Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY Big S***!

Options
  • 30-08-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Ive recently been experementin wit overclockin my cpu an its turned its self off 2wice due 2 overheating
    The main prob is im commng nowhere nere 2 loki and others overclock and i was wondering whether this could b because iv overheated the procesor(i cant sp!) once or twice
    Im using a spire fan an theyre using wcooling but im only getting 2.1ish and even at that its not very stable
    How much more efective is wcooling 2 air?

Thx 4 all de help and deadly forum! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

I dont know if small bits of heating causes long term damage but anything that takes the heat away quicker is better...hence water cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

Generally overclocking isnt great for your system if you dont have good airflow and ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Col loki might have a unlocked chip so can change his mutiplier....

Is urs locked?? If so that'll go against u... Theres loads of different factors, ur mobo, ram, cooling etc all effect ur ability to overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Less of the txt spk please, this is the internet! If you're going to type like a muppet at least use l33t. Anyway, I'd say you'll have to provide some numbers (temperature both idle and at load, clockspeeds of the various components like cpu, memory, motherboard etc.) before you can get useful answers.

I haven't looked at AMDs in a long while, but perhaps even the name of the fab and serial number of the cpu might help in figuring out how much you're likely to get out of it.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

spire fans arent great for overclocking.

Loki has his up so high because he has decent watercooling!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Could just be a poor chip for overclockings? Could be a **** fan?

Short term over heating shouldnt cause too many probs once you address the cause.. Permenent oc'ing will reduce the life of your chip by up to half, so now it will only work for 10 years!! Not exactly a big deal considering you probably dont intend to use it for more than 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I suggest you download prime 95 and run the second torture test for about half an hour. Monitor your cpu temps with motherboard monitor 5 while the test is running to see what temp you get up to.

Your cooling isn't great. There are heatsinks a lot lot better than that. The thermalrights with a good 92mm tornado perform on par with low/mid range water cooling. Top end water cooling is a lot better.

As already mentioned it could be a number of things limiting your overclock like ram ect. Read Loki's overclocking guide and google a bit before you start trying anything major.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    Less of the txt spk please, this is the internet! If you're going to type like a muppet at least use l33t

Hear, hear!

airetam_storm, it would not be fair to compare your rig to some very finely tuned H20 rigs you come across here. Post more details and temps and people here might give you a few tips / tricks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Look into coolermaster jet 7 fans with copper heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Those jet 7's aren't great. If your going to splash out on a high end hsf get an sp-97 and a good 92mm fan.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok a couple of things you should know.....

* Generally AMD XP chips max out before they get to 2.5ghz even with very good cooling, your lucky if you get past that point.
    * They take better to voltage that the intels and AMD64's but still its best to keep it under 1.8v with low/mid end air coolin, under 1.9-1.95 with high end air, 2.05v with high end watercooling (those are max values IMO and thats provided temps are ok.... the higher the voltage the more risky it gets).
    * You should ALWAYS check to see how stable your system is by running Prime95 (torture test). My bet is your overclock will be stable @2ghz and at over 2.1ghz will fail in a min or two. The reason for using prime95 is say your ripping a DVD, 2 hours into it you get a blue screen, an error, restart....... your system just isint stable and you have lost 2hours work (just a random example).

Main problems you have.............

* You have a pretty weak heatsink
    * Your chip is most lightly locked (if its not then that helps, when did you buy it?)
    * Your motherboard has no AGP/PCI lock so the more you increase your FSB the more the hard drives & GFX card speeds up and they will cause instability pretty quickly

I know your prob thinkin because you have an Xp2600+ it should get a faster speed than my Xp2000+ (thats what i thought at the start). With the same system and setup you would be generally right. But as the XP chip manufacturing process gets better and better the overclocking potential also increases even on the lower end chips, so they tend to produce very simular results to high end ones .

Ohh and also my cooling cost over €200 .......

A few questions,
    What are your temps like?
    What Ram do you have (ie speed)?
    Are you overclocking using FSB or Multiplier?
    Have any case fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

The cpu clock is runnin at 180 from 166 with 1.750v

When the computer starts it says fsb360

I think after week39 of production all the chips were locked so mine would b

I have TwinMOS cl2.5 pc3200

I raised the cpu clock, is this linked to the fsb or something?

Now the temp is at 45degres-c after an hour of far cry

I only got a real cheap mobo a EPoX ep-8k9a7i and i not trying to compare to the high spec machines here butjust trying to get best speed with air cooling

Theres been a couple a suggestions on fans and getting a new 1 so which would b the best, doesnt matter bout noise as my psu sounds like a plane anyway!

An l33t?

also have a fan sitting right up against the gfx card which also keeps the system temp down

Go into the BIOS and have a look and see if you can find "dividers" something like 5:3:2 etc and see if you can post up the options.

Around the 180mhz Mark is when your hard disks will prob start to give in if you go any higher, ie thats prob a factor in your stability problem.

Try running prime95 and see if you get errors and tell us what the temps are (run it for atleast an hour to see the CPU max load temp).

There might be no point in getting better cooling as that might not be your limiting problem....... need more details.

Cant find dividers, could it have another name?

And whats DRAM Clock?

Dont have prime95, is it big?as i am on 56k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

that or you could install 21 fans into your pc like one of the members on boards has done, i cant remember his name. But i tend to like the "wind tunnel" effect of having lots of fans.

Cant find dividers, could it have another name?

FSB Ratio, something like 5:4 etc as the option..........
    And whats DRAM Clock?

It has to do with your memory speed, just leave it at 100%/Auto/1:1 ....... like i said i dont know what epox boards are like to use or to overclock with so its hard to help....... Abit/Asus are far easier.
    Dont have prime95, is it big?as i am on 56k

Very small, link in the sticky on this forum.

the closest thing i have 2 options like that ar DRAM CAS Latency and DRAM Clock

What does the dividers do anyway?

Is it the 11.5 thing on my cpu?

Ahh TBH i dont think the dividers thing was much of an option anyway, more like a long shot.

Basically dividers are used to determine the speed of the other parts of the PC. Erm , it takes the FSB speed and uses a certain ratio to find the speed for the AGP (graphics) and PCI (hard disks, sound cards etc).

Ie if your FSB is 166mhz and you use a 5:2:1 , thats the same as 166mhz:66mhz:33mhz (FSB:AGP:PCI). You normally find them on the VIA chipsets which is why i was asking....... incase you had support for 400mhz FSB chips (which im pretty sure you dont).

TBH i think your fsb is prob limited to ~180mhz or so, your board is using a divider 5:2:1 which means....... 180:72:36 , PCI generally gets dodgy between 36 and 40mhz. Ie you can corrupt your hard disk installation.

Basically IMO your stuck around that point for the reason of your motherboard, and even with a new Nforce2 one your cooling prob isint up to too much more im afraid.

• Advertisement

cooling is something iv been meaning 2 sort 4 a long time anyway so a new air cooler as i cant afford wcooling, i think someone recemended a good one earlier in the thread

if i got a new mobo + cooling would this sort hte prob?

Being honest i wouldnt upgrade anything, id try to get your system stable. The AMD XP line is pretty old and i wouldnt advise spending any money on it really......... very few heatsinks will fit newer tech like the Socket754 & 939 & 775 so you wont be able to use it for your new system if you upgrade.

Also if you get to 2.1ghz stable then the extra cooling and motherboard might only give you 100-350mhz depending on luck........ is it really worth it when you could prob upgrade to AMD64 (selling your XP and using the money you were going to upgrade with)....... that puts it a little more into perspective. Even if you get 2.4/2.5ghz your going to be round the AMD64 3000+ mark and thats the AMD64 on stock.

Why not get your system stable at around the 2.1ghz mark and see if you need/want extra from it. It takes very good cooling and luck to get the XP's to the 2.5ghz and over mark (its easier with mobiles but you still need luck).

well i was using an athlon700mhz with a gf2 mx untilln prety recently and i just bought the cheapest thing i could call a computer but aslong as i can play hl2 and upcoming games il b happy enough

I was reading your sticky on overclocking but i found just raising the cpu clock did the trick good enough along with the voltage, is this the same thing you said with different names or something?

CPU clock is just another variation of FSB, depends on the motherboard.......

I started the overclocking sticky and havent had time to finish it, ahh i will get back to it some other time.

didnt u start that months ago! :D

Yea started it ages ago when i was on work experience, had loads of time then (updated the other sticky aswell)....... but now i just have too much to do.

how far are the dual xps done?

Systems built , systems booting, it needs either a BIOS flash or i have to mod the XP chips (the older BIOS revision should support dual XP's, just have to try it before i start modding).

It has 2 x Xp2500+'s with a GB of RAM and some lights and stuff. Its just beside me and i prob wont do anything with it until i need it for college. The system im using now is doing pretty well....... just need to get some spare time when im not hungover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Hey Col_Loki you have probably seen this thread already but it has some good info on it for a dually

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=310702&page=1&pp=15

and has anyone here been mad enough to try this mod

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/guides/unlockbartonwk43/unlockbartonwk43-2.htm

• Advertisement

Ud be nuts 2 try that mod, a mm or 2 out and ud be fooked :o

Advertisement