Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Probs

• 30-08-2004 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Boy, what a messy one this is. All was well, until an unforgetable night, when my pc was hit big time by two viruses. One ReFormat later, my PC is back working again...only this time...my Broadband is unbelievable.

I can log on, surf for about 30secs (sometimes more) before i get disconnected from the internet...forcing a restart of Pc..to gain another 30secs.

What is going on? Nothing has changed as regards my modem...it is setup and configured properly...

Has anyone experienced this before...or could offer some advice??

I run ICS on this connection, but have been unable to get my other computer to talk to this one with regards to sharing files etc...the only thing it will do is Share the Internet Connection. When i disconnect the other machine...the net seems to stay on....

Thanks

Netz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

ISP???

Is the DSL light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Yes..the light is on at all times...

I figured it must be some sort of setting i have wrong...but all is as it should be..and the modem connects...just looses the connection after a few secs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Does a box pop up warning you that the computer is going to restart in 60 seconds?

If so, you've got either the sasser or blaster worms. If you're not getting this, then dunno.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Do you have much ram on the PC? something simular like that used to happen on my other PC when I used cable, when I downloaded a fair bit in a quick ammount of time,. used to use up all the buffer

I have 1GB Ram In The PC

• Advertisement

want me to confuse you even more?

It seems to cut off when i try do certain things...or visit certain pages...

Plus i get terrible download speeds too...

Perhaps its IOL??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Does the pc function normally when it is not connected to the net?

Have you done a virus scan on it to check for the viruses mentioned above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jonnyv

sound like a blaster worm to me, I had a similar problem,

look for the updates here :

http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/default.mspx

Advertisement