Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to David Hickey? He got £250,000 from a BOI mistake?

Options
  • 30-08-2004 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Back November 2001 David Hickey was given £250,000 by Bank of Ireland by accident while transfering money to Spain. It was in the papers and on the news but I was just wondering what ever came of it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1668687.stm

did he settle? sounds like the right thing for the bank to do to avoid any more bad publicity? was the money his?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afair, he returned to Ireland and gave back whatever he hadn't spent (most of it) after some strongly-worded legal letters.

I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I assume they settled. I would also assume the bank did not get all of the €250k back , 90% would have been a good result for them .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

funking thief. I'd bet if he lost out 5 euro he'd have been wailing to BOI to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A quick Google shows that 5 days later BOI got a Spanish Court Order to freeze his bank account. Once that happens, you're in trouble, cos what the hell are you going to live on?

Independent Archives don't seem to be searchable, and I don't have access to ireland.com :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

yep, I saw the account was frozen but couldn't find anything after that! I guess if the account was frozen then the authorities were working in the banks favour. If BOI lost my money, I'm not sure I'd expect someone to lock their account! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

they put over 500k into my account once.......for 3 days. as it came from a Branch where a m8 worked I made a gentle enquiry after 2 days and got a pretty damn quick phonecall back. The staff member who did it was only with the bank for 4 months at the time and they all liked her in there.

I did get on the managers christmas list for 12 year old Jemmys and Hennessey for the next 4 years :) though .

M

Advertisement