Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive finally gone and done it

Options
  • 30-08-2004 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

SHINZONS GOT BROADBAND

WOO HOO, eircom stuff that in your big ratty pipe and smoke it dry

I got it with the irish wan people, due to a peculiarity with the setup i for some reason time out on pings, but game pings are great and downloads are spectacular to say the least

Mes happy mes so happy DUD UD UD UUD U

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Cool! Congratulations and well done.

Now all you need is VOIP and a pair of shears :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Congrats!

It is probably due to ICMP traffic being blocked that pings time out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

How did you find dealing with the Irish Wan people ? I have been trying to contact them and haven't had any responses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

it has taken awhile to get everything sorted out with them alright, biggest hurdle was there was no node for me to connect to for a long time.

but once the los test was done only took 5 days to get connected, as these people are voluntary and are giving up there free time to do this I can understand some delays

best bet is to keep at them thats what i did, any missed appointments for install i either e-mailed or or posted on the irishwan forums making sure another appointment was made straight away

best of luck with it cionn its well worth it when ye get connected

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Wow, if Shinzon can get BB there must be hope for us all at this stage. I never thought I'd see the day the Shinzon saga reached a happy conclusion!
    Good news.

Now if I can only organise to get BB in the deepest darkest wilds of inner Dublin I would be a happy bunny..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Shinzon: Will you plaease give us more info on how you are getting BB through Irishwan. What are the speeds like? I'm interested in it but the website is down at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

bout time to :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The web site was never much to look at, but the forums are still up. And while they're not very active, most of the action is done through PM's.

In principle you share an internet connection that's piped through the WAN. On the SEWAN, where Shinzon is connected, you get about 1Mbps to 2Mbps depending on load. Normally closer to 2 than to 1. In-WAN pings are great, probably about 15ms. Once you hit the Internet it's probably in the 50ms region.

If you have LOS to an existing node, there's usually not that big a deal to get connected. Not exactly a shrinked wrapped service offering, but there's help to get you setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

what a shocker. congrats on FINALLY getting broadband!

Yep im very very happy with this

as regards speeds and things it varies

But i dled an 80 meg file at 112 kbps in 6 mins, online gaming is good on par with eircoms pings but i must warn you it can spike every now and then, but generally its good, nature of the beast im afraid.

All in all ye cant complain for 30 quid a month

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

But don't you miss Eircon? Where's your loyalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Shinzon, If you dont mind me askin, where do u live i.e in what county?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Well, Shinzon , if anyone deserves broadband (apart from me of course :D ) it has to be you.

I'm genuinely delighted for you, your 15 month saga with Eircom is a master 'Broadband Horror Story' with the great sting in the tail that it took one of the smaller independants to finally sort you out.

Enjoy :)

Martin

Shinzon, If you dont mind me askin, where do u live i.e in what county?

Nps at all m8 Waterford

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

shinzon wrote:
    SHINZONS GOT BROADBAND

I got it with the irish wan people, due to a peculiarity with the setup i for some reason time out on pings, but game pings are great and downloads are spectacular to say the least

Shin
    After following your horror story, i applaud you sir. You have been unerring in your quest to get broadband (Have fun with it :D ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

congrants lad i might have to steal the node from u since im only up the road from ya heehhe, but to be honest,im really looking for a DSL service that has no contract ,just like my sis has in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I'm looking to get connected to the Irishwan network myself when I have to move home in a few weeks to 56k hell.

I have a few contacts in Irishwan who may be able to help me. Hopefully, I'll be on the network too soon enough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Swiss I thought you'd never move after all don't you have access to 1.5MB basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

shinzon wrote:
    SHINZONS GOT BROADBAND

Shin

Congratulations, maybe you can show your gratitude to IrishWAN by writing up an ole' report about your failure to get broadband from the mainstream providers and cc it to Dermot Ahern? It might even be something that Ireland Offline could get behind? Afterall, this is a significant issue that should be highlighted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Congrats shinzon, great to hear you finally got there. To echo Raskolnikov, I hope that you'll get a chance to write the whole sorry story up in a short piece sometime, so we can host it on our website as an example of the pathetic situation we're all faced with, and maybe even send it out in one of our newsletters. If you need any help with it - which I sincerely doubt - just give us a shout.

Congrats again,
    adam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It should be fun next week when a Eircom Eng turns up at his house with a modem saying they've installed DSL :p
    :D

Yep ill write it up, just so i can rub eircoms nose in it lol

Shin

Advertisement