Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Marks Awarded In French Aural!

Options
  • 31-08-2004 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Well everyone remembers how ridiculously hard it was. I was sure there was no possibility of an A1 for me when I walked out the door after it, but after looking at the marking scheme I'm beginning to see how I scraped it.

First of all here's a link to the marking scheme (PDF): http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2004/LC010ALP1EV.pdf
    The aural scheme is at the bottom.

Attached to my post is a photo of the top of it. In bold print it basically says that for every question with 2 parts i.e. an (a) and a (b), or simply give 2 points, they take the part you got most marks for, and they give you those marks for each part! So say, for example, Section I Q3, there's an (a) and a (b). Say I get (a) completely wrong, and (b) completely right, but according to the marking scheme I'd get full marks for both (a) and (b).

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this apart from just downloading the marking scheme. It's pretty hard to believe they'd give out so many free marks, but it seems pretty black and white in the marking scheme.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Still wouldn't have made much of a difference on my paper, I'm afraid. I had to guess nearly every answer, so the better out of two zeros isn't of much use to me. A shame, too, as my written paper was, in my opinion, approaching B quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I'd say it made around 5% difference to my whole paper. I remember never getting 2 points for the questions but making a good stab at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I didn't actually find the aural that hard... I suppose I'll see how I did in it in a few days though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

i was waiting till the end to go back over it all and add bits in- except the examiner took up all the papers right after it ended. You're meant to have time afterwards. I was leaving and other classes were still listening to the tape. :o

I got a C1 and i can say anything in french, _anything_ :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I got a D1, and I'm delighted!

My aural was my most promising thing, and on the day it was the worst. But meh!

• Advertisement

I'm really looking forward to seeing how I did in my oral, because I thought that went really badly... she started asking me crazy questions about how I'd apply to get a visa to work in a bar in New York, after I mentioned I might be going there for a few days on holiday... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Well they don't actually tell you what you got in the oral. You have to work it out. Do they give you the overall marks you got when you view the script? If they don't all you can do is make a rough estimate as to your oral mark.

Say you got a B1, that's somewhere between 320 marks and 340. So if you get your overall marks e.g. 323, just minus the total marks you got in everything else (which you have in front of you), and that's your oral result. But if you don't get your overall mark you have to look at the marks total from everything else, say 245. Then all you can say is that your oral mark was somewhere between 75 and 95. Unless you get 220 marks, then you know you did a perfect oral otherwise no B1. That's so annoying though, why don't they just give you the bloody oral mark.

Well, yeah, obviously I won't know exactly (unless I did get full marks... :p ), but I'll have a rough idea. Although our French teacher told us that for the first time this year, if you appeal, your oral is remarked too, from the tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I left that aural in the biggest pisser of my life, some inconsiderate prick left their bag beside the tape player and left their phone on, it interupted the tape every two minutes and to avoid embarrassing the prick,the invigilator said that it could of been coming from something outside. She kept having to rewind it and play bits over, you'd think it would of helped but it did the opposite and then the quality of the tape was a disgrace in itself.
    The actual questions on the paper were too difficult, and then whoever was talking on the tape was going at it like he was talking to other french people, like.
    I thought I'd made a mess of the whole thing except I was chuffed when I went in to view the scripts and saw that I got the majority of it right which was nice. Came out with a B2..not too bad by any standards.

Advertisement