Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-prescription lenses

• 31-08-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if any of the high street glasses shops sell their frames with non-prescription lenses, i.e. clear glass?

I'm planning on the scholastic look being big in the autumn, but suffer from 20-20 vision.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

.....This has to be a troll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Typical two-eyes response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Asok wrote:
    .....This has to be a troll?

If it 'has to be' then why have you phrased it as a question?

Surely the posting of statements with inherent contradictions would be something a troll would do, rather than asking bona fide questions? Troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

To answer your question, I'm sure that if you trotted along to Specsavers and told the nice lady/gentleman there that you wanted to hand over your hard owned money for a pair of *those* with clear glass, they'd be only too happy to help you.

Money for old rope, innit...

(btw, i'm only guessing, mind, but I can't see any 'ethical dilemmas' about selling clear frames to somebody. As opposed to shops selling, for instance, eye-colour-adjusting contact lenses which SHOULD require some kind of formal expert advice...)

I actually do wear glass so :P
    I just cant see why anyone would want to waste their money on a pair of frames with clear glass in them, Won't you feel a tad silly when people realise you have perfect vision and you are just wearing them to be "fashionable"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Asok wrote:
    I actually do wear glass so :P
    I just cant see why anyone would want to waste their money on a pair of frames with clear glass in them, Won't you feel a tad silly when people realise you have perfect vision and you are just wearing them to be "fashionable"
    Answered your own question there....'fashion'....

I suppose in the way that some glasses wearers pretend that they don't wear glasses by using lenses, there are those who don't wear glasses and would like to pretend they do....

I didn't realise the four eyed community was so sectarian and insular!

And how will people come to realise I have perfect vision? Does your little elitist clique carry out regular spot checks on its members to root out charlatans?

If someone asks to try them on I'll say they are only very mildly corrective, as I was getting headaches after long hours looking at a screen. I might however, be stuck if I find myself in the situation where someone wants to start a fire by focusing the suns light through them, but I'll either carry a lighter so the situation never arises, or we'll be on a desert island so I'll come clean and then kill them and nobody will be the wiser.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Spec-savers won't. I was in the one in Liffey Valley with a friend and spotted a really nice pair of sun glasses for £100 (it was a few years back). I tried buying them and after about half an hour of explaining that I didn't need a prescription or an appointment for an eye test because my eyes are fine, I just wanted to buy them with the plain lenses that were already in them, for the price marked on them, she told me they couldn't sell them to me without and eye test, prescription and ground lenses(another £100 or so)

It's all a money racket, if they don't sell them to you, they'll find someone else who will pay for all the other bits and pieces.

I dunno I suppose its each to their own, Personally I think its a waste of money but then again I hate having to wear glasses and cant afford lenses so im the bitter specticle wearing loon in the clock tower with the high powered rifle cursing as the kickback cracked my lense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Having once worked in this area i can tell you that you can indeed get plain lenses put into the frame of your choice. It costs the same as perscription lenses as the same amount of work is required to fit them to the frame and they cost the same when supplied by the lens manufacturer. So basically it's like buying a regular pair of glasses without the test. Just enquire around.

• Advertisement

Having once worked in this area i can tell you that you can indeed get plain lenses put into the frame of your choice. It costs the same as perscription lenses as the same amount of work is required to fit them to the frame and they cost the same when supplied by the lens manufacturer. So basically it's like buying a regular pair of glasses without the test. Just enquire around.
    Thanks for the info!

/me goes back to trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

well i guess you will have to start wearing them as you get older anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

jesus h christ, as soon as i became 13 yes 13 i refused to wear glasses, i got contacts, not that i have anything against people who wear glasses, glasses just bothered me. glasses dont look "scolarish", tbh, they look like glasses.....

there is a reason why people wear them, and thats to improve/help one's vision....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I got a pair of glasses with computer glare-less lenses. (glare less as in the glare is less, not - there is no glare) They are pretty good, probably worth the money too.

If you are going to get glasses that would be as expensive as prescription lenses I suggest you get these. They are good for driving and watching telly and working on computers. It slightly mutes the brightness around you but only very slightly, almost unnoticably.

Glasses rock, I have 20-20 and have always wanted to wear glasses, now I can. Although, I don't wear them when walking and such like, that's.... MAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

ah yes glasses can make a man look intellectual and attractive..but then..what if you don't live up to that?.heh heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gordon wrote:
    I got a pair of glasses with computer glare-less lenses. (glare less as in the glare is less, not - there is no glare)
    Anti-glare? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

ah yes glasses can make a man look intellectual and attractive..but then..what if you don't live up to that?.heh heh.
    It's just a matter of keeping your mouth shut - better staying silent and appearing intelligent than opening your mouth and proving you're not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

To answer your question, I'm sure that if you trotted along to Specsavers and told the nice lady/gentleman there that you wanted to hand over your hard owned money for a pair of *those* with clear glass, they'd be only too happy to help you.

Money for old rope, innit...

Sounds very strange, i'm sure if the manager found out the salesperson would have gotten a bollocking. The frames are about 98% profit for them. They take a hit on eye testing to get people in the door so someone looking for just frames and clear glasses is more profitable.

I recently broke my glasses and went to get a new frame, they wanted €100 for just the frame, the lenses would have been €40. I would have said for sure the lenses would cost more.

Advertisement