Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net2 News on tonight, 11.10

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Truckle is hosting it... <thanks>

www.chaek.org/RTE_NEWS.mpg

If it starts streaming in windows media player rightclick on it and save as to d/l it then watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

damien.m wrote:
    Elana, you were great.
    yes yes , truly an oscar winning performance. Are you making any more cameo appearences on TV, maybe a quick scene in neighbours or eastenders.

At the end of the day broad band seems to just be really in high demand by students (like me :)) and people who are too lazy to rent videos.
    I don't think its as neccesary to business as it's made out to be,link, also i think its really only big business that are arsed changing their whole way of doing thing and getting broadband, as they generally do it as part of cost cutting measures.

BTW that newsreader is far too stern looking , and a bit too thin as well!,
    oh yes, i forgot i'm sure she has heaps of personality.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Excellent.

I particularly like the line that lack of broadband was down to Eircon's stanglehold on the telephone infrastructure.

I think this is a pivotal moment for Ireland Offline, well done Elana!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged, grabbing the vid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

mike65 wrote:
    I thought she looked curvy! :)

My husband told me you said that. He looked quite happy :-).

Okay, lads, here we go...if you come to the EGM...I'll wear that top again.

Thanks to all who got it digitally for me. I'm grabbing it now.

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Thanks to Johnny The Fox for capping the piece. I missed my (highly edited) tv appearance last night.
    It seems that eircom will not be rewiring my street, even after a request from Esat's MD.
    Thanks to Elena for organising this.

Damien C.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

But sure didn't Mr McRedmond say that Eircom are upgrading and even replacing lines all the time?

Be interesting to get some numbers off him as to who exactly has had their line repaired to get DSL when the standard response seems to be that "You will never be able to get it if you're line fails". Of course that information is undoubtedly commercially sensitive, just imagine how fast the investors would run if they knew how tentative Eircoms hold on the market may yet prove to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

We're constantly having to ballance the ammount we invest, eh, with making sure that broadband's available at a reasonable price. Having said that, we are replacing lines, we are upgrading the quality of lines, eh, to ensure that as many as possible eh, can get broadband.
    is what McRedmond said.
    Has anyone taped their conversation with Eircom's reps over the phone when they say that if your line fails then hard poopies on you?
    Someone else has mentioned here before that if your line fails the DSL test then you should ring 1901 and tell them that you have noise on your phone line. They'll investigat this and often fix the problem and then the DSL test will pass. Why can't they just investigate the DSL failures and fix them, without having us resort to lieing to them in order to get them to do their job?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Does anyone else feel like give McRedmond a dig in the head everytime you watch him spout another pile of Eircom lies? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

although the screenshot said www.irelandoffline.com

How come that doesn't go anywhere? Its registered to David Long, but seems to go nowhere within coop.net?

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

cgarvey wrote:
    How come that doesn't go anywhere? Its registered to David Long, but seems to go nowhere within coop.net?
    It's an old registration, points to god knows where. I've asked David to update it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Well done, Elana.

Let's all work hard at and after the EGM to get even more coverage like this.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sorry .. I should have conveyed my congrats earlier .. thanks for the effort Elana, it paid off extremely well.

.cg

What they ^^ said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

DonegalMan wrote:
    Well done, Elana.

Let's all work hard at and after the EGM to get even more coverage like this.

Thanks Martin, and everyone, really, who responded with horror stories.

And Damien, good on you, you did great :-).

And thanks also to the lads who got the video up. My mom is very happy :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I can't believe what I saw :D some of the footage they were showing (the student shots) were from ITCarlows Red Eye competition ( programming competion ) I thought they were going to show me again! I was right behind the Indian boy they showed ( that's why Suns Java pages were show in the Firefox tabs :) we were all cramming java info onto our browsers ) Nice recycling RTE ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

EGM stands for extaordinary General meeting!

I have a dictionary!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FYI, the video is available now from the IrelandOffline website here. Thanks very much to Johnny_the_fox for encoding it for us and Truckle for hosting it while I got around to actually posting it. Very much appreciated guys, thanks.

adam

Superman is banned for.. a while.. due to making multiple inane posts over the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

they were showing (the student shots) were from ITCarlows Red Eye competition ( programming competion )
    I knew the place looked fimilair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

( that's why Suns Java pages were show in the Firefox tabs :) we were all cramming java info onto our browsers ) Nice recycling RTE ;)

Some, maybe all, the Sun pages on Firefox were on my laptop for the interview. I was also trying to plug my Palm app, BusSched (http://bussched.sourceforge.net), and my wife's employer, http://www.ask.co.uk.
    If you looked closely you might have seen ComWreck's and IrelandOffline's sites.
    When Anna, the researcher, suggested some shots of me browsing eircom's sites I said I'd prefer to show ComWreck and IrelandOffline. I tried :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Well done Elana, you made us look almost professional :eek:

I was suprised at how many people actually watch network 2 news. Lots of positive feedback from co-workers etc.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

daymobrew wrote:
    If you looked closely you might have seen ComWreck's and IrelandOffline's sites.
    When Anna, the researcher, suggested some shots of me browsing eircom's sites I said I'd prefer to show ComWreck and IrelandOffline. I tried :-)

Spotted. Thanks for trying.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I saw it too,
    bout time eircom got off their behinds,
    not sure i trust that slimy spokesman that they put out.
    The bit when he says we cant go mad and spend loads of money rollin it out
    cause itll drive prices up was an excuse; nothin to do with eircom controllin all the lines that prices are high..........

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Mega brownie points to my missus for typing up a transcript :D

RTE Transcript

Newsreader Telecommunications companies are heavily advertising their broadband services but only 2% of the population actually have a broadband connection. Lobby groups say poor lines and services mean that people in all areas, including urban centres, have difficulty connecting to broadband.

Reporter - Anna Murphy Conventional internet dial-up is noisy, slow and expensive but with broadband there is no painful connection, its up to 40 times faster than conventional services and it doesn’t tie up your phone line but for many people broadband isn’t an option. Damien lives in a new estate in Blanchardstown. He’s an IT professional; he wants to work from home but he can’t because he can’t get broadband.

Damien Carbery Before we moved into this house DSL was only being rolled out so we didn’t think about it. We just assumed that a new estate would have you know would be enabled. The phone lines for our house and the phone lines for people across our road are from a different wire coming from the exchange and that wire is great; our one unfortunately fails.

Reporter - Anna Murphy Recent surveys indicate that almost half of Irish businesses can’t access the type of broadband services they want and at the moment only 65,000 homes and businesses have a broadband connection. Lobby group IrelandOffline says that Eircom’s complete control of the telephone infrastructure is the root of the problem.

Elana Kehoe, IOFFL Eircom has a lock on all the phone lines in this country and it prevents everyone else from getting broadband. They don’t seem to want to put the principal that they make each year towards repairing the infrastructure of the country and they really need to in order to make it so that every household in this country can have broadband which in this day in age is not a farfetched thing.

Reporter - Anna Murphy Eircom says its aware of the problems and are working to improve things but that there are limitations to what they can do.

David McRedmond, Commercial
    Director, Eircom We’re constantly having to balance the amount we invest with making sure that broadband is available at a reasonable price. Having said that we are replacing lines, we are upgrading the quality of lines to ensure that as many people as possible can get broadband.

Reporter - Anna Murphy For the moment it’s a case of buyer beware. If you need broadband make sure in advance that your new home or business has it.

Damien Its quite a frustrating process. If we were moving house again then yes it would certainly be a criteria.

John

Advertisement