Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of the Partridge

• 31-08-2004 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

Aften I dont know how long, Richie Partridge finally makes a return to Liverpool colours with a starting place, on the right wing, in the reserves for their game tonight against Nottm For.

Hopefully he'll get to kick start his career, although with the signings of Nunez and Garcia its hard to see him getting any kind of run in the first team.

Darren Potter also starts - in central midfield.
    There's a bloke called Daniel O'Donnell playing centre half. He's progressed from the youth team to the reserves. He was born in England, but I'd said its odds on that he qualifies for Ireland!

I'm surprised that Luis Garcia isnt involved. I thought it would have been a decent opportunity to get him more playing time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

G'wan Richie!

After so many years of loyal service in championship manager, i feel he deserves his chance to shine in the real world!

Now if only he could keep injury free, he could be a revelation this season in the premiership. Or at least in division 1 when he goes out on loan...again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    After so many years of loyal service in championship manager, i feel he deserves his chance to shine in the real world!
    Aye, I'm suprised Sigames have kept so much faith in him all this time. :D Am I right in thinking Partridge is now Liverpool's longest serving player? His testimonial shouldn't be too far away. ;)

Is there anywhere that does updates of Liverpool reserve games? Even a forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

eirebhoy wrote:
    Am I right in thinking Partridge is now Liverpool's longest serving player?
    Think you might be :D

Don't know on the reserve match updates - you'll get info tomorrow but unless anyone goes to the match with a laptop I can't see there being any updates being posted onto a message board. Liverpoolfc.tv might surprise you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

you'll get an update straight after the game on liverpoolfc.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

AaaaaHaaaa.........

Back of the Net.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Tomorrow now , they were due 2 play Forest tonight , but Forest , due 2 transportation difficulties , would not be able 2 make it to the Racecorse after all , so the game has been postponed until the first of September !!
    Good Luck lads !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

AaaaaHaaaa.........

Back of the Net.....

say Brigadier you're english , what opinion do you have of our little Richie ? :)

Cm loves Richie , but will Football Manager be so kind ?:confused: , hopefully . :)

It was cancelled at 5.15 this evening - Notts Forest bus broke down on the way!

these things happen to Div 1 clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

why do people keep going on about him when he's barely played a match for liverpool and none for ireland and is constantly injured just like kirkland?

he's a liverpool reject who at the age of 24 has played 1 game for liverpool. hate to disappoint you lads but he's not too far away from the scrap heap.

Smemon, do you have Paypal? Willing to put a nice bet on Partridge getting a cap for Ireland before the WC?

There are plenty of excellent players playing in the Liverpool youths/reserves and in all of Houllier's time there, Gerrard was the only one to come through. Benitez is only there a couple of months and has already gave debut's to Warnock and Potter. Houllier said Welsh would get at least 15 appearances last season in the first team, how many did he get? It's not Richie's fault Houllier was in charge for so long. Houllier, for some reason, wouldn't sell him to Coventry after his impressive loan spell at the club.

People that have seen him first hand have been singing his praises. He was actually called up to the Ireland squad to play Greece without playing a premiership game under Houllier.

As soon as I saw you had the last reply to this thread I knew you were going to be slating him. I'm positive, avoiding serious injury, that he will be capped by Kerr as soon as he's getting first team football for some club.

Sorry JTG, I am more frustrated than Partridge himself with what has gone on in his career. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

This is from an interview on the Official Liverpool Website with Steve Heighway, who is in charge of the Youth Academy at the club, and it echos eirebhoys comments:
    It's no secret that Heighway and the previous managerial regime did not see eye to eye on certain matters but the director of the Kirkby-based complex foresees no such problems with Benitez.

"The early signs are that things have changed for the better. His willingness to talk football with us is a big change from the previous regime and that is good. There's been lots of opportunities to speak with him already and that can only benefit the Academy," he adds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

There's a bloke called Daniel O'Donnell playing centre half.

tee hee *snigger* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

At 24 he is pushing on. He should have looked for a transfer to a smaller club if he wasnt getting first team football, and done it a few years ago.

If he is that good he would have made the first team , injuries aside.

Daniel O'Donnell , whoever next :):)

Neil Mellor and Richie Partridge made their comebacks from injury for Liverpool but overall it was a disappointing night for the reserves who drew 0-0 with 10 man Nottingham Forest, at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground, writes Steve Hunter.

Forest were reduced to 10 men in the 58th minute when Neil Mellor chased a loose ball and goalkeeper Ian Deakin handled outside his penalty area. An inevitable red card was shown.

Despite the advantage Liverpool failed to impose their authority on the Forest goal and despite the efforts of Mellor and the lively Mark Smyth the service to the front men was not good enough.

It is a disappointing start to the reserve season from Hughie McAuley's side. Liverpool finished second last season but so far have lost two games, drawn one and haven't yet scored a goal.

On the positive side for the Reds, Republic of Ireland Under-21 international winger Richie Partridge made his first appearance for Liverpool for nine months after returning from a cruciate knee ligament injury. Considering he has been out for such a while he did well and had some good moments in the match.

Djimi Traore captained the Liverpool team and with John Welsh on international duty with England Under-21s David Mannix partnered Igor Biscan in the centre of midfield.

Rafael Benitez, Pako Ayesteran, Alex Miller and Paco Herrera were all present at the Racecourse Ground and the Liverpool manager could be seen taking notes as he assessed the merits of the players on show in the reserve team.

After surviving an early scare when Sam Mullarkey headed wide from close range for Forest Liverpool began to get into the game with Richie Partridge a lively figure. After 14 minutes a weaving run from Jon Otsemobor created an opening but on his not so favoured left foot fired over the bar.

A minute later Igor Biscan had a great chance when defenders backed off and space opened up outside the box, but unfortunately his low shot was off target.

Liverpool's best chance in the first half fell on 27 minutes to Neil Mellor and it was a chance the returning striker would normally put away. A superb ball from Stephen Warnock released Otsemobor in acres of space down the right, and from his low cross Mellor miskicked and missed a great chance.

A minute before half time Forest should have took the lead when Patrice Luzi flapped at a cross and James Perch headed wide when he probably should have scored.

Liverpool were much more livelier in the second half and their chances of victory were given a boost when Forest when reduced to 10 men just ahead of the hour mark. Mellor chased a loose ball and the keeper Ian Deakin handled outside the area. The inevitable red card came out and substitute keeper Paddy Gamble came on with striker Sam Litchfield sacrificed.

From the resulting free-kick Stephen Warnock fired a shot just past the post after seeing his initial effort blocked. Then the lively Mark Smyth had two openings when he shot just over the top after linking well with Mellor then he headed over after a good run and cross down the left flank from Traore.

Forest left back James Perch then had a great chance for 10 man Forest when he shot just wide from just outside the Reds penalty area then Ross Gardner curled a shot just past the post.

Liverpool Reserves: Luzi, Otsemobor, Raven, Traore, Biscan, Whitbread, Partridge (Wilkie 77), Mannix, Mellor, Smyth, Warnock. Subs not used: O?Donnell, Harrison, Butler, Guthrie.

Nottingham Forest Reserves: Deakin, Hanson, Perch, Gardner, Hurren, Tarka, Wilmet, Beaumont, Litchfield (Gamble 58), Mullarkey, Hughes (Handbury 85).

Referee: S J Bratt

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Mark Smyth. Worked hard and ran tirelessly for the team cause, and with a little more luck might have scored the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Good to see Partridge getting a good run-out and seeming bright after 9 months out. Given a chance to improve his fitness maybe he can start knocking on the first teams door.

Also great that the gaffer considers the match important enough to be bothering about.

Rafael Benitez has registered the following players for participation in the group stages of the Champions League.

FULL SQUAD

Jerzy Dudek
    Chris Kirkland
    Paul Harrison
    Patrice Luzi

Jamie Carragher
    Steve Finnan
    Stephane Henchoz
    Sami Hyypia
    Josemi
    John Arne Riise
    Djimi Traore
    Zak Whitbread

Xabi Alonso
    Igor Biscan
    Salif Diao
    Luis Garcia
    Steven Gerrard
    Dietmar Hamann
    Harry Kewell
    Antonio Nunez
    Richie Partridge
    Darren Potter
    Vladimir Smicer
    Stephen Warnock

Milan Baros
    Djibril Cisse
    Neil Mellor
    Florent Sinama-Pongolle

I was going to say it was a decent achievement for both Partridge and Potter to get into the 28 man squad ahead of Reserve Team Captain and current England U21 international John Welsh.

However, the LFC website says that a 35 man squad has been picked which includes Welsh. So it ends up being no real big deal to get into the squad. I reckon Paul McShane of ManU might get into their squad also.

35?

Player eligibility:
    • Clubs can register a maximum of 25 players in their "A list".
    • In addition they can have any number of "B list" registered players, who must must have been born after 1981 and must have been eligible to play for the club for a continuous period of at least 2 years, at some point since their 15th birthday.
    • To take part in the group stage (and beyond), players have to be registered with UEFA by 1st September (noon CET).
    • Clubs can register 3 new players for the knockout stage, with a deadline of 2nd February 2004, so long as the total number of players on the A List does not exceed 25 (players can be dropped from that list to make room for the new signings).
    • A new goalkeeper can be registered at any time, if the club cannot count on having 2 keepers because of long-term injury or illness
    • No player can play for more than 1 team during the season, in any UEFA competitions.

Thats interesting.

Liverpool have therefore 10 B players registered, probably: Harrison, Otsemobor, Raven, Whitbread, Welsh, Potter, Smyth, Foy, Mannix and Wilkie.

Partridge is starting again tonight for Liverpool Reserves v Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He scored against Blackburn Reserves tonight, and was given the lfc.tv MOTM too.

[edit]I never realised that Potter was irish! Seems to have found favour with Benitez anyway, he's played a few games under him, hasn't he?[/edit]

Richie Partridge scored a fine equaliser to ean Lirverpool Reserves a 2-2 draw with Blackburn Rovers in a lively encounter at Morecambe FC's Christie Park.
    Playing only his second game in nine months after a serious knee injury, Partridge was a lively figure for Liverpool as he played the entire 90 minutes on the right wing. His goal came after a superb pass from Neil Mellor.

Liverpool had earlier took the lead in the match through a superb individual goal from Mark Smyth, but two mistakes from goalkeeper Patrice Luzi saw Blackburn go 2-1 up. One of the goals was an own goal by the keeper but Luzi then made amends by saving a penalty.

Liverpool went close to winning the game in the final five minutes when Zak Whitbread headed just wide, then in stoppage time Mellor saw his effort cleared off the line.

After three games without a goal Liverpool's second at least have broken their scoring duck this campaign.

• Advertisement

Potter is Scouse-Irish! His accent is pure Scouse.

At least 2, but I think its all 4, of his grandparents were Irish born.

I never realised that Potter was irish! Seems to have found favour with Benitez anyway, he's played a few games under him, hasn't he?

A bit of info on Potter for you...he is a very good player I have seen him play 2/3 times.

To be shown the door by your boyhood idols at the tender age of 15 is enough to shatter the dreams of any aspiring young footballer. But for Liverpool's newest debutante Darren Potter it served only as an inspiration.

Although now fully committed to the red cause, the 19-year old midfielder does not hide the fact that his allegiances once lay with the blue half of Merseyside. Nor does he deny that it was once his ambition to purse a professional career with Everton.

A fan of the Toffees from birth, Potter's fledgling football career was spent under the watchful eye of the Goodison Park youth coaches.

But for reasons best known to themselves the former Liverpool schoolboys captain was released from their centre of excellence four years ago.

It's a decision they could well live to regret.

Rather than let disillusionment set in Potter refused to dwell on this rejection and, after a brief spell with Blackburn, set about relaunching his career on the right side of Stanley Park.

"It's true I was released by Everton at the age of 15," he recalls. "They let a whole lot of us go, only three were kept on, but looking back it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

"As strange as it sounds, I wasn't too bothered to be honest, it didn't affect me in the slightest. I went on trial at Blackburn and then joined Liverpool. Since making the switch I'd say my game has improved and a lot of people have said as much."

Potter quickly rose through the ranks of the Liverpool Academy, where he was a member of Dave Shannon's all-conquering under-17 team that went through the season unbeaten in 2002/03.

His progress was such that it was not long before he was fast-tracked to Melwood where he began training with the first team squad on a full-time basis at the start of last season and he adds: "I think my game has come on even more since moving to Melwood," says Potter.

Those who have followed his career closely will surely agree and Steven Gerrard is just one influential senior figure at the club to have spoken glowingly about the highly-rated youngster.

When asked at the end of last season if there was any up and coming youngsters ready to breakthrough in much the same way he did, Potter was one of the players singled out by the Liverpool captain.

In turn, Potter cites Gerrard as one individual he looks up to at Anfield but stresses he's his own man.

"The likes of Steven Gerrard and the other homegrown lads, are the type of players I look up to but I wouldn't say they've had a big influence on me," he says.

"You have to have your own willingness to push on and do what you can do and hopefully follow in their footsteps."

Amid all the transfer talk that has engulfed Anfield this summer the news that Potter recently signed a new contract with the club went almost unnoticed.

After an impressive last season for the Reds' second string he was rewarded with an extension to his existing contract shortly before reporting back to Melwood for pre-season training.

The new deal ties him to the club until 2007 and, not surprisingly, he was delighted to sign.

"I didn't expect three years to be honest. I was expecting two but three is a bonus for me and great news.

"I found out about the new contract two days after I got back from holiday. I wouldn't say I was uncertain about my future as I still had 12 months left on my old contract but I was just looking to get something tied up for a longer period of time.

"Now I've signed it's a bit of stability for me. The coaching staff have obviously been impressed with the way I've played and I'm pleased that my efforts have been recognised."

When Liverpoolfc.tv spoke to Potter earlier this summer he told us his ambition for the coming season was to 'just get a game in the first team'.

A run-out in the Carling Cup was what he had in mind but with the new campaign just a few days old he's already exceeded those expectations by coming on to make his senior debut in the final fewminutes of the Champions League qualifier in Graz last week.

"It did take me a bit by surprise," he admits. "I knew earlier in the week that I was going to be travelling with the squad but I was given no inclination that I'd actually play. Once I was named on the bench though I had as much chance of coming on as anyone but it still came out of the blue when I was sent on. It was brilliant to be given that chance and I felt great afterwards.

"I think it went alright. I was only on for about five minutes and managed just a couple of touches. As a contest the game was over and the other players were really tired so it was quite easy to step in. It was a nice way to breakthrough and hopefully more opportunities will come my way this season.

"I haven't spoke to the boss much but he told me he was pleased with what he's seen of me, that I had plenty of time on my hands and I should just keep pushing on."

Regular visitors to Liverpool reserve games over the past year or so will know all about the qualities Potter possesses but for those who are yet to see him in action, just what are his strengths as a player?

"I'd like to think I'm quite good on the ball and a decent passer and not a bad tackler. I don't score enough though that's the problem so maybe that's another target for me this year to score more goals."

Potter's impressive progressive has also earned him recognition at international level, where he's aiming to follow in the footsteps of Kop legend John Aldridge.

Despite being a born and bred Scouser who hails from the Scotland Road area of this city, it's in the green of Ireland rather than the white of England that he plies his trade internationally.

He explains: "I think they realised that I had Irish grandparents and seeing as nothing had happened with England they approached me. As soon as the opportunity came along I just took it."It's a decision I've never regretted, in fact it's one of the best decisions I have made. I've made two appearances now for the under-21s and hopefully I can add to that."

The prospect of another locally-born youngster breaking through the Anfield ranks is an exciting one and if Darren Potter can continue to produce the kind of form we've seen of him so far, expect to hear a lot more about him over the coming months.

A boyhood Evertonian he may have been but so to was Ian Rush, Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler, Jamie Carragher and Michael Owen.

Let's hope Potter can follow in their footsteps because it certainly didn't do them any harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Partridge Story on official pool website

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N145938040908-0840.htm

Richie Partridge is hoping Reds' boss Rafael Benitez gives him a chance to prove he has what it takes to succeed at Anfield.
    Partridge is fully fit again after undergoing knee surgery last year and he notched his first goal of the season for the reserves last night in a 2-2 draw with Blackburn.

The Irish youngster knows it's going to be difficult to play his way into Benitez's first team plans, but he isn't ready to give up on his Anfield dream just yet.

He said: "I'm not stupid. I know it's going to be hard to break through into the first team because there are so many good players here.

"I'm just hoping the manager will give me a chance at some stage because I want to show him what I can do. I want to show the fans what I can do as well because, despite being here for a long time, most of them won't have seen me play. I've had too many injuries and too much bad luck but hopefully that's all behind me now.

"The new boss has given some of the youngsters a chance this season and that's great to see. I've felt good in the reserve games I've played so far this season and I'm going to do my best to impress him and the staff.

"I still believe in myself and I still think I can do well at Liverpool. There's no doubt in my mind about that. I don't want to set myself too many targets for this season but I'm confident I can make progress.

"I've not spoken to the manager about my future yet because I've been injured for most of the time he's been here. I'm sure that conversation will take place over the coming weeks and months. I'm just determined to give it my best shot at breaking through and being a first team player here. If I didn't think I could do that then there'd be no point me being here."

Advertisement