Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Contract?

Options
  • 31-08-2004 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I signed up to esats internet/calls bundle dealy in April. To date I have not received a bill from them. They have not yet sent me a contract to sign or a DD mandate. Can I back of a contract that they have not given me the terms & Conditions etc?

Is a DD without a signature valid?

Thanks

Burns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

the bank can't authorise a DD without your signature. However, that doesn't neccessarily mean that you won't have to pay for the calls you made.
    Not at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Esats billing strikes again.
    This has happened to 100's of people with Esat before. One person got a bill the size of a parcel after 1 year.

Call Esat BT on 1904 and sort it out before the bill gets out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Sleipnir wrote:
    the bank can't authorise a DD without your signature. However, that doesn't neccessarily mean that you won't have to pay for the calls you made.
    Not at all.....
    They have taken €55 without sending a bill or me signing the DD mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sleipnir wrote:
    the bank can't authorise a DD without your signature.

They can actually. I set up a direct debit with Eircon over the phone, without need for signing anything, and they have begun siphoning money from me. A verbal instruction is now all that is required (seeing as they record all phone conversations).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

tom dunne wrote:
    They can actually. I set up a direct debit with Eircon over the phone, without need for signing anything, and they have begun siphoning money from me. A verbal instruction is now all that is required (seeing as they record all phone conversations).
    Can't you still go into the bank and cancel the instruction?

I don't see how they can hold someone to a contract if they have not recived a copy of it. Cant read out all the terms and conditions over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

beware of Esats "contracts", signed up with them for Netsmart. They never sent a bill or took anything out for months (i dont have time to check my statements, but why should i anyway?), then call up one week to tell me a 600 euro bill is making its way out to me. They claimed a technical glitch happened which was why no money was debited and wanted full payment.Morons!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bond-007 wrote:
    Can't you still go into the bank and cancel the instruction?

I don't see how they can hold someone to a contract if they have not recived a copy of it. Cant read out all the terms and conditions over the phone.

Absoloutley.

I think the direct debit would be technically different from the contract, but I agree, they can't hold you to a contract you haven't signed or seen, but they can set up a direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tom dunne wrote:
    I think the direct debit would be technically different from the contract, but I agree, they can't hold you to a contract you haven't signed or seen, but they can set up a direct debit.
    The probably have their T&Cs on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

tom dunne wrote:
    Absoloutley.

What I am going to do is this:

1. Cancel the DD
    2. Change phone over to UTV, seeing as ESAT cant enforce a contract that I haven't signed or given a copy of.
    3. Pay esat for what calls I made but they can whistle for any contract.

Any flaws in my plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Victor wrote:
    The probably have their T&Cs on their website.
    I doubt that would hold much water in court. Even eircom send you out an agreement to sign setting out the T&C's. If Mr. Burns never received same or signed a copy, I dpn't think that they can enforce a contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement