Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Buy A Games Magazine Every Month?

Options
  • 31-08-2004 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Just wondern,do you buy a games mag every month or often if you do which one do you buy?Interested to know if many or any people here in ireland buy the magazines listed on the poll.Vote on the poll,but only vote on the magazine in which buy.If you buy more than one per month or often you can also vote on the others you buy.

Which Gaming Magazine Do You Buy Often? 27 votes

PC Gamer
    0%
    NGC
    51%
    StevenAtomic PineappleMoriartyKarl Hungusthe_sycoorangeroostercr1spyDeadwingj0e9otbaKazuPhil_321Scratch AcidBatbat 14 votes
    Play Station 2 Max
    3%
    Kazu 1 vote
    Play Station 2 Official Magazine
    0%
    Xbox Gamer
    11%
    Jaymac23JBoyle4evabriandarezmuter 3 votes
    Edge
    0%
    Games Master
    18%
    Dont be at yourselfMthor5nestheadtuxyhonru 5 votes
    Computer And Video Games(CVG)
    3%
    Atomic Pineapple 1 vote
    Official Xbox Magazine
    3%
    Deadwing 1 vote
    Xbox World
    7%
    Atomic Pineappletipperaryboy 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PcZone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was buying a few magazines during summer but it was mainly to stop me going crazy during the night shifts i had to work. Don't bother now. IGN.com rpgamer.com and the excellent eurogamer.net are enough to do me and they are free. Theres no such thing as a magazine exclusive anymore. They always get leaked on to the net and usually have exaggerated scores.

Two magazines I would buy are Gamestm for the excellent retrosection and the joiurnalism is of high quality, and american magazine EGM for reviews of import games, the great 3 reviewer system and the excellent articles.

One magazine i will never touch is EDGE. Got this months edition for the treasure article. The rest of the magazine including the reviews was a load of pretentious ****. I didn't read half of the magazine it just bored me silly.

I wouldn't touch any other magazine especially PC Gamer who's reviews seem to be based on how much money they receive from the publisher.

I have to kudos to the playstation magazine Play. they are a terrible mag but they lost a lot of exclusive reviews for giving terrible games low marks (hapened when they gave Manhunter 3/10 for their exclusive review).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Whats with all the freakin' polls?

I used to buy a English N64 mag when I had that console. It was brilliant. Reviews were excellent, and it was pretty funny to. Anyone remember the name? I think it might have just been called N64, and then they changed the name to 64...I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How about adding to new options to the poll "none of the above" or "I don't buy magazines because all the info is available on the net"
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Xbox World
    Their is a lot of games magazines therefor i cannot include all of them.I wanted to include more but the poll would only allow me 10 choices.I know pc zone is the best PC magazine

• Advertisement

Xbox World
    I do agree with whoever said eurogamer.net is an excellent site.As to whoever said he ust to buy english n64 mag,well buddie all of em are english

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its ok boy.

It was called N64, now known as NGC.
    Btw, use the edit button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Official Xbox Magazine
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I have to kudos to the playstation magazine Play. they are a terrible mag but they lost a lot of exclusive reviews for giving terrible games low marks (hapened when they gave Manhunter 3/10 for their exclusive review).
    Play always kinda sucked tho. Ever read psw? That used to be such a cool magazine, it was like an FHM for videogames. Then it went down the tubes and now it just plain sucks.
    Anyone remember Arcade?? That was hands down the best multiformat magazine ever. What happened to it??
    And youre right retro, Edge is pretentious ****. Gamestm is like edge, without the stick up its ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Always get GamesTM every month. A top magazine with a great retro section as well as covering all the major formats. (it's not in the poll D'OH!!!) :D

Xbox World
    As i said earlier i cannot include every mag in the poll.Anyway ive never heard of gamestm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deadwing wrote:
    Anyone remember Arcade?? That was hands down the best multiformat magazine ever. What happened to it??

Yes i do remember it. And remember it fondly. Only have a few issues but it wa a great mag while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I get GamesTM every month and have a subscription to Retrogamer magazine. I get Edge every once in a while, but it can be really pretentious quasi-highbrow rubbish.

Arcade was indeed great and I have every issue, but it came out at the wrong time. It's very similar to GamesTM, but the market wasn't right for it back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

im shocked the joke of a mag pc gamer was included in the poll but pczone wasnt... well okay not shocked but surprised and i buy pc zone every month even if the last few mags havent been as great as normal.... or maybe im out growing them one or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

sometimes i buy NOM but it's fair crap. there's a major lack ofdecent releases for the nintendo consoles lately. that will pick up soon enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

NGC
    PC gamer sub here. That along with one or two other mags are perfect reading material while on the porcelain throne.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

PC Format count?

Its got games, but also loads of other quality **** too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I read Nintendo Official Magazine every month, and whatever random crap is lying around in the backroom in work (Official PlayStation 2 Magazine today...). GamesTM is great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Xbox Gamer
    I get the OPS2 mag, really because it gives demos, but it also has great review sections, but altough I like this mag, I do feel like it's a bt of a rip-off @ €9 or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

pc zone , dvd ver. every second month , sometimes every month .

Official magazines are the work of corporate demons and demagogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

NGC
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Official magazines are the work of corporate demons and demagogues.
    Im not too sure about that the reviews in PCGamer are pretty much spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Cabaal wrote:
    How about adding to new options to the poll "none of the above" or "I don't buy magazines because all the info is available on the net"
    ?
    Yeah that gets my vote tbh.
    I used to buy them just to have some demos to play, now I've got broadband and I can just download them, instead of forking out like €12 for a load of reviews I don't want to read, written by people who think they're funny. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, haven't bought a games/pc magazine in ages, there's no sense paying for them (usually at extortionate prices) when all their content is out of date and readily available on the net anyway.

Im not too sure about that the reviews in PCGamer are pretty much spot on.

So that explains why crud like RTCW and SOF2 get 90%+ review scores.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

PC Format

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I buy GamesTM when I remember to or I have the cash to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I read Nintendo Official Magazine every month, and whatever random crap is lying around in the backroom in work (Official PlayStation 2 Magazine today...). GamesTM is great as well.

why doesnt that surprise me
    :rolleyes:

The only magazine I read is GAMES TM. IMO its by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Games Master
    I infrequently buy GamesTM and EDGE, and that's it.

Also: Future recently bought C&VG and PCZone. C&VG has been discontinued, and who knows what they'll do with PCZone, seeing as they already publish PCGamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i use to collect pcgamer than i changed over to pczone. I dont collect any now.

My favourite games magizine was the Sega Saturn Magazine. Even after the saturn was dead the magazine continued spending most of the issue taking the p*ss out of things (they had a great whats wierd in japan section at the back) I think the reason i went over to pc gamer was because someone from sega saturn magazine said they were changing over to it. Its been ages so i cant really remember.

I hated Games Master and CVG, mainly because they were really childish.

• Advertisement

hated Games Master and CVG, mainly because they were really childish.

Gamesmaster used to be good at the time when Sega Power was still around. Something went wrong when they got some of the PC Gamer crowd working for them and wrestling game started getting far too much attention. Ah, Sega Power, now there was a magazine that I would never miss an issue of.

Advertisement