Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test waiting times

Options
  • 30-08-2004 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭

I want to try and get my full licence by the start of February as my parents' insurance policy comes up for renewal then and my insurance premium as a provisional named driver is punitive to say the least. I'm a native of Cork but if I apply to Cork test centre now I won't have my test by then. Thinking of applying to Ennis test centre as http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/passrates.html says the waiting time is 12 weeks (it's probably gone up since then but I've 8 weeks breathing room). Is there much drift in the waiting times since this document was published? Also is it a rediculous idea applying for your driving test in an unfamiliar area? I guess its Ennis so I probably won't be too worried about roads with loads of lanes which always trips me up in a unfamiliar area (I'm rarely sure what's the correct lane to go into unless I know the area).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The list on the site is updated every two months afaik, (and the 8th June means it was updated around mid-June) so it should be updated pretty soon.

Waiting times have more or less levelled out over the last 6 months - Centres with high waiting times have mostly stayed as is, or dropped slightly, while ones with lower waits have increased slightly, as more people applied to them to get a quicker test.

It shouldn't be long before we start to see a very gradual drop. It'll be a couple of years before they return to normal if there are no changes to the system though.

I wouldn't see a big issue with applying for a faraway centre. I'm doing the same thing on the bike - applied to Athlone a few months back, so it shouldn't be long now (if the waiting time hasn't shot up).
    The best advice would be (if possible) to book a driving lesson with a local instrcutor as close to the test as you can - a weekend or whatever. Bring a willing mate with you (who has a full licence) to accompany you on the pre-test (to familiarise himself with the route too), and then spend a few hours that day, after the pretest, going around and around the same circuit. Have him pull little tricks on you, bring you a slightly alternate route, etc.

I would say that part of the reason why a lot of people fail is because they're not familiar with the road. If you can be familiar with the route - each road has its own nuances, its own pitfalls - then you can spend more time concentrating on driving correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Someone suggested applying for a "cancellation"? Sounds risky though, what if they give me a cancelled appointment space too soon and I don't have time to practice. On the other hand if I leave it too long to apply I might not get the cancellation and end up missing the oppurtunity to do the test in Ennis. *sigh* what a headache :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

My friend applied for his test in Ennis in early June. He got the letter with the date a week ago - September 20th or so.

Thats 15 or so weeks.
    I applied for my test here in Ennis, a month ago. I'll keep you updated as to when my test is :).

You can get your test forwarded if you keep ringing them up, nagging and nagging to get a quicker test. Make up some excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

seamus wrote:
    I wouldn't see a big issue with applying for a faraway centre. I'm doing the same thing on the bike - applied to Athlone a few months back, so it shouldn't be long now (if the waiting time hasn't shot up).

not sure about the few months wait.
    i applied for a bike test in raheny in july and had a date within2 weeks and sat the test 4 weeks later [passed on moday :D]
    maybe i just got lucky but a friend told me to apply as he said bikes where getting doen fairly quick and it seems he was right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chalk wrote:
    not sure about the few months wait.
    i applied for a bike test in raheny in july and had a date within2 weeks and sat the test 4 weeks later [passed on moday :D]
    maybe i just got lucky but a friend told me to apply as he said bikes where getting doen fairly quick and it seems he was right ;)
    Feck. How does that work? Isn't Raheny the one doing a slightly different bike test, or am I way off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

You all seem to be very lucky - I applied for my test in south tipp in april 2003 & I only got my date a week ago for sept!!! How mad is that? I even had to get a new license while I was waiting - it's such a rip - off..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

hmm not sure..
    i only did the test once so im not sure if theres any differences o_0
    i had a lesson with ism before it and the guy didnt say anything about this test being different to anywhere else .

Advertisement