Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferral Process

Options
  • 30-08-2004 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Got offered a course last week and have had the intention of taking a year out.

Last year, my brother got offered his course, and from what he, my mother and I can remember, he accepted the course first, then applied for a deferral.

I accepted my course the night of the offers, but kept procrastinating and only went to defer the course yesterday.

Rang up LIT today and found out that the process is to call the college before you accept your course, then (afaik - I wasn't talking to LIT directly) accept your course online.

So, now I'm being told (directly from an email) "You can not defer your place as you have accepted it with the cao you can re apply next year hopefully the points will remain the same". (How did she manage to get into Admissions in LIT?)

Bastards.

Did the deferral process change since last year?

I don't want to risk taking a year out, as I only got 345 this year, and the course was 340. That could easily rise.

I'm not too bothered about going to college this year (most of my friends are going into Limerick), it's just my boss will be ****ing bitching (to put it nicely) as theres a rake of training involved in my job. I can't be arsed commuting and helping him out in the evenings.

Is there any way I could weave my way around it with the second round offers and reserve my course for next year? (The only way this will work if I get offered the same course in GMIT)

Humbug.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Anything I've ever read about defering has always said that you have to write to the college first, wait to see if they agree to it, then accept the offer. In January you put down only that course on your CAO application, and then just accept it again next August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

What subway said, the only condition attached to this that I know of is that you don't take up a different course this year which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

im his brother - i accepted the course thinking i was going to college but then decided to take a year out, rang gmit told them and they said grand grand, sent them a letter, was all fine, they kept sending me out registration forms and shti though but a phone cleared it all up,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Krispie wrote:
    im his brother - i accepted the course thinking i was going to college but then decided to take a year out, rang gmit told them and they said grand grand, sent them a letter, was all fine, they kept sending me out registration forms and shti though but a phone cleared it all up,

Well, that's GMIT. Probably the exception to the rule - they may just be a bit more flexible than LIT are. If LIT want to follow the rules, I dont think there's going to be much you can do to help yourself - except maybe do some grovelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Odd, UL do it the other way around. Accept first, defer after. Which makes more sense to me to be honest.

You can't get around it with the second-round offers - as soon as you accept a first round offer, you don't get a second offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You can't get around it with the second-round offers - as soon as you accept a first round offer, you don't get a second offer. <---er yeah you do, if you get a course higher in preference to your first round offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

crash_000 wrote:
    <---er yeah you do, if you get a course higher in preference to your first round offer.
    Bah, dumb omission on my part, thanks crash.

Duh!:D

Advertisement