Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V300 vs V525 ??

Options
  • 31-08-2004 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Which is the better phone?
    Cant seem to find a decent comparison online. And which is the newer phone also, that aint v clear either.
    Most importantly, which has the better camera??
    any opinions welcomed :)

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i bought my self the motorola v300 off this bloke [he didnt know a thing about mobiles] i got it for 120 euro its second hand but only a week old

some deal

the phone is a work of art it has great style, great camera
    buy the v300 mate

you know you want to

what ever one you choose good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

there both nice phones....

the v525 is longer a lighter than the v300 also the v525 is quad-band where the v300 is only tri-band.....the v300 is a neater but heaver than its big brother...

having both phones in my time i found the camera quality of the two are would be almost the same....

the v600 is also a very nice model !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The V525 has bluetooth and a nicer keypad but annoying buttons on the side that keep beeping in my pocket :) ... The V300 has no bluetooth and I hate the keypad ... both about the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

Fungus wrote:
    The V525 has bluetooth and a nicer keypad but annoying buttons on the side that keep beeping in my pocket :)

oh yeah bluetooth - Doh........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lodey

You can get rid of the annoying beeping sounds from the side buttons...

Just follow the instructions for Adjusting the Gain (Volume) Settings on the following website:

http://xlr8.us/hofo/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

As regards quad band, you can allegadley enable quad band on a v300 by flexing, but I haven't tried it yet. Also there aren't any 850MHz networks here in Ireland to confirm it on, so quad band isn't much use to me anyway. Come to think of it, neither is the 1900MHz band. Oh well. I have a v300 by the way and prefer the keypad on it to that of the v525.

edit below:

The general consensus of other moto users is that the v300 and v600 have a slightly better screen than the v500(v525 for vodafone). Camera quality should be equal on all Vxxx, but the newer phones have a better chip in them. They have a clear or white strip around the lens, as opposed to a red strip.

My V300 has a rather poor quality LCD, it seems interlaced like a TV screen! Also, the camera is poor in artificial light, the frame rate drops a lot. My brother's V525 has a much better camera, but my friend's (newer) V525 has the same camera as mine! Seems to be a case of luck.
    The only problem with buying a V525 is that if you're not on vodafone you'll need to remove the subsidy lock and may need to flex the phone to remove vodafone's branding.

The V300 is capable of quad band internally, its the flex that determines what bands to use. For example, Rogers Wireless in Canada offer a V300 that runs on 850/1900 and 900 MHz. The only difference is that the flex removes 1800 MHz to keep it as a tri-band unit.

Someone on Howard Forums reports that his flexed V300 (no flash, just a flex) works on Cinguar Wireless at 850 MHz when it didn't before.

Karsini wrote:

Someone on Howard Forums reports that his flexed V300 (no flash, just a flex) works on Cinguar Wireless at 850 MHz when it didn't before.

Yeah, I would say I came across the same post as you. The trick is to put in a flex from a v500/600.

I tried flexing a couple of weeks ago because my Ring Styles kept crashing. I used a V600 flex, afterwards the phone reported itself as a quad band unit. I simply disabled all irrelevant features by seem editing.

I believe that all the Motorola flexes and software are the same, except that the flexes are modified to disable features not intended for that model and/or network. If only I could find the seem edit to enable 850 Mhz now...

The Vxxx (apart from the v220 it appears) are all based on the same software (triplets) and so generally what works for one works for the other. Is your v300 now reporting itself as quad band? Don't suppose you have any way of confirming that it actually will work on 850MHz, short of a visit to the US.

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote:
    Is your v300 now reporting itself as quad band?

It sure is, "Settings > Phone Status > Other Information > Technology" now reads "Quad Band GSM" and "Settings > Network > Network Setup > Band" gives me three options - Automatic, 850/1900 or 900/1800.
    If I manually select 850/1900 and read the phone's info using MSS it says the current band is 850/1900 MHz where it would usually just say 1900 MHz with the original flex.

The flex I used was SE6400AXXC20A3 (no SMS delivery reports, but can be enabled by seem edit).

Unfortunately I have no way of testing whether it actually works. :(

I wonder if you were to hold a frequency counter beside it when you make it switch, would it show you the phone looking for networks on those frequencies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Hi guys,
    thnx for all the advice, really helped my decision.
    Have gone for the v525 mainly coz i need the bluetooth. :)

Only thing is, dosent seem to be able to send an recieve mms out of the box lol, with they were set up from the getgo.
    Guess i gotta type it all in manually ;/

B

Falkorre wrote:
    Hi guys,
    thnx for all the advice, really helped my decision.
    Have gone for the v525 mainly coz i need the bluetooth. :)

Only thing is, dosent seem to be able to send an recieve mms out of the box lol, with they were set up from the getgo.
    Guess i gotta type it all in manually ;/

B
    http://www.shopmotorola.ca/emea/email_reg.asp?country=GBR&language=ENG

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

what kind of cable do you need to flash new flexes?

Advertisement