Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web server spec

Options
  • 30-08-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

hey i was just wondering if you guys could suggest a suitable budget spec for a home made web server. does anybody here use a homemade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 datonster

hey i was just wondering if you guys could suggest a suitable budget spec for a home made web server. does anybody here use a homemade?

Really depends on the amount of traffic going to be hitting your site. Windows comes with Personal Web Server and if running Win 2000, you have IIS. Remember that bandwidth coming in may be limited even with DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

well its as much for practice/learning purposes as anything else but it would also be used to host a site with not much traffic, its a small business that recieves very little hits. my hosting fees are due soon so i was just wondering how difficult it would be to host it myself. ive read a small bit about pws before.

Getting it up and running is fairly easy but you need to watch:

1. Bandwidth
    2. Setting the firewall up to allow traffic through while protecting you internal data.
    3. IIS especially is insecure enough. Might be worth look at Apache Web Server.
    4. What technologies are you using on your pages? If you use ASP then IIS/PWS and so-on
    5. If you have a domain, you will need to link it to your static IP address. If your IP address in dynamic, thread carefully. There is a site dynamic dns that gives more info on this.
    6. Do you need to facilitate e-commerce functionality?

Sounds as if the average PC should be okay for hosting and doing a bit of messing with.

im trying to use some ASP but the site doesnt really need it thats why i want something to practice on. ill be learning JSP this year so again ill want to practice that. what effect will the processor speed, hard drive size, memory etc have on my site?

To be honest not a whole lot of difference. Server side scripts like ASP/JSP do put a load on the server but not a whole lot again depending on the number of users hitting the site. Will you need room to expand further later on?

• Advertisement

nope. and how many sites can i host on the one machine? one?

Unsure about PWS but with IIS you can host as many as you want in different virtual directories.

Advertisement