Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL - anyone referred to debt collection agency by them?

• 31-08-2004 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

There's a very long story behind this, but I'll keep it as short as possible...

I had an ongoing problem with NTL - something non-technical (I'll spare you the detail) which NTL Customer Care could have sorted without any fuss really. But that didn't happen. :o

I told NTL I would withhold payment on the bill until they sorted the problem, which they didn't. Eventually (a few months later) I got cut off and was sent a bill for under 100 euro for the period during which I didn't pay the bill.

I ignored NTL's demands, but now they have referred the "debt" to a collection agency (Cash Flow Services in Bray). I suspect they have just sold the debt on, but can't be sure.

My question: anyone else been here with NTL and what happened next?

Any other advice on how to proceed given I still think I have a justifiable complaint and don't want to end up with a bad credit record or end up implicitly admitting guilt by just paying up.

Thanks in advance!

Mazza

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just remember that the only way they can enter your home is by court order, and even then they need very good reason.

They tend to turn up on your doorstep and claim that they are allowed to enter your home to recover the debt. They're not, under any circumstances. Tell them you'll only speak through your lawyer and close the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i had to pay the debt punters for ntl too

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

seamus is right, DO NOT let them in, and get a good lawyer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

mazza wrote:
    There's a very long story behind this, but I'll keep it as short as possible...

I had an ongoing problem with NTL - something non-technical (I'll spare you the detail) which NTL Customer Care could have sorted without any fuss really. But that didn't happen. :o

I told NTL I would withhold payment on the bill until they sorted the problem, which they didn't. Eventually (a few months later) I got cut off and was sent a bill for under 100 euro for the period during which I didn't pay the bill.

I ignored NTL's demands, but now they have referred the "debt" to a collection agency (Cash Flow Services in Bray). I suspect they have just sold the debt on, but can't be sure.

My question: anyone else been here with NTL and what happened next?

Any other advice on how to proceed given I still think I have a justifiable complaint and don't want to end up with a bad credit record or end up implicitly admitting guilt by just paying up.

Thanks in advance!

Mazza

i don't know your full story/situation BUT my mother was charged for phone calls (by EIRCON) and there was nobody in the house ! ?

my mother refused to pay the bill because of this !

my mother had to get a letter from my sisters school at the time to say that she was in on those days and hours :rolleyes: .....

my self and my mother had to get letters also from our jobs to say we where in work on those days and hours :rolleyes:

but EIRCON still said we (my mother) had to pay the bill - but my mother wrote into the papers and told her story....

So in the end my mother never paid them for the bill - and we've moved since then and my mother wouldn't get EIRCON in the house because of this...

so we just used mobiles .... but i got a pc, then i wanted the internet of course :D ......

so i got EIRCON to hook me up :rolleyes: - and i got the bill in my name !

But blah blah blah......................

I have broadband now with NTL ( :D ) and i love it ...... we/I still have the house phone but my calls bill is with Smart Telecom ( :D ) .... But my rental is still with EIRCON :( .......

but with smart telecom you can pay your EIRCON bill (line rental) with them - so i'm gonig to do that 2moro !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

mazza wrote:
    they have referred the "debt" to a collection agency (Cash Flow Services in Bray). I suspect they have just sold the debt on, but can't be sure.

This is exactly what happens when an accounts department suspects a default in payment or a possible bad debt. They sell the debt on to a debt collection agency to deal with. (I've worked in credit control for a number of years and you'd be surprised at the expense involved in the administration and chasing after an unpaid debt. Most larger businessess will sell on the debt when the 90 day limit is breached.)

mazza wrote:

To be honest, this Debt Collection Agency probably doesn't give a damn about the history of your problem with NTL. They have a list of Debtors and they want their money.
    I'm not sure how you stand in the case of admitting liability if you pay the debt though... I'd check with a solicitor... or even the Citizen's Advice Bureau (they're free and actually quite useful).

And as for damage to your credit rating... I think you have to be takent to court before this can happen. You'll start receiving solicitor's letters from the Debt Collection Company before this happens though.

My advice... Go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau and check out with them what to do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I used to live in a place where the ntl had been long disconnected. However I did get letters addressed to T Occupant, including some from the debt collectors. So I rang up ntl and they said it must've been a mix up, but the debt collectors' letters kept coming. I ignored them and nothing else happened.

That said - it was in a ramshackle set of flats above a city centre pub where there was no doorbell, so they may have tried to visit but couldn't get in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

This doesnt surprise me in the slightest about NTL. they are the most
    unorganised company Ive ever heard of.. its amazing how they are still in
    business..

I know a few people working in the call centre in Waterford and a few of them
    in sales havent been paid any commission on anything they sell for about the
    last 6 monthse even though they have surpassed all targets givent to them ..
    they have come up with all sorts of excuses.. I was out with a few of them
    last week and the stories they have been telling me have left me gob
    smacked..

NTL have even gone as far as sacking a number of their fulltime sales people
    for menial little things so they wouldnt have to as they are now taking on all
    part time sales staff, giving them impossible targets to reach so now they
    dont have to pay commission as they arent reaching their OTE..

A company that NTL deal with in Dublin have apparently refused to do
    anymore technical work for them until they pay up because they are suppsoed to be bigtime in arrears with payments to this company..

So as far as NTL are concerned, I wouldnt be too worried about the debt but
    it depends on how badly these guys in Bray want their money.. its a fairly small debt to be honest and might not be worth their while pursuing it as
    they might have bought a large amount of debts in one go and just do the
    mimimum to follow yours up along with any other smaller ones.. would definitely be worth talking to a solicitor or at least the citizens advice bureau
    or maybe ComReg or whoever governs that area..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have and still am on their list , and i have a bad credit record because of it.
    Short story , i cancelled NTL when i got sky, it was never turned off, got bill after bill after bill until the threatening letters came in.

I did nowt cba about it really , rang them one day told the name of the person and date and time i cancelled even how the weather was that day. they said they had no record of it. I asked if sucha person worked there and was in that day time they had no comment.

I was up in court a few weeks ago over it (this 3 years old) i wonder how i got on.

kdjac

Advertisement