Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fan for amd 64

Options
  • 31-08-2004 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

if i were to buy an amd 3000 for example what fan should i get for it?

something that might stand up to the stress of a little overclocking should i fell the need

someone said a thermalright but they just look like giant heatsinks, is it possible to affix a 80mm or 92mm fan to them?

help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you must attach a fan to the thermalright heatsinks unless u want to make an expensive mistake!!

Id recommend the zalman cnps 7000alcu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I'd recommend the thermaltake silent boost. CPU is right now sitting at 34degrees with the fan at 45%.

Not sure how it would stand up to high overclocking, but it's quiet effective and easy to install.

Have also heard good things about the Zalman, but check if it fits your motherboard first - its quite big/heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

someone said a thermalright but they just look like giant heatsinks, is it possible to affix a 80mm or 92mm fan to them?
    Yes, the thermalright I have is very easy to attach a fan to, you just hook two clips on each side into some holes on the heatsink and then hook them onto the screw holes on the fan, very quick and effective.

Edit: Oh yeah, it comes with clips for 72mm, 80mm, and 92mm (the one in sig)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The Thermalrights are the best performers. The sp-97 being the best Amd one. Stick a good 92mm fan on that with at least 50cfm rating.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I am running a 3400+ clawhammer with this Zalman fan http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=17399 but I've only assembled my new comp and been running it since yesterday, it seems like a beast of a fan and works nice-ly with the cool and quite feature of my neo platinum, I will post up temps later.
    Richy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah the Zalmans offer excellent performance to quiteness ratio but is rather expensive. But if noise is not a factor the best air cooling on the market is a thermalrigh heatskin with a powerfully 92mm fan but again rather expensive. Someone mentioned a thermaltake K8 silent boast. I use to have one was okay but not as good as the zalman. Then again its a lot cheaper.

Advertisement