Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Punk?

Options
  • 31-08-2004 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

this topic i feel needs too be discussed,who are punk and whos not?i see alot of bands getting called punk,but why?

the clash,sex pistols,thats punk? and i see why,and i see newr bands like antiflag and aus rotten being punk.and i see why

so why do all random bands get thrown into punk genre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

alot of random bands get thrown into this genre due to their hair colour, speed of they play at, how much they jump, if their vocals are "punk" like and of course their clothes.But what I have suggested there mainly applies to mainstream punk. I don't know alot about punk myself Imainly because I dont listen to it.But thats just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

A lot of stuff falls under punk these days. there are so many sub genres to punk that its hard what to classify and what not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭barney_clergy

20BE are definately punk eh gar ;)

Id class us as a Hardcore band to be honest, more leaning towards punk than metal though. but there are exceptions with particular songs. some of the older stuff like no choices and fail are definatly hardcore leaning towards Metal but stuff like sell sell sell and easter star lean more towards punk. tis best to have no boundaries i reckon and just see how **** turns out. let the music evolve, sure you know yerself barnoid of the barren land!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

YEAH! People agree with me!

Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, Clash == punk
    AFI, Busted != punk

There are borderliners, eg. the first 2 Distillers albums were real punk, the third one was a sell out.

Overall, one requirement for me, as far as punk goes, is that, if you can't hear the vocalist breathing before he starts to sing/shout, then it's not punk, and many so-called punk bands do not meet that criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

How's that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Overall, one requirement for me, as far as punk goes, is that, if you can't hear the vocalist breathing before he starts to sing/shout, then it's not punk, and many so-called punk bands do not meet that criteria.

Euh? You're joking right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭barney_clergy

dude tell me you are taking the piss saying busted are punk

i think they are barno, they ****in gotta be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CKY

i can act stupid and say how **** and ****in waste of space busted are but ill try n keep this topic mature with saying busted even say themseleves there not punk,case closed

i always thought punk 2 b an anti government movement,thats why i get confused seeing bands now a days,altho it seems alot of bands are changing too be more anti establishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I think the Dead Kennedys summed it up nicely in 'Nazi Punks F*ck Off';

Punk ain't no religious cult
    Punk means thinking for yourself
    You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
    When a jock still lives inside your head

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

civilian_target said: "afi, busted != punk"

!= means "is not equal to" (for all you non-programmers out there. :))

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

:( (what happened to the "delete post" button?)

For me it's:
    - not an image.
    - not a sound.
    - not listening to fat fúckers tell you what a "real" punk is ;)

It's an attitude, defined by noone else but you (and MTV ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

a long-winded internet defintition of Punk Rock http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Punk_rock

punk rock has morphed so much, just like all other music genres. there are loads of different types of punk including: Punk rock, post punk , New Wave,Anarcho-punk ,Grunge ,Skate punk, pop punk ,Oi! ,Hardcore punk ,Straight edge ,Ska punk ,Emo, nazi punk

Punk means different things to different people,

at the moment, i'm not quite sure what it means but its probably something like:

An energetic resistance to the social order and traditions of society which manifests itself through an irreverent, 'make your own law' attitude towards life - the music, dress etc being part to that mindset. Punk traditionally would have been anarchistic, hating all forms of rules and law but also more left wing, concerning itself with anger against social injustice and political matters such as capitalism, globalisation, war and the social deficit, it attacks the outrageous hypocrisies in society. This anger is mirrored in the fast-paced, rough, un-polished nature of the music and the lyrics speak for themselves: i see real political punk rock as 'SOCIETIES MUSICAL CONSCIENCE' - as it says in 'American Errorist' by NOFX - "You can turn the other cheak, just dont turn the other way."

lyrics for 'The Idiots Are Taking Over' By NOFX: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/nofx/101674.html <---READ THEM

punk rock can also be music about any topic - love, life etc just played in the aggressive punk way

but then punk is whatever you think it is, dont let anyone tell you different..

if anyone wants to talk about punk with me some more, PM me, its a sbject i like to talk about... i'm sleepy now tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Punk is bucking the trend, going against the established norm.
    Its not a way of dressing, or a particular sound imo, i mean many would laugh at me for saying i think nirvana are punk, but i think thier attitude was very punk.
    Johnny rotten himself said punk is about being yourself, and he got pissed off when he saw people dressing like the sex pistols, wearing leathe rjackets, spiking thier hair etc, because punk was all about thinking for yourself and not copying other people.
    I listen to alot of punk myself, mainly old school stuff like subhumans, DK, and sex pistols, but then again i listen to alot of early goth/punk stuff like joy division, cure etc. But i dont spike my hair (mainly cause i dont have any lol) or wear doc martens and combats, cause i honestly believe punk is more an ideology than an image, and would consider myself to be punk withoutout looking like a stereoypical 'punk'.

And as for busted being punk..thank you. I havent laughed like that in a long time. *L*

I never said busted were punk, I said they weren't punk, and I laugh at those who think they are.
    Punk ain't no religious cult
    Punk means thinking for yourself
    You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
    When a jock still lives inside your head

Classic

I like my punk music I have to admit, but for me, punk is a sound. It's the sort of half-assed, amateurish sound that most good punk has that makes it good. A punk album shouldn't have clean, beyonce-style editing, it should be raw, and preferably fecking loud as well.

Glad to know there are so many AFI & Busted haters out there, I've always been argued with in the past about this, and was beginning to get worried....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah i remember hearing about all these 'hardcore' bands like afi, avenged sevenfold, etc..downloaded some stuff only to find thier all about as hardcore as busted.

real hardcore is sick of it all, agnostic front, madball etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

shiite. hahahahahaa

[/dickhead] :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I like a lot of calssic punk(altough im more of a post punk man) Stooges, Dead Kennedys, Clash, Buzzcocks, Crass, Stiff Little Fingers but I find most modern punk crap (at the drive in and McClusky excepted) can anyone recomend a good modern punk bad or is punk well and truely dead?

If thats the kinda punk stuff you are into , Try Anti-Flag fwww.anti-flag.com their new album "Terror State" is amazing. Try some bands like The Unseen And The Code too, both websites are under the AF records link at the Anti Flag Website

We'll be doing a few anti-flag covers to start of. Hopefully we'll be continuing in that vein with our original material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

I like a lot of calssic punk(altough im more of a post punk man) Stooges, Dead Kennedys, Clash, Buzzcocks, Crass, Stiff Little Fingers but I find most modern punk crap (at the drive in and McClusky excepted) can anyone recomend a good modern punk bad or is punk well and truely dead?
    Amen. Casey Chaos and co. Dunno if they have a site.
    The Donnas. www.thedonnas.com
    Snuff. www.snuff.net
    Rocket From The Crypt. www.rftc.com - Greatest live band I've ever seen.
    Bad Religion www.badreligion.com - Around longer than most.

Punk is a can-do diy spirit I suppose. As an example, one of my favourite punk albums is Husker Du's Zen Arcade from 1984, 23 songs recorded and mixed in 85 hours, all first takes.Amazon reviews.

SLF had their lyrics written by an English journalist, Busted write their own songs so I'm told. So who's more punk? :p

Hey there are lots of good punk bands around at the moment. You just have to look beyond all the crap that's out there. Check out Oxymoron for one. They've been around for a while ... brilliant band though.

"SLF had their lyrics written by an English journalist"
    Yeah sure, Gordon Ogilvie wrote Suspect Device. He didn't write ALL of SLFs lyrics. :rolleyes:

NotMe wrote:
    Yeah sure, Gordon Ogilvie wrote Suspect Device.
    Yes. He did.
    He didn't write ALL of SLFs lyrics. :rolleyes:
    "He & I wrote the majority of S.L.F.'s material." - Jake Burns.

Incidentally Suspect Device is a rip off of Montrose's Space Station # 5. ;)

> Incidentally Suspect Device is a rip off of Montrose's Space Station # 5.

Who?

Going to try some of those punk links posted above, when I get my machine back.
    I would also recommend the Distiller's first 2 albums, you can get them from www.audiolunchbox.com

People keep telling me Tsunami Bomb are great, but I don't like them TBH. You might though....

Who?
    This band. It's a good choice of riff to nick in fairness.
    Going to try some of those punk links posted above, when I get my machine back.
    Snuff have a good rockin free live album which you can download if you subscribe to their mailing list.
    I would also recommend the Distiller's first 2 albums, you can get them from www.audiolunchbox.com
    Yeah thanks, I have some of their stuff. I liked the last album too.
    People keep telling me Tsunami Bomb are great, but I don't like them TBH. You might though....
    Thanks, I think we need a sticky with as many official band websites as possible listed on it so people can check them out.

• Advertisement

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Yes. He did.

Yes. I know. That's why I said it.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    SLF had their lyrics written by an English journalist
    Redleslie2 wrote:
    "He & I wrote the majority of S.L.F.'s material." - Jake Burns.

There's a bit of a difference between your first statement and the second one.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Incidentally Suspect Device is a rip off of Montrose's Space Station # 5. ;)

Cool! Never knew that. Still the SLF song is better.:p

Advertisement