Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No-Limits Cancellation

Options
  • 30-08-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I didn't really know where to start this thread so I will put it here... Does anyone know a way in which I can cancel my subscription to esat no-limits? Would ringing the sales number suffice or would I have to send it to them in writing/e-mail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

ringing them can work... altough they do say in their rules "you can cancel at any time by applying in writing to....", but depending on who you get on the phone they will cancel it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

DamienH wrote:
    I didn't really know where to start this thread so I will put it here... Does anyone know a way in which I can cancel my subscription to esat no-limits? Would ringing the sales number suffice or would I have to send it to them in writing/e-mail?

Just give them a ring and ask them to cancel. You might need to send an email to confirm your cancellation. That's what I did, and it was cancelled no bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Distasteful as it is to me to disagree with one of the Weigl clan, I gotta say: Please don't rely on either a phone call or an email for your No Limits cancellation. Esat's horrendous incompetence when it comes to billing is why IrelandOffline exists today, and posts here have demonstrated that there has been very little improvement in their billing department.

If you want to be sure that they don't try to collect from you again in a month, or six months, or have a debt collection agency chase after you in a year (I'm not bitter), use a belt and braces approach: Cancel, and ask specifically for a dated, written confirmation of the cancellation. If you don't get the confirmation, ring them and remind them. Over and over, until you get it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

dahamsta wrote:
    Esat's horrendous incompetence when it comes to billing is why IrelandOffline exists today, and posts here have demonstrated that there has been very little improvement in their billing department.
    I'm in the middle of a nice little situation here - Esat sent me a letter saying they forgot to charge me for some of my service, so I'm going to be charged €89.22 (exc. VAT) for services from 13 April of this year. Never mind the fact that I have this "service" a year, and they have yet to manage to successfully take a direct debate out of my account.
    By the way, if you do get on to their mind-numbingly long queuing system of a customer "care" line (1904) for God's sake, just hang on and don't use their stupid non-functional callback service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

dahamsta wrote:
    Distasteful as it is to me to disagree with one of the Weigl clan, I gotta say: Please don't rely on either a phone call or an email for your No Limits cancellation. Esat's horrendous incompetence when it comes to billing is why IrelandOffline exists today, and posts here have demonstrated that there has been very little improvement in their billing department.
    adam

Can't agree strongly enough, happened me too after a telephone cancellation.
    I'd moved house (It's why I cancelled) and by the time I found out what was happening, they were trying to charge me for over a years access at £25/month (no calls made during the period!)

NiallB

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dun wrote:
    I'm in the middle of a nice little situation here - Esat sent me a letter saying they forgot to charge me for some of my service, so I'm going to be charged €89.22 (exc. VAT) for services from 13 April of this year. Never mind the fact that I have this "service" a year, and they have yet to manage to successfully take a direct debate out of my account.
    By the way, if you do get on to their mind-numbingly long queuing system of a customer "care" line (1904) for God's sake, just hang on and don't use their stupid non-functional callback service.

I have similar problem. I got a letter saying they forgot to charge me too and I'm gonna be charged €72 exVAT. I have been using NoLimits for about 3 years I think. Dunno why I should suffer for their incompetence. Did you ring to complain about it? I am considering it though it'll probably be a waste of breath. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd echo the above sentaments, get confirmation and then get confirmation of that too :)
    I changed my credit card shortly after getting BB and I've been ringing them nearly every month since this to get them to charge me. I still get a letter every other month telling me I'm overdue so I ring them up, give them the new number which they can charge on the spot, but can't for some reason enter that in the system for future payments over the phone. So I get the change of details form which I post back to them (you can't fax it in as fax machines don't work in telecomunications companys). They never receive this in the post, or loose it, and next month we start the whole debacle all over again.
    I got really ratty with the girl on the phone last month when she rang me to tell me I was late in paying. I said I had changed my details with them 4 times now and they still couldn't get it right. She seemed to get a bit upset, but I've been dealing with their incompitance since January so I've really had enough. At the end she just said she'd see what could be done and promptly hung up on me. I haven't heard anything since, and they have sent no letter yet so it seems thay were able to change the unchangeable billing card number over the phone after all.
    Other than that I've had no problems with BB or any other part of the service, just the billing dept.

Just give them a ring and ask them to cancel. You might need to send an email to confirm your cancellation. That's what I did, and it was cancelled no bother.

I guess I wrote that in a hurry. They should send you a confirmation if you email them saying that it has been cancelled. If they do not, contact them and demand confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Agree absolutely with all the above, after being booted off the service all those years ago they had the audacity to try and charge me for a month extra.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dun wrote:
    Esat sent me a letter saying they forgot to charge me for some of my service, so I'm going to be charged €89.22 (exc. VAT) for services from 13 April of this year. Never mind the fact that I have this "service" a year, and they have yet to manage to successfully take a direct debate out of my account.
    Again, it's really sad to have to say this (after all this time), but this is par for the course with EsatBT; they're renowned for this kind of idiocy. A new rule should be defined for the company, saying that if they don't collect on what's owed to them within a certain period of time, they should owe you the relevant amount. It would bankrupt the company in a day, no joke.

Once again, it has to be said: Bill, if you're reading this, you completely screwed up your priorities when you took over EsatBT. Billing, billing, billing, it's Corporate 101. Seriously, you should be ashamed of yourself.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I thought they would buck themselves up eventually, but no hope.
    byte wrote:
    I have similar problem. I got a letter saying they forgot to charge me too and I'm gonna be charged €72 exVAT. I have been using NoLimits for about 3 years I think. Dunno why I should suffer for their incompetence. Did you ring to complain about it? I am considering it though it'll probably be a waste of breath. :(

Yeah, I tried to ring them yesterday, but foolishly went on to their "queuebuster - we'll hold your place in the queue and ring you back (hardly likely)" system. Going to try again later. A friend of mine got a similar letter for a smaller amount (NoLimits too), so I'm wondering if it was only Donegal customers.

If there was any other flat-rate internet option that I could pay seperately to the phone bill, I'd be on it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dun wrote:
    If there was any other flat-rate internet option that I could pay seperately to the phone bill, I'd be on it.

Yeah, if UTV offered flat rate on its own without tying it with their phone service, I would be on UTV internet very quickly.

I must admit that this is my first ever issue with IOL/Esat, but it still p1sses me off having to pay for their incompetence. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

A friend of mine got a similar letter for a smaller amount (NoLimits too), so I'm wondering if it was only Donegal customers.

I live in Co Sligo and got a letter too, (No Limits as well) for €59.18 ex VAT. Anyone know why the balls-up? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

iam going to be cancelling iol anytime by the end of the month it will be fun waiting on the phone to get through to them if only they where as fast in setting up the account for me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post, but I'm having major probs with Esat. They've charged us double for the no-limits over the past year, are sending the bills to previous addresses and are charging us for dialling up in the daytime when we were definitely offline. I've rung and complained more times than I can count, and it just isn't getting sorted. The "supervisor" was meant to call back, doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. 2 questions:
    - what would be a good alternative to No Limits for the around the same price?
    - any ideas on how to get them to pay back what they owe, could reporting it to the regulator help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gnu wrote:
    - what would be a good alternative to No Limits for the around the same price?

As far as I am aware of, the only non-Esat and non-Eircom offer is UTV at www.utvip.com

180 hours any time for 24.99 a month. Some people have been having problems with it though, but I believe they have been mostly resolved (at least I have not heard about any UTV problems recently, whatever the reason for that may be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

As far as I am aware of, the only non-Esat and non-Eircom offer is UTV at www.utvip.com

180 hours any time for 24.99 a month. Some people have been having problems with it though, but I believe they have been mostly resolved (at least I have not heard about any UTV problems recently, whatever the reason for that may be).

IOL, UTV and Eircom are the only providers listed on the Ireland Offline Flat Rate web page.

(I though I heard a reference to Smart Telecom, or one of the other CPS providers offering Flat Rate? IFA Telecom seem to be reselling IOl Anytime)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Thanks folks, I will look into these

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If you are cancelling get names, dates and get them to email and post comfirmation to you. I ordered an engineered installed BB from them in Dec. Heard nothing for weeks and then as i ended up moving home i rang up to cancel the order in Jan and told them to cancel the direct debit form i had sent in. No problem, they said. Got your man's name and dept.

A week later, i got a welcome to ESATBT pack with my account number and stuff. Rang again...no problem, they said, you have been cancelled.

In July, over 300 euro was debited from my account (Money earmarked for a creditcard bill). I was charged for an engineer installation, and 3months connection. I got on to them straight away and told them i was not a customer of their's, no engineer had come and that i knew for a fact there was no broadband at my old house and i wanted my money back. Anyway after talking to 3 or 4 people, i got reimbursed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement