're looking to compete in silhouette, it's a different set of requirements to >paper targets

Yep i'm leaning toward the silhouette end of the scale and sporting side of paper shooting. I'd rather a target styled rifle ala the Sako Finnfire "Range" or Anschutz 64R etc, but I need more advice. Basically a gun that'll be competitive should I be able to shoot that well.

>The Sako Finnfire does have a lot of fans, and seems to be perfectly suited for >silhouette shooters. It'd be pretty useless for ISSF shooting though,

At the moment ISSF is not my main aim, as I'd be using a scope 100% of the time.

>But so far you're just looking at the rifle - have you thought about your budget for the >other pieces of kit (jackets, scopes and whatnot) as well?

I have been pricing all the other bits and bobs, but I plan on picking them up as I go along. getting the best rifle/scope combo I can afford is my first step.

Thanks for the help.
    I have both a sako finfire p94s finfire and an anschutz 1710d both of which I shoot silhouette with , the sako in light ( hunter) class and the 1710 in heavy class as its the one with a heavy stainless barrel I have . I won gold and silver in south africa with the sako in april and brought back 5 trophies from the US nationals in July with it as well . I cannot reccomend this gun enough. There are some things I prefer on the anschutz such as the trigger but the sako is a great little gun . Fyi you cannot shoot sils with a sako range as the stock shape is illegal for sils , The stock on the range is great as its the same stock as on my TIKKA 695 in 6.5x55 but is not going to work on sils for you. Also buying the varmint model is no advantage to you as it will limit you to the heavy class only and I have tried mine against the varmint model and see no improvement in accuracy . also worth noting is that a lot of wooden stocked 1710's fall into heavy class in immsu rules and some even into heavy class in nra rules and that limits your shooting big time . Be very slow to buy a 30x scope , it takes years to get used to them . I shoot weaver 36x scopes and they take a long time to get used to . if you have the money a leupold 6.5-20 vx3 efr is a good scope for life and premier reticles can boost its power for you in a few years when you need something stronger .
    Hope this helps a little

• Advertisement

Thats great info, thanks oldzed.

Just an update, I bought a 2nd hand Anschutz 1710 (think its the heavy barrell model, how do I tell ?) and an Optimate 8-32x target scope (anyone experience of this brand ?).

The quality of the Anschutz is quite impressive, and just working the action is a joy. Thanks for all the advice peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Haket wrote:
    Just an update, I bought a 2nd hand Anszhuts 1710 (think its the heavy barrell model, how do I tell ?) and an Optimate 8-32x target scope (anyone experience of this brand ?).

The quality of the Anschutz is quite impressive, and just working the action is a joy. Thanks for all the advice peeps.
    Have a look at the barrel diameter at the muzzle compared to other rifles,if it is bigger it is the heavy barrel. Optimate is Edgar Brothers UK own brand scope,they have two models,the Opti Mate and the Opti Too. One is higher spec than the other but I can't remember which is which.

Optimate is the higher spec.

> Have a look at the barrel diameter at the muzzle compared to other rifles,if it is
    > bigger it is the heavy barrel.

I guessed as much but I've nothing to compare it against. It doesn't seem to taper much at the muzzle, which seems to suggest heavy barrell to me. Plus it weighs a ton :-)

Roughly what diameter is the barrel at the muzzle? Generally heavy barrels run around 20-25mm.

I measured the muzzle end at just over 17mm. I know the heavy barred versions of the 10/22 can be up to a inch in diameter, but I expected the Anschutz/Sako type heavy barrels to be a more medium size, just slightly larger than the stock "hunting" type.

(17-5.6)2 -> 5.7mm or so of metal either side of the hole -> it's a heavy barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bob001

i'm here in ireland, co. clare and i'm 17 yrs old. i'm seriously thinking about purchasing my first rifle when i reach 18. i live on a farm and my friends hunt so i got inspired. i have a budget of a flexible 700 euro end need it to be relitvely easy to maintain and use. mainly will be used for hunting large birds, relitively small animales and paper target practice. has anyone any recomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

bob001 wrote:
    i'm here in ireland, co. clare and i'm 17 yrs old. i'm seriously thinking about purchasing my first rifle when i reach 18. i live on a farm and my friends hunt so i got inspired. i have a budget of a flexible 700 euro end need it to be relitvely easy to maintain and use. mainly will be used for hunting large birds, relitively small animales and paper target practice. has anyone any recomendations?

Where are ya from in clare, I'm from Clare too. My first piece of advice is join a gun club. I'm sure you know what species you are allowed to shoot with rifles and all that but it is worth asking someone about it all the same.

• Advertisement

bob001 wrote:

Veg's advice is good advice - join a local club and learn how to shoot before investing the guts of a grand in a new rifle. not only will you learn how to shoot well, you could find a far superior rifle second-hand.

Personally, I think the best cartridge rifle to start on would be a single-shot .22lr so as to learn cheaply. But I'm fairly sure it's not legal to hunt birds with a rifle - and it's certainly not safe to shoot at them with one unless it's an air rifle, as the .22 round has such a long lethal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    Veg's advice is good advice - join a local club and learn how to shoot before investing the guts of a grand in a new rifle. not only will you learn how to shoot well, you could find a far superior rifle second-hand.

Personally, I think the best cartridge rifle to start on would be a single-shot .22lr so as to learn cheaply. But I'm fairly sure it's not legal to hunt birds with a rifle - and it's certainly not safe to shoot at them with one unless it's an air rifle, as the .22 round has such a long lethal range.

Birds can be shot with a rifle all right only vermin though, grey crows, magpies and so on. Never ever ever shoot a rifle in the air or over water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bob001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

did'nt we do this already

Cz zkm 472 i tink that is the modle good from all accounts,cost accuracy weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah id say cz 452 they're extremely great value and nothing near there price range is as accurate. With 2 simple modifications they can be made to get very small groups.

.22lr would be best to start with if your only hunting small game or for larger game .22wmr or .17hmr would but the 22 long is very cheap on ammo.

gun should cost you anywhere up to 450 i paid 300 for mine its 7 years old but in great condition and getting groups around half inch or less at 50 yards with it which is fantasic. That will leave you with 350 for a scope which will buy you a very decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

As Sparks plus others said you can't go far wrong with an Anschutz, readily available for all budgets and plenty of parts and accessories available.

Advertisement