Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Vodafone.ie (on-line texting)

• 30-08-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Anyone who uses Vodafone.ie for sending texts on-line will know that at the best of times it is as slow as Xmas. Does anyone know of any other websites that provide on-line text utility?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

IIRC, ICQ allows you to text from your PC - it wont be your mobile number it arrives from though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

IIRC, ICQ allows you to text from your PC - it wont be your mobile number it arrives from though...

Thanks Robert but ICQ is blocked from work. Any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thanks Robert but ICQ is blocked from work. Any others?

Is the web version blocked as well? It supports texting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Have you tried googling it. You get alot if you search for a differant topic like "funny sms messeges" and there might be one on that site - better than directly searching for it but few will send to Ireland.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Is the web version blocked as well? It supports texting.

Web version is not blocked for me :) however when I sent a test text message I get "The SMS message could not be sent. An error had occured, please try again" :(

Under select country = Ireland
    Network # (area code) = 087
    Cell phone number = phone number.

What am I doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I haven't used ICQ, but have you tried using just 87 instead of 087, they probally use the international code from the country selection so it would be 35387... mobile number. :eek:

Gideon wrote:
    I haven't used ICQ, but have you tried using just 87 instead of 087, they probally use the international code from the country selection so it would be 35387... mobile number. :eek:

Nope didn't work I'm afriad. ICQ web sms --> http://web.icq.com/sms/login

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I don't find Vodafone to be that slow at all. Quite handy actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jesjes wrote:
    I don't find Vodafone to be that slow at all. Quite handy actually!

Yeah same here.
    It's not slow at all, if anything it's quite fast tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sending texts is very quick (once logged in).
    Its the actual site that is very slow.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I just saved the log in page on my favorites, which cuts out the majority of the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

www.11850.ie
    or www.11850.net cant remember which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If you use a proxy, i'm sure vodafone.ie will be faster for you.

The ICQ problem- under the "your number, try leaving out the 0 (zero) at the start if your number and the number you're sending to. Numbers have to be sent like +35387....

Also try iol.ie for sms's. The link is on the left.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Webmonkey made a wee app that allows you to use your Vodafone SMS without needing to log into Vodafone site. It's here and he offered it as a zip too, if you prefer to upload to your own server. Mentioned in Mobiles forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Sometime there are problems getting into the Vodafone site at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

daveg wrote:
    Anyone who uses Vodafone.ie for sending texts on-line will know that at the best of times it is as slow as Xmas.

Christmas goes by way too fast :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

bombidol wrote:

lol, anyone tried that site in firefox?
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it's a disaster! Vodafone Mail doesn't work too well with Firefox either. The pop up mail box doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If you're a VHI member, you can send text messages to any mobile.
    It doesn't come from your number however and if someone replies directly, you don't receive it. Bit crap that way, and a simple bit of programming would remedy it.. ah well..

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Did anyone have the problem where you had to sign up for free credit everytime you wanted to logon, even though I'm on contract. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement