Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 31-08-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I just got BF: Vietnam from cdwow yesterday (at the low low price of 22 euros). Anyone have any advice/urls for BF newbies to get up to speed with things? (I have the 1.1 patch installed btw).

Also - any idea why the in-game chat/kill text is so small and blurry and half impossible to read? I remember having a similar problem with the original demo of battlefield 1942, but that was ages ago when I had a different graphics card, cpu, motherboard and RAM.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Do you have anti-aliasing turned on? And what resolution? I found certain combos made the text really hard to read, especially if i had AA on.

AllSeeingEye really is the best proggy for finding servers, people keep recommending it but it really is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ahoy Stephen. Welcome.

First of all I'd advise playing on the Irish servers (I'm assuming you have BB). Ip's etc can be found in the sticky at the top of this forum. They are probably the best servers' I've ever come across, mostly devoid of muppets (with exception of course). If you have any questions in game any of the regulars on Viet-Navan should be happy to help out.

I'll probably be there myself tonight, if not look out for any of the [TiG] lads. Imo BF is a very newbie friendly game. If you want you can get the PoE mod for vietnam. It basically modernises the game with American and Russian vechiles / weapons etc.. (some of which I think are concept designs) and introduces some new maps. Its an OK mod, but the original Vietnam is still better imo. Not sure if theres mirrors around here somewhere, Winters is on holidays and hes usually the one who updates all that lark.

Not sure about your text problem, sorry. Also go to #tig.ie on quakenet if your on irc if you have any more questions.

Enjoy.

Hmm...fresh meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I gave up IRC several months ago due to a combination of being pissed off with the amount of utter assholes on it and the fact that i still spent so much time on it anyway, meh. I'll have a poke at the irish servers tonight. I tried to join that navan one last night but it just timed out :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Welcome to battlefield stephen! :)
    This, and enemy territory are, imo, the best online games around, so you made a good choice!
    The text problem, as koneko said, is probably an AA problem. I turned AA on on my card (9800 pro) and it made all in game text smudgy and hard to read, so try turning it off. As for irish servers, youve got Navan & Cavan, (ip's in the sticky on this forum) and also NRG (the clan im in) have a server too at 212.42.16.117 and port 15567. Download The all seeing eye program (i forget the web address, so youll have to google for it). It basically shows you all active servers closest to you, whos playing on them and what thier ping is.
    Have fun!

IP for Navan is

www.allseeingeye.com
    D'oh. Whats your screenname Deadwing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

its in his sig jim.he plays under "animal"

Aye, An1m4l it is :)
    Im on navan a fair bit, ive played with you a good few times Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Deadwing wrote:
    Aye, An1m4l it is :)
    Im on navan a fair bit, ive played with you a good few times Jim
    A fair few times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Andrew Fotzpatr

none of the servers at the top work on bf 1942

Thats because there is no Irish BF: 1942 server (that I know of) atm. All the Irish servers are BF: Vietnam, and the 1942 mods Interstate and Pirates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Welcome stephen. As said, u have chosen wisely in picking BF:V its a great game tbj. Lots of fun can be had from it, so just jump on any of the servers listed and join in the fun :)

Deadwing wrote:
    The text problem, as koneko said, is probably an AA problem. I turned AA on on my card (9800 pro) and it made all in game text smudgy and hard to read, so try turning it off.

yeah i have that too, i think i've just gotten used to it tbh :). its sucks when yur trying to write down yur GUID from the console though :)

also NRG have a server too at 212.42.16.117 and port 15567

Is yur server still up, cuz it doesn't should up in ASE when u add it.

Its actually down at the moment, were using a temporary server that i cant remember the address of :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

koneko wrote:
    Do you have anti-aliasing turned on? And what resolution? I found certain combos made the text really hard to read, especially if i had AA on.

yeap same here also if AF on. i've tried a couple of different catalysts but to no effect.

Advertisement