Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ultima online?

• 01-02-2000 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

everytime i walk by a shop in town and see uo in the window, im half tempted to buy it.
    ive been like this for months now, recently i found out a bit more about the game.
    i love the concept of it and all that, its just that everyone i have talked to that plays it, plays it every day for hours.
    i dont want this to happen to me cos it costs way too much, and it destroys my real little life(ive been there b4).
    so what i wanna know from u guys is how often u play it, and for how long, and is it really worth it? aaaaand, if i do play ill be playing with a 56k aaaaaaaaand how long will it take me to get a decent character built up.
    basically just tell me all about it smile.gif
    thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

YOU WILL LOSE YOU LIFE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well I'd say get it.

As for how long people play it, I tend to find I'm on for at least an hour each go. Which does add up to quiet a lot of time, but if your playing quake online its probally not much more than that, maybe smile.gif

As for how long it takes to get up a useful character, well it all depends on what you want really, and if you really really want everything to be GM, it can take a good while, but if you just want a character thats better than average then 2 days or so macroing and training with other players. Its not something you can give answer to since the its totally up to you.

As for the 56k thing its more than grand, the ultra low ping isnt as importent as a nice steady one in ultima, but it does help.

Keep in mind it costs 9 quid or so each month as well to play.

btw is summer over yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

at least an hour? smile.gif

Typical situation.
    - Rev Pages. Want to do (whatever)
    - Sure I'm at Location X
    - I'm at Location Y, meet me.

You turn up and he goes "I'm off". smile.gif

As for how long you play. It depends on you. I don't play it as much as I used to. A couple of hours on the weekend and prehaps an hour or two a week if possible.

Ahh well you see Fishing, I'm not always there and I treat it as IRC when I am.

Notice I hardly fish since Venom became Ahab the Great White hunter, and multi-millionaire.

God knows why they put fishing into the game. It's like they want you to Macro.

• Advertisement

Ohh so true :p

another typical situation :-

Rev Hellfire : What u up to.
    Hobbly : Fishing
    .... 4 hours later
    Rev Hellfire : Back, what u up 2 ?
    .... 4 hours later
    Rev Hellfire : Back again, what u up 2 ?

and so on and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I packed in the fishing for a bit as I have my tower deed,1000's of reggies and 200k in the bank.Been wacking thieves with Kaleb the last few days.Del cow spawn attracts them like mad.1 hit ebolt kills are mad fun smile.gif

Just a warning, there appears to be either an exploit that someone is nicking peoples stuff, or a problem with banks.

Either way, people with large sums of cash are complaining of gold vanishing without trace. I recommend converting as much as possible into house deeds and keep them on you, also don't put gold into containers in your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

thank god!
    i was talking to a guy and he plays it about 4 hours a night thru the week, and then about 20 hours or more on the weekend.
    thats what was putting me off, at least now i know that i can kinda play it casually.
    so i think ill get it sometime next week or weekend and try it out.
    thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hi,
    Ive also been curious about UO and Everquest.
    Im a MUD veteran of a few years and have the phone bill to prove it smile.gif my question is , how do these games compare to your standard mud? apart from being graphical that is.(hmm, come to think of it , is UO graphical?)
    Thanks
    Dustaz

• Advertisement

Well UO is a isometric view, which I personally prefer in these sort of games, while everquest is first person, which I think kind of ruins it.
    Theres more PvP action in UO, although thats been controlled more and more.
    Neither of them are really like muds, but UO is the closest. Although this is kind of like comparing UT and Q3A and asking are they like DOOM, there both a world away at this stage.

Depends on if you like 3d or not. I prefer UO, don't know if that's because I started with that, but it's much easier to see all around and see who's saying what.

UO unlike EQ you can do anything you want anytime (barring skills). For example you can go to any dungeon with whoever you like. You may not live but that's another issue.

For EQ it's a different story. You can really only go with equal or close to level characters. So if your lvl 5 and all your friends shoot up to lvl 10, your screwed. Not to mention depending on the character you become you start off in a different area of the map.

AC is a little like EQ in look. But unlike the others, getting vassels is the key to the game. The more vassels you have under you the more power you get. So when I first played, I was met by some mofo kick azz character handing me a flaming sword and telling me I would get more if I swore allegience to him.

AC+EQ have load times when move levels, UO doesn't.

All in all, UO seems to be the best. You can monster bash, kill people or just sit around and chat. UO puts no serious restrictions on what you cand do, which can be the best and worst part of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

What Shard do you guys play on?
    I'm on Europa myself. Seems like most of you are on other Shards 8/

We're all on europa smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Whats the server situation with everquest .and which is better.EQ or UO

-=20-40=-
    Unreal Tournament for FREE !!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Uo is better than EQ
    IN UQ u can get houses and stuff like that
    EQ is just running around bashing monsters that give you .1 xp for a level
    Lads , is it really slow getting up mining at the last 10% koz im been hacking at mad at the mountain and its not going up
    Do u have to get the right ore ??
    Im nearly GM swordsman and Tactics now

Apoc

No idea, I've never mined. There's probably something on it on stratics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

My fisherman fas 90 mining as well and I have noticed its slow going up.I been told by a few players thats you need to mine the 2 highest ore's that you can to get best skill gain.Tho the last patch is said to make the skill gain easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Ok
    Thanks lads
    Ever try killing terathen avengers in terra keep ?
    They are extremely nasty
    Good xp and loot there too
    Good thieving spot for u lads too smile.gif

Advertisement