Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible Slipping Clutch?

Options
  • 31-08-2004 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic Coupé, which I bought some time back.

It runs like a dream, but recently I've noticed the following.

When accelerating, the engine can sometimes rev, without giving the expected performance. This is only occasionally. Most of the time, when you accelerate, it does exactly what you expect. Also, the clutch is creaking/squeaking a bit when I push it down.

Does this sound like a slipping clutch, or worse still, a nackared clutch?
    Any insight appreciated..

Kev.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

It could be just something as simple as a worn clutch cable or cable not adjusted or routed properly or tensioning spring not doing its job if it is an auto adjusting cable.

It may be the clutch release arm has broken or is loose on its mounting so check that for any play as well. It could well be your clutch though.

You will know if the clutch is slipping if you floor it in 2nd or third and the revs rise quickly but your speed does not match engine speed, or maybe even revs like you are in neutral.

You can also do a check from stationary if you leave the handbrake fully on and raise the clutch in 3rd gear. If it doesn't cut out then it is slipping.

Does the bite point feel high or low on the pedal? Is the creaking coming from the pedal or the box itself? Does the pedal "feel" different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You will know if the clutch is slipping if you floor it in 2nd or third and the revs rise quickly but your speed does not match engine speed, or maybe even revs like you are in neutral
    That's pretty much what's happening. Usually the car takes off after about 3000 revs, but sometimes, it revs up to 4 or 4 and a half without doing very much.
    Does the bite point feel high or low on the pedal? Is the creaking coming from the pedal or the box itself? Does the pedal "feel" different?
    Can't really say if it feels high or low.. but the creaking is audible outside the car, moreso than the inside. The pedal can feel a bit 'rough' sometimes, but generally it's okay.

K.

Ok, so the creaking isn't coming from the pedal then?

I'd definitely pop the bonnet and trace the route of the clutch cable. Locate the bit where it meets the arm on the gearbox (I think it will probably be LHS of your car as you look from the front and may be obscured by air filter or battery) and check for any looseness in the arm or cable. You may be lucky and just have a loose mounting bracket for the arm or a clutch cable in need of replacing - how long have you had the car and do you know if it was ever replaced?

Of course, you could have bigger gearbox problems and you might have oil getting on the clutch plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Sounds like a clutch prob alright, best bet is to have a garage take a quick look at it, and they'll let you know on the spot.

PS Irish rover, nice car in sig! Rover 220 turbo coupé, if not mistaken. Niiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

how long have you had the car and do you know if it was ever replaced?
    I picked it up at the beginning of the year from a garage on the Naas Rd. It was serviced at the time, but I reckon it was your standard garage 'service'.. As far as I know, it's never been replaced.

K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

IrishRover wrote:
    I'd definitely pop the bonnet and trace the route of the clutch cable. Locate the bit where it meets the arm on the gearbox .

well, i could be wrong but think this model had hydraulically assisted clutch (no cable)

Anyway

it's clutch ok. l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Guys i know nothing about cars except that i hate to get ripped off when getting a service! My clutch is giving me a few problems, after a mile or two it feels kinda soft... any ideas? Am i looking at a new one or can this be repaired? P.S. Service is tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

what is the car jo.king

Gmodified wrote:
    well, i could be wrong but think this model had hydraulically assisted clutch (no cable)

Anyway

it's clutch ok. l

Fair enough, if it's hydraulic forget the cable. No harm in popping the bonnet anyway but you might as well plan on getting it to a garage soon while it's still driving.

PS Dr. Dre, yeah that's it alright and I do love it! :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Gmodified wrote:
    what is the car jo.king

Sorry guys ... its an Alfa Romeo 156 1.6

• Advertisement
Advertisement