Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on Imported Yoke

Options
  • 31-08-2004 9:49am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

If i was to import a car from england that was 10 years old. Am i required to put it through an NCT immediately? Is there any grace on it?

I ask because the car i am taking home from england with me will not pass an NCT until i have more cash, but the VRT is already big enough and then have to get reinsured over here too. nightmare. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Vehicles imported from Northern Ireland and abroadVehicles imported to Ireland from outside the State (including Northern Ireland) must also go through the NCT (once the vehicle is 4 years old or more). This applies even if the vehicle previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test abroad. NCT test certificates will be issued for a period of 2 years, after which the vehicle (if still in Ireland) must be tested again.

The NCT on these imported vehicles is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin. (Again, the NCT will only be due once the vehicle is at 4 years old or more). Read more about importing a vehicle into Ireland here. After you have imported your vehicle and paid Vehicle Registration Tax you receive a Vehicle Registration Certificate. Bring this to your nearest NCT centre and have the vehicle input on the NCT database so that a record of your vehicle is kept. The next day, a test can be booked for your vehicle by contacting NCT (see 'Where to apply').

more info nct.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just as i had feared. I have no money for VRT, Insurance and NCT repairs.
    Bankjob perhaps.

Cheers!!

Shiv

how long did you own the car in uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Just as i had feared. I have no money for VRT, Insurance and NCT repairs.
    Bankjob perhaps.

Cheers!!

Shiv

hey shiv... i imported mine about a year and a half ago.. and still havent got an NCT and have insured it twice (first and second year) and taxed it about 4 times and have had no bother at all....
    i will get it done soon though just to be covered... its just i was in the same boat as u.. paying for everything i diddnt have money for it

Later
    Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you import it now, you have a year from the date of registration to prepare it for NCT

• Advertisement

If you import it now, you have a year from the date of registration to prepare it for NCT

i was under the same impression but it's not exactly correct.

[QUOTE=hey shiv... i imported mine about a year and a half ago.. and still haven't got an NCT and have insured it twice (first and second year) and taxed it about 4 times and have had no bother at all....[/QUOTE]

you never got any notification as the car isn't on the system. unless you register imported car with nct guys, you will never get the appointment from them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I only bought the car in March with full MOT. But stuff has happened since that i was saving to get fixed (its a 1993 mini - **** goes wrong)

VRT is 315
    Insurance is 1300 (I live in Dundalk, Louth - Nightmare)
    Cost for repairs i estimate about 400 ish.
    Now you might say get rid of the car, but I love it and apart from a major mechanical fault developing (CV Joint is on its way out) its in pretty good nick for a mini.

PS, the reason for my return to Éire is to go back to college, so yes, 2000+ is not easily obtainable right now.

Shiv

March , you would get away with not paying vrt after this month , according to this rule:

* People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    * People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps

NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

Advertisement