Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Micheal Moore show

Options
  • 31-08-2004 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Otherwise shown as the RNC. Is that going to get any coverage in Ireland do you know? Beyond sound bites.

So far all I have seen is

a) 3 guys singing.
    b) Michael Moore eating a hamburger.
    c) Someone giving out about michael moore in a speech, cue to MM with boos in the background.

I swear they only invited him as novelty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Oh god good.
    Is it actually an entire show dedicated to him? Linkeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Hobbes wrote:
    Otherwise shown as the RNC. Is that going to get any coverage in Ireland do you know? Beyond sound bites.

So far all I have seen is

a) 3 guys singing.
    b) Michael Moore eating a hamburger.
    c) Someone giving out about michael moore in a speech, cue to MM with boos in the background.

I swear they only invited him as novelty.
    I remember when Republicans used to meet in hotels around Monaghan and Cavan..disguised as *ahem* Irish Language Enthusiasts Conventions.

Seriously - Don't think there'd me much coverage over here - there was a bit of Ed Koch last night saying 'I'm voting for George Bush'...(Sadly, the footage of Angela Landsbury telling him to say this wasn't shown)

TBH, there's little can be said about the RNC...fundamentilists attend rally, fundamentalists nominate fundamentalists for ticket for presidency, world goes 'Ho-Hum - where's Osama when you need him'...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They showed a little more now as well.

Turns out Bush is using 9/11 footage to boost his political career. Lets hope all those people at ground zero are republicans. :p

Showing more on TV now. Intresting that they are being extremly christian fundamentalists, but they are keeping it off the floor. But they showed footage off the floor.

I also didn't like the Winston Churchill comment in relation to saying he was like Bush. I am pretty sure Churchill wasn't that great of a prime minister.

Heh don't know who gave me negative rep (and tbh you did no damage to my rep so you must be new).

However I wasn't making 9/11 jokes. I was pointing out that Bush was using footage of him at ground zero to promote his running for 2nd term.

The reference to the hoping people in the picture are republicans, is because I am pretty sure anyone wasn't a republican would be p!ssed off to be in one of those footage pictures... hence the negative rep probably proving the point.

There was a report in yesterdays Times, (think) about the convention and that Moore was there in his capacity as opinion columnist for one of the papers. Anyway, one of the speakers on the podium ain't aware of this and proceedes to wade in...'we won't be told what to do by idiotic film-makers, but stay with us for Arnie' etc and Moore just stood up and gave him the two fingers.

Or something like that...

• Advertisement

Or something like that...

It was nothing like that. John McCain called him names, they panned to Micheal Moore laughing at McCains comments and then he did an 'L' sign for "Loose".

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=148

mike-rnc.jpg

I see the republican spin has already started. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Hobbes wrote:
    Heh don't know who gave me negative rep (and tbh you did no damage to my rep so you must be new).
    Haha. After almost 10,000 posts you needed some negative karma.:)
    (wasnt me btw).

Hobbes wrote:
    It was nothing like that. John McCain called him names, they panned to Micheal Moore laughing at McCains comments and then he did an 'L' sign for "Loose".

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=148

mike-rnc.jpg

I see the republican spin has already started. :)
    Call it republican spin if you will...Moore giving the GOP two fingers whilst actually in the bearpit would have put him up a few notches in my book.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that giving the 'L' sign was a cop out....fecks sakes, where would we be if motorists stopped flicking 'V's at each other and instead went for 'L's...

point taken on not reading the report correctly, mind! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that giving the 'L' sign was a cop out....fecks sakes, where would we be if motorists stopped flicking 'V's at each other and instead went for 'L's...
    Probably wise he didn't. If he had given the finger, the FCC would have gone ape. The networks would have been flooded with letters crying out about the terrible things the kids could see (after coming home from gun practice) and they'd then proceed to show this event in a new "live" format, two minutes to cut anything out they don't like, just like at the MTV awards (which are generally as shocking as a grannies' tea party, no matter what they try and make you believe).

Exactly ioxy. I think MM knows how to play the game so that they can't accuse him of something.

Incidently noticed this news story..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3614082.stm

Quite amazing the racism in the election. What is more scaring that rather then Kerry telling the republicans to GFT, he stopped talking French instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Oh come on. If Moore had given the two fingers (or even just the one) to the podium, they'd just have had Cheney tell him to go **** himself... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

politics aside, he is just too ugly to be on TV, you might as well have Marty Morrisey or Ryan Turdby on the TV, oh wait........... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Wtf was he doing there in the first place? "Security" cant be that loose on a republican convention ffs.

Who - Moore? Officially accredited hack for some paper or other. They sent him for a deliberately partisan view...

He was invited to report at it by some news company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

If you are so inclined you can stay up tonight and watch Bush's speech on Sky News at 3am...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wtf was he doing there in the first place? "Security" cant be that loose on a republican convention ffs.
    It's all there in the article. Read the article (he was on an assignment from USA Today)

Loved this from the BBC article:
    And Commerce Secretary Donald Evans, went so far as to accuse Mr Kerry of "looking French"
    As the article says, no-one's saying that Kerry looks Jewish. Heavens, he probably eats cheese as well. Bush looks like his dad and that's not really much of a recommendation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

davej wrote:
    If you are so inclined you can stay up tonight and watch Bush's speech on Sky News at 3am...

davej

I hope it's something like this (posted on After Hours)

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/presaddress2.shtml

where he seems to have swallowed a truth pill :D

Fans of Dubya, and The Day Today and indeed Chris Morris will be thrilled to know there's an 'easter egg' on the Dee Vee Dee of the Series which shows (I think) that same thingum....

disc two, mini news, point up...invisible hotspot...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'll probably stay up to watch Bush this morning...

I have to say though that the speakers on the first night (McCain and Giuliani) were very uninspiring. They were incredibly repetitive and their speeches seemed to have very little substance. I found myself losing interest very quickly in both speakers. I didn't bother watching last night. I just saw a few news clips of Arnie and the Bushes.

Michael Moore looked happy as a pig in shite when McCain mentioned him. All publicity is good publicity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement