Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sims 2

Options
  • 31-08-2004 7:38pm

So, any sims fans out there?

I know that many hardcore gamers find 'The Sims' bafflingly stupid but it is the only game I have ever really played non stop over a period of a couple of years. If there was such a thing as a male 'female gamer' I would be it, because I just don't see the attraction of most mainstream games such as doom, quake, car games, pokemon games etc. But I am a Sims fanatic.

Anyway, The sequel is coming out in a few weeks, the 17th of September to be exact. Unfortunetly for me, this is my leaving cert year, so I won't be able to play it as much as I did when I got the first game which in my opinion distracted me too much for anything else in my life for three years when I started secondary school. Everything else is a hazy blur.

I am looking forward to the game, but my computer will not be able to handle it by far. The system requirements are a bitch:

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:
    2.0 GHz processor or better
    256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

So I will have to use someone elses computer or wait until I get a computer next year for college. Wah.

Here is a short synopsis of the game:

The sequel to the best-selling PC game of all-time

In the The Sims™ 2, you direct your Sims over a lifetime and mix their genes from one generation to the next. You set your Sims' goals in life; fame, fortune, family, romance or knowledge. Give them a long, successful existence or leave their lives in shambles. Take them to extremes, from getting busted to seeing a ghost, from marrying an alien to writing a great novel. Unleash your creativity with the all-new Create-A-Sim, new building options, and the new in-game movie camera. Get ready to mix their genes, fulfill their dreams, and push them to extremes. What do you want to do with your Sims' lives?

Mix Genes: Your Sims have DNA and inherit physical and personality traits. Take your Sims through an infinite number of generations as you evolve their family tree.

Fulfill Dreams: Your Sims now have purpose in life. Do they aspire to a life of fame, fortune, family, knowledge, or romance? It's up to you to decide if they will be a lover or a loser, a prince or a pauper, a fool or a mastermind, and many other choices. Give them what they want and they'll lead a long, successful existence; indulge their fears and risk ruining their lives. It's all in your hands.

Push The Extremes: Will your Sims be left at the altar and need a shrink, or inherit a fortune and become filthy rich? Witness the big moments that make every Sim's life uniquely memorable.

Unlimited Creativity: Generate unique Sims with the new Create-A-Sim, packed with a vast selection of facial features, hairstyles, and outfits. Build dream homes and design neighborhoods with new building, design, and home furnishing options.

Revolutionary Movie-making: Make your own Sim films with the all-new movie-making feature. Create the cast, set the stage, take control of the camera, and capture your own screenplay in action. Zoom in close to record every detail as your very own Sims sitcom unfolds.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I wouldnt call the game bafflingly stupid, frankly most sim games usually get me gripped very easily (I'd be addicted to sim city 4, but my PC is acting up and its running far too slow at the moment).

I just got very bored by the first one very easily.
    Saying that, the new one looks like it has some nice new features, like the DNA, and proper lifespan of each sim.

Whatever happens, its not much of a wild prediction to say that the Sims 2, and all the add ons will be one of EA's biggest cash cows for the next few years, as it has been so far.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah the original sims i found pretty boring. Id come home from work, sitck on the sims, the first thing my sim would do is go out to work, come home and do f*ck all. I found it painfully lifelike. *L* Well...apart from when i walled up all my neighbours in a secret room for days on end until id bumped off the whole neighbourhood...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

HOOORAAAAAAAY i can't wait for it to come out!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Deadwing wrote:
    Yeah the original sims i found pretty boring. Id come home from work, sitck on the sims, the first thing my sim would do is go out to work, come home and do f*ck all. I found it painfully lifelike. *L* Well...apart from when i walled up all my neighbours in a secret room for days on end until id bumped off the whole neighbourhood...
    You've gotta be creative. Come up with crazy houses and storylines and it's lots of fun.
    I'm really looking forward to this. It shoukd be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

i cant wait for this game!!!, ITS GONNA ROCK!!!!! you can grow old and die, OMG OMG OMG OMG......*head explodes*

ahem....yeah should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I saw a video demo of the game, where the "presenter" (someone that had worked on the game) was showing off some of the features. Like, you can cheat on your partner, and people talk about you behind your back.

It looks interesting, but if it's anything like the first I'll get bored with it after a few days and start killing off my sims one by one (making them go for a swim and removing the ladder was a favourite, and trapping delivery people between furniture and letting them die).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Never played this game but might try it in the near future as my brother has all 7 of the sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hope the Sims Haven't learned how to climb out of a pool.
    I also hope your kids can come back from military school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I hate the Sims. I find it to be the gaming equivilant of Big Brother. If I wanted to have fun making people clean their house I'd do it myself. At least the graphics and sound are a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I have my copy booked in Game, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!! There's less than 2 weeks til the game comes out WEEEEEE! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

do you get bonus points if you reserve a game??! I can't wait for it to come out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think you do, and a five % off, although I probably should have preordered it from Smyth's as they have 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i got addicted to transport tycoon about five different times over the years...now THERES a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm not a big fan of this sort of thing usually, but I'm getting Animal Crossing on the 24th! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This will be great. Plus, no more messing around with all the different expansion pack cds!

It's out on the 17th of september!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

simu wrote:
    This will be great. Plus, no more messing around with all the different expansion pack cds!

It's out on the 17th of september!
    Yet...

Momentary relief then.

Wonder how long it'll take people to offer free skin and object downloads online? That really added infinite lifespan to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Looking forward to this too. Sim City 2000 is another great game!

But The Sims gets very very frustrating when things go bad!

That's why I have my haxored espresso machine that restores all needs to maximum green!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The original was boring, and got very old very fast. Having said that, I'm still (secretly) looking forward to Sims 2. A lot. I don't know why.

Geez there's SO many good games out this month, I'll be poor before I know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

crash_000 wrote:
    i got addicted to transport tycoon about five different times over the years...now THERES a game...

TTDLX Talk about addicted... I'm still playing it! <makes some grunts as if deprived of drug of choice for a week> When will there be computer games rehab?

Advertisement