Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rasmus and 50 Cent Booed off at Reading

Options
  • 30-08-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13208620,00.html
    STARS BOOED OFF BY FANS

Finnish band The Rasmus and rap megastar 50 Cent were were both forced to leave the Reading Festival stage early after being booed and pelted with missiles by music fans.

The Rasmus had scarcely begun their set when the crowd started throwing missiles at them.

And 50 Cent was booed by the crowd before he even stepped onstage.

Despite winning a clutch of Finnish Grammy awards, The Rasmus came unstuck in front of the mud-caked British audience and left after little more than one song.

One festival-goer said: "It was just kids chucking bottles and a bit of mud at them, it does sometimes happen.

"But obviously the crowd here today weren't really their crowd."

Boston group Dropkick Murphys then braved the main stage shortly afterwards to an ecstatic reception.

Mercury Music Prize nominee The Streets appeared on stage later. The 25-year-old Birmingham rapper topped the charts this summer with his string-driven single "Dry Your Eyes".

50 Cent: not welcomed

However, festival fury claimed its second victim when 50 Cent gave in to a relentless barrage of missiles and booing from the crowd.

Even before the lights went up for the main stage appearance fans started chanting and hurling abuse.

As the lights went up the stage was packed with hundreds of plastic bottles and paper cups.

And despite soldiering on for 25 minutes, 50 Cent eventually gave up and left the stage.

The traditional rap call of "put your hands in the air" was met by a sea of hands delivering a one-fingered salute.

The sell-out, three-day festival has attracted 55,000 people a day to watch top names including The Darkness, The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand and Morrissey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and this has what to do with Rock or Metal????

- oh wait THE Reading Festival, I remember that, like I do with Donnington - somewhere where the festival was all about music and not who was popular in the charts - oh how times have changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The Rasmus are a rock band, ergo the topic belongs in the Rock Metal board, QED. Glad they got pelted, maybe now they will realise how bad they are.
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    and this has what to do with Rock or Metal????

- oh wait THE Reading Festival, I remember that, like I do with Donnington - somewhere where the festival was all about music and not who was popular in the charts - oh how times have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

ahh i heard that on spin 1038 earlier.. truely brightened up my day :)

FX Meister wrote:
    The Rasmus are a rock band.

The Rasmus are no more a rock band then I am a techno-dance wiz - they are pure crap - in fact a genre has not even been defined for them, so I will label them (temporarily) as boy band meets manufactured commercial pop rock (like Busted only with feathers) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd like to laugh because 50 Cent is such a complete incoherent tosser, but that's not really on. If you don't like someone's music at a festival, you have two choices:

1. Don't buy the ticket in the first place
    2. Go off and get drunk/food while the acts that you don't like are taking place.

No performer should have to put up with that kind of moronic bull****. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

seamus wrote:
    I'd like to laugh because 50 Cent is such a complete incoherent tosser, but that's not really on. If you don't like someone's music at a festival, you have two choices:

2. Go off and get drunk/food while the acts that you don't like are taking place.

If you dont like their msuic then ya boo them and pelt them with stuff, and then they only play 25 minutes...crude but effective :)

Thats not a genre that's a description, they use distortion on guitars so they are a rock band
    Ph3n0m wrote:
    The Rasmus are no more a rock band then I am a techno-dance wiz - they are pure crap - in fact a genre has not even been defined for them, so I will label them (temporarily) as boy band meets manufactured commercial pop rock (like Busted only with feathers) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

seamus wrote:

Agree completly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

those acts shouldnt have been booked, fans have a right to go to a festival and see good bands without these tossers coming on, yes i know they they were aware in advance that these people were playing but still....i blame the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

FX Meister wrote:
    Thats not a genre that's a description, they use distortion on guitars so they are a rock band

ehh... no... theyre pop. as in "popular". just because they use distortion doesnt mean theyre rock. sure metallica are practically pop now, hmmm... the spice girls had a movie... now metallica do too!! (its out next week in the IFI btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Thats quite pathetic really that bands are booed off the stage. Even if they're bad. The Rasmus suck, but Lauri IS hot. Bless him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

nesthead wrote:
    ehh... no... theyre pop. as in "popular". just because they use distortion doesnt mean theyre rock. sure metallica are practically pop now, hmmm... the spice girls had a movie... now metallica do too!! (its out next week in the IFI btw)

your hardk0re nesthead. I dont really think a band being popular makes them a "pop" band. I think pop has evolved into a type of music rather than being a word for popular music. Wouldnt call the Rasmus pop , I would however call them a **** stain on the pants of modern music.

Those acts have no place at that kind of festival ! Thats why they were boo'd ! I boo'd Pink at Oxegen for the same reason. There were many other bands at oxegen that I didnt like but I didnt boo them because they ahd their place there....but PINK !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i was just reading about this on another forum and just bust out laughing. where's his 9 bullets now, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

nesthead wrote:

Some kind of monster? Wheres the Ifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I will be very much interested in seeing the line up for the next festival after that.

I'm frankly slightly amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

haha good ****. Maybe if this happens enough times all these **** bands will just pack it in and go home. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Tusky wrote:
    I boo'd Pink at Oxegen for the same reason. There were many other bands at oxegen that I didnt like but I didnt boo them because they ahd their place there....but PINK !!!!
    No way! Pink rules!

I saw House Of Pain get booed in Thurles years ago when they came on and started going on about "the war". It was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

this isn't like the old days, lads- 'artists' are strategically put on these festival lineups by management in a bid to gain credibility and 'expand their demographic'. The Sugababes got away with it a couple of years ago (at Glasto I think), I think they only survived due to a combination of the Numan sampled song and the fact that people admired the fact that they had the gall to actually get up there. Now every manager is trying the same thing. Tusky's example of Pink is spot-on, she is the ultimate created-in-a- boardroom mediawhore, anything to sell records. A blanked out swearword here, a festival appearance there, wow she's so grown up and alternative :rolleyes:
    At least Dido is just plain old Dido!

If they don't like being boo-ed then stick to the CD:UK studio I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

isnt reading ment to be like a rock festival? I can sort of understand the rasmus although ****e considered rock, but WTF is 50cent about mixing music genre at gigs is very unlikely to work cause at the end of the day ure never going to please every1, These bands getting booed today will hopeful send a message to the organisers of such gigs and teach them to select a more fitting line-up but tbh the gig sold out so what do the care the money has been got every1 got there cut, the only ppl who lost out where those who paid money to 50cent and the rasmus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I saw this. The Rasmus got off light. I was surprised when they left after one song. They didnt even acknowledge it was because of the bottles which were pretty tame. Compare to the "assault" on 50 cent which was the funniest thing I ever saw. Hed walked off stage previously for being bottled in the US and these stories had been circulating around for ages and as Reading has a "tradition" of bottling unpopular acts everyone knew what to expect. Including 50 cent who brought his own bottles to throw at the crowd. Not the greatest move. He finally left after someone threw A CHAIR at him. Very very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

quite pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Some very poor views here.

I don't like The Rasmus, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be playing the Reading/Leeds festivals. If I were there it would have given me the opportunity to see other bands.

Same with 50 Cent. If Reading/Leeds is "just a rock festival", then does that mean that Jurassic 5, The Roots, and The Streets shouldn't be playing? Heck, even Eminem and Beastie Boys have played in the past. This isn't something new. The festival has always been "alternative" whether it be rock, rap, or dance.

I see nothing wrong with Pink at Oxegen either, which is a festival that caters for popular/alternative acts alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Scumbags, anyone who throws something at an artist. There's no need for it, especially at a venue that has five stages. No excuse. It's not funny at all. It's ****ing bent.

It's dickheads like them who led to us having the caps taken off our bottles at gigs.
    Ph3n0m wrote:

I'm no fan of the Rasmus but your description couldn't be further from the truth. They formed in school and have been releasing albums since 1997. And regardless of your personal opinion on the music, they are a rock band.

Lodgepole wrote:
    I'm no fan of the Rasmus but your description couldn't be further from the truth. They formed in school and have been releasing albums since 1997. And regardless of your personal opinion on the music, they are a rock band.

Thats funny, cause Blink 182 formed in school, claiming to be punk which they sure as hell aint - so whose right and whose wrong???

But as you said, it was my personal opinion and in the end thats all that matters to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Thats funny, cause Blink 182 formed in school, claiming to be punk which they sure as hell aint - so whose right and whose wrong???
    Well actually you're wrong. Blink 182 are a punk band regardless of whether you like them or not. You can make up as many sub genres as you like but pop punk is still punk. And punk is still a form of rock.

My saying that they were formed in school was a direct reference to your use of "manufactured".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Johnnycabs wrote:
    this isn't like the old days, lads- 'artists' are strategically put on these festival lineups by management in a bid to gain credibility and 'expand their demographic'. The Sugababes got away with it a couple of years ago (at Glasto I think), I think they only survived due to a combination of the Numan sampled song and the fact that people admired the fact that they had the gall to actually get up there. Now every manager is trying the same thing. Tusky's example of Pink is spot-on, she is the ultimate created-in-a- boardroom mediawhore, anything to sell records. A blanked out swearword here, a festival appearance there, wow she's so grown up and alternative :rolleyes:
    At least Dido is just plain old Dido!

Sugababes got away with it because they're hot. That simple.

Pink is great. I was listening to an interview with Pink on the radio one day (don't ask) and she was going on about how much her new single meant to her, how much feeling it put into her, how it was her favourite, yadda yadda yadda before saying:
    "I fell in love with it the moment it was put in front of me by my producer"

ROFL!

No way! it made the IFI, the trailer looks rad, that spa drummer, Lars BallLick, as usual thinking it all revolves around him
    nesthead wrote:

Advertisement